Thread: Wind Fire hall / Pak Mei altar

Wind Fire hall / Pak Mei altar

Ls,

Attached you will find a picture of the top part of our Pak Mei altar.

From right to left it translates to "Wind fire hall". With the fire charater written upside down. I heard 2 explanations why the fire character is written upside down. One is that upside down the character resembles the face of the spirits of the altar. (You can see the eyebrows, eyes and nose). Another explanation links more closely to the history of the Hakka people were the Hakka people believe they fell out of heaven. In this case the upside down character is an upside down person that shows a Hakka person falling out of the heavens.

But reading the translation doesn't give me the meaning behind the words "Wind fire hall". Can someone please explain them to me?

Regards, Lau

fire character

Interesting..my copy of the Dragon poem has the fire character at the top and upside down...

I think my sifu said something about keeping the fire character upside down to prevent emotions from rising and bringing anger to the kwoon....

This is a paraphrase

Cheers R

Smile Wind Fire Hall

The "Wind Fire Hall" I believe is a sect of Taoism. It is similar or might even be a branch of the "Complete Truth" sect of Taoism. Anyway, it is based on the inner cinnabar cultivation (re: meditaion). The Wind (breath), Fire (mind/spirit), and the body (hall) must all be present. The inverted fire means to "lower" the mind or focus the mind at the lower Dantian. There are ancient Taoism meditation manuscripts that has the theories available. All you have to do is to find it. The Inverted fire also symbolize the presents or arrival of the spirit (yours or otherwise). There is a custom or rather believe in Southern China that when a word is inverted (Do in Cantonese) it means something is present or arrived. So Fao Do means the fire (spirit) has arrived. Despite the langauge differences, the Christians have similar religious experiences (the arrival of Holy Spirits). It can be explained in a rational way or mystical way. We are all fallen angels one way or the other.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    "the Christians have similar religious experiences (the arrival of Holy Spirits)." ahhh, so that explains the inverted crucifix on our altar in Church. But can someone explain why the Priest wears a black hooded robe? And why all the blood sacrifices? My friends all say in their church, all they drink is wine.

Unhappy

Sorry that my statement about religous experience offended anyone. It is only meant to demonstrate that language barrier exists and it is subjective in nature. It is also meant as an reflection of how I approach religions, their symbols, etc. If I am wrong in drawing the assumption therefore spoiled the truth, I sincerely appologize.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

jun foh

turn the fire

give up something for MARTIAL art

most people now, in any culture, do not understand what this means.
    East River Dragon Style, Lam Family
    東河龍形 - 林家拳, 林志平,師傅

Thumbs up

Truely interesting !

- "The Complete Truth sect of Taoism"
    That makes sense. It must have been wider than Pak Mei only. Like R stated parts can also be found in other styles. One picture I have of an altar of a Southern Mantis branch has the same "wind fire hall" characters. I guessed it was something generally Hakka, but this makes more sense. Especially when "translated" to breath, spirit and body. Mantis 108, your knowledge has deeply impressed me once again.

It is also interesting that I was told that some pictures of Cheung Lai Cheung are very important. They show him doing sitting meditation. (They can be found on the history page of www.pakmeipai.nl) It was said to me that these pictures stress the importance of the breathing. But I hadn't connected that to the message on the altar yet.

Thank you all very much for your help,

Meltdawn, Would you like to explain a little more? Do you mean kung fu takes hard word and practice and that you have to give up other things in life to acchieve something in Kung Fu?

Regards, Lau

At the middle of the Wah Lum Praying Mantis altar, thereīs a upside down Fire character, and itīs translated as "control".

Check it out: www.wahlumpai.us/martial_arts_altar.htm

Maybe, like R said, itīs "to prevent emotions from rising and bringing anger to the kwoon". Sounds like "control" to me; actually, self-control, which is essential to the martial artist.

I find it also on the Southern mantis Spirit Altar as well.

Any specific meanings a student should know?