Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce Lee's encounter with Grand Master Lam Sang

Bruce Lee's encounter with Grand Master Lam Sang

The story goes that Bruce Lee went to the Hip Sing in search of Grand master Lam Sang of the Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Tong Long Pai Southern Praying Mantis. When Bruce entered the room he demanded to see Lam. An elderly gentleman was sitting and told Lee that Lam was not there and asked what he wanted. Bruce said he wanted to touch hands with him. The old man said that he was a student and that he would ablige Bruce. They started to chi sao when Bruce became aggressive the old man then layed into Bruce who immediately broke off and grabbed a staff and threatened him. The old man then told Bruce to put the pole down before he would give him something to take back home with him. Bruce Lee then left never realizing that the old man he had actually encountered was the great Grand Master Lam Sang.

And where did you hear this from?
    I have a signature.

excuse me, i seem to have ****ed
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

Originally posted by PHILBERT
    And where did you hear this from?
    I'd like to know also.

I'd believe you if you said a book
    but only from Ohara productions
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

On Lam Sang and Bruce Lee.
    Never heard that story.

Lam Sang was one of the great masters of TCMA. Master Gin Foon Mak of Jook Lum was a student of Lam Sang. Master Mak
    via a student/writer has a story of meeting with BL.

Master Lam Sang seemed to have been quite unique in his joint flexibility- in getting around blocks and obstructions. He was Hong Kong based but taught in NY and briefly in the UK.

My source is someone who was very close to Grand Master Lam. I myself believe him. I don't find it hard to believe that Bruce sought out the Grand Master and then ended up with Mark Foon Sifu.

So what did...

Lam Sang give to Bruce Lee, once he put down the weapon?
    David Williams
    http://www.wingchun.com
    Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai jiang

Well we can't ask Bruce since he died from a swelling of the brain. Gee wasn't Grand Master Lam Sang known as one of a few who mastered dim mak which Bruce so ridiculed? Hmmm......

Re: Bruce Lee's encounter with Grand Master Lam Sang

Originally posted by Sam
    The story goes that Bruce Lee went to the Hip Sing in search of Grand master Lam Sang of the Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Tong Long Pai Southern Praying Mantis. When Bruce entered the room he demanded to see Lam. An elderly gentleman was sitting and told Lee that Lam was not there and asked what he wanted. Bruce said he wanted to touch hands with him. The old man said that he was a student and that he would ablige Bruce. They started to chi sao when Bruce became aggressive the old man then layed into Bruce who immediately broke off and grabbed a staff and threatened him. The old man then told Bruce to put the pole down before he would give him something to take back home with him. Bruce Lee then left never realizing that the old man he had actually encountered was the great Grand Master Lam Sang.
    Cute story. But clearly told with an agenda. And that makes it automatically suspect.

Besides, even if you take this story as fact, the 'master' lied to Bruce Lee. So Lee supposedly goes away and says "man, the head student beat me." And that's a falsehood.

Shameful.

My source is someone who was very close to Grand Master Lam. I myself believe him. I don't find it hard to believe that Bruce sought out the Grand Master and then ended up with Mark Foon Sifu.
    Someone close to Grandmaster Lam. Whoever would have guessed that this story was told by someone with a serious bias.

Well we can't ask Bruce since he died from a swelling of the brain. Gee wasn't Grand Master Lam Sang known as one of a few who mastered dim mak which Bruce so ridiculed? Hmmm......
    Gee, isn't cerebral edema a recognized medical phenomenon with known causes and effects?

Come on mate. This is just sad.

Stuart B.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Your right it's as absurd as making a God out of an actor who never fully completed any art and fought no one. He may have been very gifted but there are true martial genius' that are unknown.

So you thought you'd add to the problem by diefying your instructor of choice instead?

Good move.
    Last edited by apoweyn; 01-28-2004 at 01:15 PM.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

yo yo yo

I heard from my mother's father's sixth brother's cousin of Gin Foon Mark that Bruce Lee came to New York and did a demonstration in Madison Square Garden saying he was a southern mantis master. He gave a one inch punch demonstration. Gin foon Mark and Normin Chin went down and beat the crap out of him. Then he trained with Gin Foon mark for a while and learned most of the basics of his jeet kune do from Gin Foon Mark.

I've heard this from several different people. Obviously the father's sxth brother's cousin is a joke but the story was as "true" as any story. Sure it might be exaggerated but what story isn't?

You heard that from a source close to Lam Sang? Thats great especially since all these so called sources are either dead or dying.
    A penny saved is... not much.

Originally posted by Sam
    Your right it's as absurd as making a God out of an actor who never fully completed any art and fought no one. He may have been very gifted but there are true martial genius' that are unknown.
    Other than Wong Jack Man, some of the fights in Hong Kong, and one of the Karate extras who tried to fight him on the set of Enter the Dragon? Oh, and wasn't there a time where Gene Lebell choked him out on the set of the Green Hornet or something?

And anyone who compares him to a God deserves a pimp slap. Most people on this website do not compare him to a God, and anyone who has any knowledge of martial arts and is not so tunnel visioned to one art (from my experience, TKD students are like this) and look to the bigger picture of martial arts will see Bruce Lee was by no means a God.
    I have a signature.

lol.

This place never changes...

Angry JKD

Any one that likes to talk@## about Bruce lee can kiss my @#! Obviously you don’t know enough about the man who made martial arts what it is today, As far as JD teaching Bruce Jkd and the 1” punch you are dead wrong. Is that why that tiny book is called Bruce lee’s 1 and 3 inch power punch, everyone outside JKD never likes to give credit, when the truth is so obvious.
    Last edited by GHAJNASR; 02-19-2004 at 05:05 AM.