Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Real kung fu?

Real kung fu?

OK, kung fu guys, would you consider that good kung fu?.

http://www.blacktaoist.com/Beng%20applic.html

sure. and Black Taoist is a good fighter with his kungfu too from what i've seen (not just that clip but others as well)

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

So, you would consider those techniques a good representation of how kung fu should be done?

I think they represent exactly what he says they do in the verbiage that goes along with the clip.

It is the same technique, repeated til the guy goes down.

Do you think it's bad in context to what's going on?

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    So, you would consider those techniques a good representation of how kung fu should be done?
    Your question is unanswerable. You're working under the assumption that kung fu is one thing, which is a fallacy. It is a blanket term. Some things under that term are not at all similar. Some styles of kung fu are more like judo than longfist, some are more like karate than schuia jiao(sorry about the spelling on that one), and some are more like boxing than karate. Which kind are you trying to make a comment about, and why not simply open with that comment?

A good way to start might be by first asking if his hsing yi is like other's hsing yi here. Then ask on other styles and determine what is hsing yi like, and what isn't. Then you'll have a good idea of what kung fu styles are like hsing yi. Then if you could do so for longfist like styles, tai chi like styles, schuai jiao(sorry again) like styles, shaolin like styles, etc. From there, if you could gather together some color pictures and collect it all together into a nice hard bound edition I could use for my coffee table, I'd be more than happy to return the favor and and bite on this obvious troll.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Its just brawling, kickboxing at best.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

Knifefighter,

Most of the clips on Blacktaoists site are examples of good techniques. They are of course, taken out of context for demonstration purposes. If I recall the clip you are referencing, (I can't view it right now), it is a few seconds of a tournament bout with a flurry of straight punches. I would say it is an good example of using a specific technique within the time, rules and regulations, and constraints of the event. Not the smoothest I've seen Blacktaoist roll, but he posted it to make a point about one of the hsing-i elements called beng chuan. The fact that the opponent was helpless and he won the match makes it "good kung fu".
    Count

Live it or live with it.

KABOOOM

KC has taken the correct, drop kicked it over the goal post, gave a coke to mean Joe Green and got his sweaty dirty jersey in return.

He basically used a reverse punch. Common.

He basically used a reverse punch.
    But BT just makes it sound so cooool.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

most martial arts origionated from kung fu (apparently) but his kickboxing brawling style contained very poor hsing yi. he said it is a powerfull technique which it is but he obviously has not used any of the power from the technique, just his shoulder and waist!
    I love Kung Fu

I have my own opinions on the techniques, which I will reserve for now.

I was just interested in everyone's opinions of it in terms of whether or not it seemed like a good representation of what a kung fu application (regardless of style) should be like in a live, full-contact context.

I am curious as to whether most kung fu people think that was a viable and effictient application, or whether they share the last poster's opinion.
    Last edited by Knifefighter; 01-31-2004 at 11:57 AM.

He really trains TCMA, he really went and fought, and he really won.

Isn't everything else academic?

I sense KF is going to go on an extensive whine....er... rant.

It looked like an appoaching intermediate level fight. It was just a reverse punch. There is nothing really to it more than that. Chambers are relative.

Heres a pic from Asia's fight. Nice form.

Reverse punch

Its in about a billion systems.
    Last edited by SifuAbel; 01-31-2004 at 12:30 PM.

he had no need to use hsing yi properly he owned the fight from the start. the other guy had no chance what so ever
    I love Kung Fu

I'm no IMA expert but I thought the techniques on the site looked decent enough. If those guys were in my area I would check it out and probably learn from them.

My opinion is that virtually every type of technique imaginable is contained in "kungfu" or CMA. I've heard ( only heard , I can't say I know from experience) that different bagua stylists emphasized different techniques even though they did the same style. One fighter would use mainly stikes with the palms, fingers, fists, and elbows, while another fighter would use more shuai chiao throws and qinna locks. The energies behind the techniques would remain the same though , such as returning the opponents force to him, leading him into nothingness, pressing with combined forces of the body into the opponent, moving and pushing the opponent back, maintaining center etc.( might not be the right energies) And the application of these energies is what distiguishes the style. Obviously some techniques and energies are interrelated and cannot be seperated, but often the same energy is present in many techniques and some combine several energies. Techniques are also combined into different combinations and used differently. I don't know if this is accurate and my experience in bagua is fairly limited. Maybe someone else knows if this is accurate.
    Last edited by backbreaker; 01-31-2004 at 03:08 PM.