Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sabaki

That's the one, both punch and book. Don't forget that they can't punch to the head so the uppercut would be a big no-no. The punch that the Enshin folk use is to the ribs or solar plexus.

Did you see any horizontal elbows to the upper chest? I've started working those after my instructor rocked me with them last week, and I noticed Enshin has those as a feature also.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Well no, an uppercut to the head would be illegal. But uppercuts to the ribs shouldn't be.

Yeah, I did see some elbows to the chest. Though not that many. Knees as well. I saw people practicing horizontal and straight knees. And I saw them land a few straight knees throughout the night.

Couple of younger guys even landed a spinning hook kick or two.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

I'm looking at the picture sequence in the book. The punching arm moves very little with the elbow not going past the hip. The power and the up and in motion comes from same side leg pushing the hip up and in. Add to that the other hand grabbing and pulling down and in. I think it serves the same purpose just more hip driven.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Ah, I gotcha. Interesting.

Well, my friend is trying to get me to try out the Enshin school now. We'll see. I'll probably do an intro at least.

If you do it don't forget to report in. If they teach as well as they set up a book it'd be a good school. I like Ninomiya's karate, closer to traditional karate then most traditional karate schools.

DM

I liked it myself. Though I'm very leery of going somewhere with a lot of kata practice. I'm okay with kata. But I don't particularly want it for my practice.

But my friend assures me they don't spend much time on kata regardless. (Of course, he hasn't been there long. So... )

But yeah, when I get round there I'll definitely report back.

I hear you. I've cut way back on kata and I'm now focusing on the moves in them. I'm finding some nice things once the formality is removed. The nice thing about Enshin kata is that they are made up of Enshin combos, footwork and tactics. No reverse engineering needed.

DM

sounds like pretty good stuff. Any idea when the next competition is?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by rogue
    I'm looking at the picture sequence in the book. The punching arm moves very little with the elbow not going past the hip. The power and the up and in motion comes from same side leg pushing the hip up and in. Add to that the other hand grabbing and pulling down and in. I think it serves the same purpose just more hip driven.
    Sounds like a shovel hook.
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

Sounds like a shovel hook but can't be because of karate having advanced power generation that channels energy from the ground to the leg to the hips not to mention ki energy coupled with a spirit shout that intensifies the energy... Yeah, it's a shovel hook.

DM

I thought a shovel hook came into the side of an opponent on a 45-degree angle. Midway between a hook and an uppercut.

Less PC terminology: Mexican hook.

Hi,

The primary rules are that there strikes with the hand / elbow nor head butts are allowed from the neck and up. Any strikes to the groin is illegal. All attacks to the legs (i.e. kicks and sweeps) are allowed, except for direct blows to the front of the knee.
    Grabbing the opponent's shoulder as well as their arm or leg (by the gi) is allowed but for a limited time only during the execution of a technique/counter. The ref will also break apart the fighters if they get stuck in a clinch.

The rules are adapted from the Kyokushin "Knock-down" rules, however with improvements (such as the inclusion of grabs).
    As noted there are no punching to the head, which to me is one of the downfalls of this type of fighting and is a carry over from Kyokushin.

KG

Originally posted by SevenStar
    sounds like pretty good stuff. Any idea when the next competition is?
    The 2004 Championships in Denver, Colorado by the looks of it.

http://sabaki.enshin.com/