Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why so much cardio?

Why so much cardio?

MMA people seem to love cardio. I've heard of training classes where like 70% of the time is spent doing cardio and 30% of the time is spent actually fighting. Why the heavy emphasis on cardio? I've seen NHB fights last for a long time (like Gracie vs. Sakuraba, which was like 90 minutes), so I guess you need to be conditioned to fight for a long time. But what about the old saying that if a fight lasts longer than a minute or so both people should run away because they don't know what they're doing? Do confrontations on the street last for more than a few seconds?

I don't know. That's why I'm asking.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Fights on the street can last plenty long enough for cardio to matter. If it goes 30 seconds, cardio can make a real difference.

MMA classes, IMO should be spent learning to fight. Cardio is something extra you do unless you're doing some sort of specific tournament prep...

FWIW, it's usually interval type cardio, not 90 minute marathons...
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Yeah but if you're in a 30 second fight... is it going to matter if you regularly train to be able to do 10 minutes of cardio or 2 hours of cardio?

and there's one more important thing, and this'll really **** you off ironfist:

general fight preparation should include running, because if it's not just jimbo who wants to kick your ass, but bobby-joe and cletus as well, and each has a tire iron, your best bet is not to rumble.

so get off your butt and do some cardio.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Merry is so correct on this one that it hurts.

Cardio is essential if you're going to even last through a workout, let alone a fight. I can't count the times I'm winded just doing something as simple as a jabbing drill. Throw adrenaline and someone hitting you, and you find yourself getting winded twice as fast as that.

Hell, I'm in good shape and I start to get winded a minute into sparring at fifty percent intensity. (Granted, that might be because I take too many shots to the body. ), I could never figure out why people feel you don't need cardio to fight.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

Dude, just do forms for cardio
    MTV-Get Off The Air-Now

Originally posted by IronFist
    Yeah but if you're in a 30 second fight... is it going to matter if you regularly train to be able to do 10 minutes of cardio or 2 hours of cardio?
    First off, that's bad thinking. Yeah, the fight could be over in the 30 seconds, but what if it's not? An ounce of preparation is worth an hour of reconstructive surgery.

Secondly, don't get the idea that we're talking about running marathons here. Sprinting and other high intensity interval training is more the key here.
    "Oh LORD, please spare our eyes"- Traditional Prayer before an English Singlestick Match

I know about interval cardio and such.

I'm just speculating.

I still (try to) do cardio with my training

Sorry, IF. I misread ya, then.

(****, it's hard to concentrate on the boards, work, AND writing an article at the same time. )

Also remember that alot of your conditioning will come from sparring, drilling, etc. so you will get plenty of training and conditioning simultaneously.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Another good benefit of cardio is breathing. Learning to breath in a controlled way and relaxing is what helps you get through a good cardio session. Breathing is real handy when fighting or even just standing around.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

ding ding ding, Rogue has frankened the correct and kitfo!

Breathing is where it ALL starts.

It's the first thing you do in life and the last thing you stop doing before you die.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

well for boxing you need cardio, that's pretty obvius. But I would agree with crippled avenger in that the cardio makes the education process more comfrtable. I ran 5 miles every other day and no one else in my class did and there was a clear difference in our energy levels after even our opening drills. You need alot more than good cardio to be a good martial artist of course.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

I skip rope 3 times a week. That little bit of added work alone has pushed me past everyone in my class when it comes to cardio conditioning. I mean way past. If I were doing sprinting and interval stuff as well, I can see how it would make a huge difference in a fight.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Originally posted by Ralphie
    Dude, just do forms for cardio
    I agree

relative cardio conditioning is better in my point of view (although any form of cardio conditioning is better than none). a silly example, but...there would be a lot of wasted time for a TKD man to spend 30mins punching a heavy bag hard and fast for his cardio workout and then competing using mainly kicks.

I have a friend who is a marathon runner....obviously much fitter than me....but he was gasping like a fish out of water after doing one form, where as I could go on. His great fitness helped him, but mine was better for forms as it is relative to what I we were doing. stick me in a marathon and I suck after about 5 miles.
    I think, therefore I am awake!

It's easier to learn to do it now and maintain it in old age than to try and learn it in old age.

The world is my oyster.....Unfortunately I'm vegtarian.