Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Found a cool website with a lot of reviews and info on supplements

Thumbs up Found a cool website with a lot of reviews and info on supplements

www.bodybuildingforyou.com

Stumbled across this site when I did a search for info on NO2 and thought some of you guys might want to check it out. I've looked over some of it and it seems to have a lot of good info on it. Although I do have one question about something that was on it. I forgot where it was exactly but it said that taking in too much protein could cause severe damage to your liver. I was just curious as to how much protein you would need to take in to do something like that? Anyone got any idea?

Cool site. I'm checking it out now. I know some people on here use Prolab's N-Large 2, myself included, so here's a link to their review of that.

Except I have to disagree with something they said:

wait... I can't highlight to copy and paste from their review. Does anyone else have that problem?

Anyway, they said that the chocolate and vanilla flavors taste good? Um... the vanila tastes nasty by itself. That's why I have to put lots of strawberries in it. I'm afraid to try any of the other flavors.

Also, they give a link to buy it at $50 for a 10lb tub. DPS nutrition has a 10lb tub for $40 or so after shipping.

Alright. Someone else see if they can't highlight there.

btw, this site seems to just be a review by what's listed in the ingredients. It's not actually testing the products to see if they meet label claims. I posted a link to a site that did that a few months ago or so, so search for it if you want to see it. They hadn't done many reviews when I posted it, tho.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I wonder who runs that site. Some of it it almost sounds like it was written by someone in high school.

He says things like, "in one article I read," which makes it sound like it's one guy.

And then he says "...almost costed twice as much." Last time I checked, "costed" wasn't a word.

This is from the "Creatine powder vs. serum" page. He does, however, point out that he read some studies that said that creatine serum wasn't as stable as the powder, and that some samples tested contained more creatinine than creatine. That's good that he pointed it out, but I would have been more direct and said something like "Don't waste your money on creatine serum because it's less stable and potentially less potent as well as more expensive."

How many posts can I make in a row in one thread?

He also says you're supposed to load creatine, so it doesn't seem like he's done too much research at all.

omg!!! lol at this!!!!!!!!!!! (from this page)

(About Cell Tech)
    "Of course they work, you'd be seriously mistaken to think MuscleTech would make something so expensive that doesn't deliver results."
    ^ ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So cost = effectiveness, huh?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahaha.

no.

At least he goes on to say that Cell Tech is "not really" worth the money.

Talking

lol

Yeah, some of the things that he puts on their don't make much sense and make you wonder if he knows what hes talking about or not. I did agree with the NO2 review though since when I used to take it I got the same results as he said you would. Still curious as to how much protein you would have to take in to damage your liver severely? Wonder why he didn't go ahead and tell you when he wrote that?

Quick question about the creatine, are you not supposed to load creatine? On all the creatine i've ever bought it says to load up for the first 5 days.

One other thing check out the beginners guide to supplementation and tell me what you think of the products he has listed there. I was think about getting some of the glutamine but im not sure if it's worth it or not.

BTW, I can't copy and paste from that site either.

I just read their bodybuilding supplements 2 article and they had a review of protein bars in their. They start out telling you that most of the bars failed their test and had less protein or more carbs and fat then they claimed. The review then goes on to tell you where to buy protein bars and ends. :\ Why didn't he tell us which ones failed and which ones passed to back up this info? For all we know he could have just made that up.

My 3 main questions about the supplements he has on his site are:

1)Is glutamine worth it?
    2)Is Ribose worth it?
    3)What do you think of Tribulus?

All of these were in his bodybuilding supplements article. He makes all of them sound great but has anyone here actually tried them? Do they really do what they're supposed to or is it just another gimick to get some quick cash?

They tell you to load creatine because they make more money off of you when you have to run and buy some more. You don't have to load - there's no scientific evidence that supports the thought that creatine loading is necessary for you to benefit from it. Actually, there was a study done somewhere that showed over a several month period of time that results were the same between the group that loaded and the group that didn't...without loading, maximum creatine levels will be reached in a few weeks.
    Last edited by SevenStar; 01-25-2004 at 11:22 AM.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

So I'm guessing there's no reason to cycle off of creatine for three weeks and then get back on it like it also suggests?

Yeah, your body can't really use more than 5g of creatine per day. So if you load with 20-30g, you're just peeing out the extra 15-25g. Companies tell you do do this so you'll use a lot and run out quicker and then have to go buy more so they'll make more money.

Just start with 5g and take that every day throughout your cycle.

I don't know about cycling it. I've always heard you're supposed to. I don't know if creatine is naturally produced in the body or what. You'll have to ask someone else about that.

1)Is glutamine worth it?

I've heard studies that say glutamine supplmements do nothing at all for you. I forgot the source, tho, and I forgot how much they gave people for the test.

But the supplement companies want you to believe that glutamine helps reduce soreness, helps protein synthesis or something, and helps your immune system.

I'll see if I can find that info again.

2)Is Ribose worth it?

What's Ribose? Isn't that a sugar?

3)What do you think of Tribulus?

Again I don't remember exactly what I read, but I think I read that the tribulus supplements don't contain nearly enough tribulus to do anything. I read that about the Biotest product, so don't buy their stuff. I generally tell people to stay away from Biotest stuff because a lot of it is under dosed, and because I don't like their marketing and how t-mag.com tries to casually mention Biotest products in their articles. And also how their one guy (TC Luoma) said he was all huge and ripped and would never show a picture (except for a cartoon that was supposed to be him) and then when he finally posted a picture he was a skinny little dude. There's no problem with being skinny, but don't lie and say you're a ripped mass monster to sell products if you're not.

Back on subject.

He makes all of them sound great but has anyone here actually tried them? Do they really do what they're supposed to or is it just another gimick to get some quick cash?

Probably a gimmick. What are your goals? Chances are, the only supplement you might need would be protein powder, and only if your daily requirements are above what you can get from food naturally. Oh yeah, you should take a multivitamin, too!

If I come across the studies I mentioned I'll post them in this thread.

btw, I think it's hilarious on that site how he has DIY (do it yourself) recipies for Muscle Tech products. Muscle Tech is such a ripoff!!! They take like creatine and sugar, combine it, give it a fancy sounding name like "advanced creatine transport system" or something and then jack up the price. That "advanced transport system" is simple sugar. You can get the same effect by mixing regular creatine in with fruit juice and save yourself like $60.

http://bodybuildingforyou.com/supple...upplements.htm

There's a link to the ribose article I read. It seems to do the exact same thing that creatine does but just goes about it a different way. It is also double the price. I was just wondering if maybe I missed something here considering that it cost so much more and has some hype behind it but appears to have the same outcome as creatine......

Anyway, the only supplements I use right now are creatine and 100 whey protein(and protein plus power bars). My goals right now are to get rid of my remaining body fat(ive gone from 17% to 8.5% in the last 6 weeks)and to put on about 10 more pounds of muscle in the next couple of months. I would also like to get my bench press up to about 300 by the end of the year but that's going to be a challenge.

Originally posted by Viper555
    (ive gone from 17% to 8.5% in the last 6 weeks)
    !! What was your weight before and after? Do you have pics? That's a pretty huge jump for only 6 weeks.