Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Real kung fu?

I can't opem the clips but will say this: A) BT takes his MA training serious and B) Just because it looks the same doesn't mean its the same.

I hate straight punching! It's easy to block. At the same time I use what looks like straight punching but under certain conditions: my elbow has moved you out and I'm on the inside circle making my arm longer than yours even if your's is physically longer.

Like I said, I can't see the clips but this is the idea. BT is a TALL man, so he can win with plane straight punching because I'm betting his arm is longer than the other guys. But great if he can make it work and even better if he wins with it.

Also keep in mind that when you train a technique you aim for perfection. But in use, under fire, the best can usually only bring 75% of the ideal.

Again, didn't see the clip but I can get an idea of how it went down.

Peace

KC Elbows

I hear you guy, I just wasn’t quite too sure what you were saying, but it’s all-good

(Maoshan, could you just tell of your relationship with Black Taoist? You might be the best to answer questions Knifefighter may have on his fights and training.)

OK
    BT is my younger classmate.
    We’ve known each other for a little over 10yrs. He and I share the same attitude when it comes to Martial Arts, and that is the real side of it. Yeah, We both love forms, but that has nothing to do with usage. Essentially, Ba-Gua is our focus, but when it comes to Martial Arts and fighting it doesn’t matter what style you do, can you use it? We’ve found most couldn’t.
    We do what we do for 2 reasons:
    1. To enhance our own skills and
    2. To try to wake people up to all the frauds that are making money off of them as well as to separate the health artist from the martial artist because there is a difference.

The Internal taught properly will give you everything you need so we don’t stress the health. The philosophy of the I-Ching will not save your life, so we don’t emphasis it.

When it comes to the Internal, we are different as far as most practitioners are concerned.
    Most take the Internal for health or hobby and for the most part, that’s the way it’s being promoted.
    Where we come from most people that take up the art, do so for self-defense.
    So it’s not a game for use. We’ve fought underground matches, Challenge matches, street fights, etc…
    We’ve always stood our ground, and as always, are ready to back it up.

To that end, BT has helped me with the All Ba-Gua Tournament Since I started it. His dedication to the art is unquestionable.
    We train for hours daily, Go to China to learn more, etc...
    BT teaches a class at the fight house in Manhattan and if any don’t believe we keep it real, they can always come and test the water. Now it could be friendly or ruff, we prefer to make friends, but hey, what ever.

I hope this answers the questions, if not there’s only one other way to find out. Ya know?

For those that didn't see it, I don't have that link right now, but here's the link to b2 fights between BT and the Beijing San Shou
    Champion. Just some hightlights.

http://www.blacktaoist.com/Novell%20...u%20fight.html

http://www.blacktaoist.com/Novell%20...u%20fight.html

Peace

Maoshan
    Last edited by maoshan; 02-04-2004 at 04:01 PM.

Thumbs up

maoshan, did that approach to the internal arts come from your instructor or on your own? BTW, good stuff.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere
    thsi is what real kung fu is to be like:
    http://clientes.netvisao.pt/joaantlo/pwned.gif
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

5. Well...

I don't know about you guys but someone seems to appreciate Novell's (BlackTaoist) skill. The owners of this website paid him to help advertised their product.

Check out the link...

http://www.thebutterflyrings.com/pag...os_novell.html

I'd say that's a pretty decent demo of Bagua Zhang.

ETB

Peace

rogue

(maoshan, did that approach to the internal arts come from your instructor or on your own?)

It's a bit of both my man. But more so him. My Sifu only believed in power and real technique. Real technique can only be aquired through experiance and power through repitition and time.

My teacher was hard core, so am I, except I'm not as nice as my teacher was. He taught everybody, I won't.

Peace

Maoshan

If you don't mind me asking, what attributes would you consider innapropriate and cause you not ot teach someone internal arts?

My Sifu only believed in power and real technique.
    Maoshan, found an instructor like that myself. Did he have you do a lot of hands on training, how did forms fit into things?

Also, what's your training currently like?

Stay warm up there.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Peace

backbreaker

Their ideas.

If they want to learn, they have to realise that you can't be a 2wk master. I don't teach movie martial Arts and I don't water down anything. I had people that wanted me to do some of all of that. I refuse.

Their work ethic

I won't teach a lazy person. I know when your training and when your not. The Internal is not easy to learn. I've put almost everything into it. I'm not willing to teach someone who will not put at lest half of what I put in, in terms of effort.

My goal is to raise the standard, lazy people are not going to do that.

That's it

Peace

Maoshan

more cats with that attitude what the MA world needs.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Peace

Rouge

(Maoshan, found an instructor like that myself. Did he have you do a lot of hands on training, how did forms fit into things?)

Everything was hands on. He would demonstrate, then have you follow him, and then check your movement and alignment.

As far as forms go, my Sifu used to ask perspective students this question, “Do you want to learn fast or slow. If you remember, in my last post I said my teacher taught everybody. I take that back. He catorgorised us.
    Those that wanted to learn fast, he knew that they didn’t really want to learn. These people were dubbed customers, those of us that trained the way he wanted us to, were his students. And it was true, those that wanted to learn fast, always left within a couple of months.

I said all of that to say, I learned slow.
    The 1st 6mos All I did was San Choy (Ti), The Embrace, reeling silk exercises, some drills and walk the Circle
    At the 6mos point I began to learn the Original form of Chiang Yun Qiao.
    By my 2nd year I had only learned the second Palm.
    The idea was to move as a single unit. In the course of teaching each Palm, he first taught the Palm, after reaching his level of satisfaction, he taught the applications so that I knew the Yin and Yang Points in the movement and at what point power was issued. That was a topic all unto itself, because you can’t begin to issue until your moving alignment and root are united. That took years to really get and understand intuitively. Muscle memory has to be developed etc… Hey it took time.
    Possibly even longer than it should have because most of my teacher’s student’s only learned Shing-Yi. I had no one to really practice with. So one of my closest friends who was learning Wu Tai Chi and I fought almost every day for 10yrs Learning how apply what we learned freely. And did we get hurt in this process? With out a doubt!
    But that’s how bad we wanted it. And Ba-Gua is definitely a style you have to want.
    It’s too complicated to just do. I mean it’s one of those styles that when we used to see in the movies how guy would want to learn, and the teacher would say no, because he felt that he wouldn’t persevere.

(Also, what's your training currently like?)

Presently, It’s all about power. Walking the circle (Slow and fast), Advanced Qi-Gong methods, and the Big Dao and spear.
    Also, I’m focusing on brushing up on my Fu style now.

Peace

Maoshan