Thread: Block Weights

Block Weights

So I just got a 55 pd dumbbell, cut the bar off and am stuck with two block weights I cannot lift with one hand. I don't know if that is weak but I decided to tape sand paper to each side to improve the grip. These are tremendously hard to lift and tax the complete lower arm. Does anybody have any experience with these or any exercises they found beneficial. They seem like the best hand exercise for kung fu application I've come across, of course that is aside from actual kung fu and iron palm.
    A unique snowflake

Thumbs up

Captins of Crush,Farmer Walks,Grip machine, Wrist rolls or roller.
    Pinch Chins and Front levers
    RockClimbing/Bloudering
    Brickie's labourer
    Sounds like you have build yourself a good bit of equipment
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

Re: Block Weights

Originally posted by WinterPalm
    So I just got a 55 pd dumbbell, cut the bar off and am stuck with two block weights I cannot lift with one hand.
    Um just out of curiosity, how and why did you do that?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

In John Brookfield's book he claims that block weights are the best way to improve hand strength. I did it by cutting it with a hacksaw. Made a great workout as well.
    A unique snowflake

Cool.

Sounds like a "Thor's Hammer"....

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...ges/1260-T.JPG

(couldn't find a picture of an actual thor's hammer, but it's close.)

I've been using...

http://www6.mailordercentral.com/iro...ges/1255-T.JPG

and I just got a....

http://www.clubbell.tv/images/set1.gif (not the full set)

Some people use sledge hammers one-handed in the same capacity. Good stuff.

Ford I sent you a PM a few days ago did you get it?

Ford
    Tell us how you find your Clubbell training once you have used them for awhile.
    I am interested in a sort of reveiw of how you think it benefits what sort of training etc?
    It certinly seems to be the next Functional Strength thing over there.
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

Ka,

I've used a leverage bar, like an adjustable club, for quite some time and think it is a valuable part of my training. It really fries your grip quickly and your grip will tire long before your lungs when you are just starting out. Very good for stabalizer and rotational work too since you can swing it in odd angles and you are constantly fighting for balance over it. In a rush now, so I'll write more tomorrow if you want.

Thanks ,and No worries I appreciate it.
    They look like good excerises for shoulder injuries.Are they continous drills that work cardio as well?
    Sounds good stuff.
    Any information,opinions welcome
    Cheers

Groundskeeper Willy

These block weights are not like leverage bars or clubbells. They are both ends of a cast iron dumbbell cut off, no handle, I gave the handle to my girlfriend, then you pick up the ends and use them for various exercises. It seems that other than John Brookfield these exercises are quite esoteric, I haven't found much on the internet about them.
    I twinged a nerve in my right wrist, doesn't affect my kung fu but cannot do anything with a leverage bar, besides, what sort of exercises do you do with those?
    A unique snowflake

WP
    Check these boys out.
    http://www.circularstrengthmag.com/21/
    I understand what you mean by the pinch grip,sounds good value.Ford's home made Pincher also sounds good.

Groundskeeper Willy

Winterpalm,

Not esoteric at all. Check out the pinch grip thread Ka made the other day here:

http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...threadid=28025

I explained how tro make an adjustable implement like the one you are talking about and provided a link to where you could buy one if you're not crafty. This type of stuff is pretty common for people looking to train various aspects of grip and quite well-known. While John is certainly a grip animal, this training technique is common knowledge.

Ka,

Yes. Once your grip strengthens enough they have a cardio component similar to kettlebells and other high-rep/intensity methods. Very good from training the shoulder girdle which is one of the reasons I started. I played baseball for years but I started tossing around a ball after a long break from being out of school/competition and I threw my arm out real quick. Even though I was immeasurably stronger than I was when I played, my arm felt like I had thrown 15 innings straight after only a few minutes. I figured there was a hole in my conditioning somewhere, and looked for ways to fill it. The added grip sttrength was really just a side benefit for me.

Ka, Ford, thank you for the links. However, these weights don't need additional weight attached, they are about 27 pounds each and are hard to lift. I understand what you mean by a block for pinch lifting, where you basically do rows, deadlifts, or timed holds, but these are more versatile because you don't have anything hanging off them. I'm just curious as to any training methods with these that would be beneficial.
    A unique snowflake