Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Is the VTM being disrespectful?

Sorry,

To clarify a previous statement reguarding those Augustine Fong DVDs....

the YJKGYM is 50/50 no doubt. Some of his pressing stances or attacking stances are a bit back weighted. Its a very slight difference, but obvious. My only visual reference is off the DVD. He has one of his students on the DVD doing sparring techniques, the student also when in pressing stances looks a tad back weighted.

Other than that he does look to be 50/50 in a lot of other stances, its only in a few peticular which is different from what I was taught. I am not saying one is right and one is wrong, I am just acknowledging a difference. If I ever get a chance to train with Fong I would definately ask him and show me in person what the stance truly was. It very may well be a deceptive looking stance or camera glitch, or whatever.

Re: Fong's dvd.
    in the very first dvd (fundamentals, I think) the voice over describes 60/40 weighting (in application, not ygkym which is no doubt 50/50). Now days Sifu Fong teaches 50/50. I asked him about this change and he described it as an evolution/refinement in his teaching. Basically we train for 50/50, but appreciate that in application you have in essence upto 60/40 as a grace period.
    This is only my interpretaion of his teaching.

si-dai emmet

Roache:

Thanks for the clarification. Those DVDs are a nice set of visual references when training and you cannot get in touch with a sifu. My sifu just warned me when using the DVDs as a training tool, don't train the 60/40 stance, train 50/50.

The DVDs however are still great.