Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dit Da Jow...

if you go to http://www.ancientway.com/Pages/Mart...sFormulas.html
    they sell a Jow kit for $30. You make it yourself and it is pretty good. I've made a couple of batches of it and I think it works great.

Interesting website, but my word of caution:

Most people who have an authentic Dit Da recipe hoard their secret like a dragon would his treasure. I have more faith in pre-prepared Dit Da where the recipe isn't available.

That being said, give it a shot. JamesBond_007 thought it was good, so you have one endorsement.

I will stick with the Dit Da my Sifu makes.
    Got Lineage?

Cool tao of wushu - dit da jow

Since you didn't respond to my reply that tells me you are a "grasshopper" when it comes to jow knowledge. I recommend that you seek out Master Joiner tjseaofchi@aol.com. He is a most gracious and humble man. He will help you and he is not expensive.

Damian

dfe****o,

personally thank you friend! appreciate our older brothers like you, cause I am one.

Christmas!!!dfe****o@mindspring.com is that better! dfe hope you can see the forest thru the trees.

Cool yu shan

Yes, I can see the forest thru the trees. I've been called worse but thanks for the complement.

Damian

originaly detroit....between west virginia and ohio

from the cradle to enslave

i have some real nice jow recipes. im a wing chun practitioner and got 3 recipes from a wing chun sifu from new york. one of the recipes is made from non-chinese herbs. yes you heard me right..he made an american jow(he is a doctor in tcm,chiropracter,cranial/sacral manipulation and wing chun) that works great...i just made a huge batch and use it daily....if interested e mail me
    "fame is fleeting, while obscurity is eternal"...napolean

"this than is a sign of a true man, standing steadfast in the face of oppresion"..beethoven

thanks all

DM-
    sorry i did not get back i was out of town !!!!!!
    館術國勇威 Wei Yong Martial Arts Association
    戰挑的權霸統傳 The Challenge for Traditional Supremacy
    http://www.weiyongkungfu.com

As far as store bought stuff, any chinatown pharmacy should have Sun Sun Tong's brand. comes in a red & white box about a 2" cube with Sun's picture on it.. no english. has bear bile in it though (for penetration). mix with alcohol.

Kill a whole bear for its bile? Ethics...any?

Dit da jow

I will be the first to admit that i know almost nothing about Chinese Medicine or herbal remedies. With that said i figured this would probably be the place to come to ask this question. I was wondering if the alcohol proof significantly changes the effectiveness of a dit da jow. My understanding is that the alcohol is used to penetrate the skin and thin the blood so that it can flow more easily and decrease swelling. But like i said i don't really know much about it so that might be wrong. My thought is if the proof were higher it might work faster. which brings me to the point of even asking. A buddy of mine was telling me that a Scottish distillery called Bruichladdich is releasing a single malt quadruple distilled whiskey. it is going to be 90 % alcohol (180 proof). It is known as "perilous whiskey" for obvious reasons. They started making it so that means it will be ready in about 10 years. I was wondering if you made a dit da jow with it if it would be more effective.

any ideas?

Jow is made of herbs, minerals, and animal products. The alcohol is used to get the goodies out of these things. The goodies are basically divided into polar and non-polar chemicals. Alcohol get the non-polar one and water gets the polar ones. So you need a combo of both. Most whisheys are 40-50% alcohol, the rest is water which makes them a good medium to do both.

DON'T use anything more than 100 proof. It evaporates too quickly to get the job done.

Personally I dont use anything but 80 Proof(40%).
    Mouth Boxers have not the testicular nor the spinal fortitude to be known.
    Hence they hide rather than be known as adults.

Ohhh bruichladdich, one of my favs =)

Eventually, they did not reach their goal of 92% or so percent. After the "angel's share" went over it for a decade even less will be kept. The angles share is the anual loss due to evaporation through the cask. On average that is 2%, but Bruichladdich is situated on Islay right in the Gulf stream where it is a bit warmer, so it will be a tad higher then that.

I dont claim to know much either about chinese medicine, but afaik the most impportant reason to use alcohol is to extract the working substances from the herbs. And when applying the jow to the skin, you dont want it to be evaporated to fast. So such a high ABV is not suitable. I keep reading and hearing that about equal parts of water and alcohol is the best solution. So about 50% ABV.

I have a virtual reality on my website of the distillery in case you are interested: http://www.peatfreak.com/vr-bruichladdichGate.php

aahh, the ol' dit da jow thread re-emerges

BruceSteveRoy -

Check out http://martial.best.vwh.net/forum/se...earchid=191001 to see the many times Dit Da Jow has come up on our forum. The alcohol issue is complex and different sources say different things, but personally, I'd save the single malt scotch for savoring with a bit of ice, water and maybe a pint of Gunness nearby

Traditionally, cheap vodka, gin and rice wine have been used as the base.

peace

herb ox