Thread: Suggestions?

Suggestions?

I need some suggestions on what books to get on JKD. Im new and all I know is a little bit of Muay Thai. I was wondering if this would be a good suggestion at all? Maybe you could recommend some ma. I want 1 type of boxing, 1 type of grappling/throwing, and 1 type of wrestling. I want it to be the type of where I can defend my self easily in a fight and take care of my self if I ever have problems with people. could you also tell me if you know of any good meditation books?

Gracias
    Last edited by Jeronimo; 02-03-2004 at 09:55 PM.

you're not looking to learn fro these books, are you? The best idea would be to find schools in your area that fit what you want...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Seconded. You can't learn MA from a book. Especially not grappling and throwing. And while I've come across some good books on JKD (Guro Dan Inosanto's out-of-print book for example), it's not really instructional but historical and conceptual.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Trust me, I would much rather take classes than read a book. But for now I dont have the money for classes and am just getting into the books for now. How much is the average on classes anyways? And could you anwser my 1st question?

althought i've never taken any MA classes, i have quite a few books. alot on JKD and Bruce Lee.

I read one pretty cool book by Bruce Lee, its Basic training or something like that i ccan't remember. but it shows methods of training and really basic stances and self defence techniques.

Hello
    I happened to agree that you cannot learn a martial art from a book. But there are many books that are very good, that can help in the understanding,(philosophies) of how and why. I recommend Sun Tza's art of war. And Miyamoto Musashi's book, The book of five rings. Both are outstanding books, that can help you, in the long run.
    One more thing! Just a clear the air, Bruce Lee only wrote one book. The philosophical martial artist. All the other books were wrote by other people using his notes.
    Sincerely yours. C.A.G.
    Last edited by curtis; 02-05-2004 at 05:49 PM.
    C.A.G.

Not what you're wanting to hear

I'd suggest you first get into shape before starting martial arts classes. And learning from books/videos doesn't count.

And yes, I submitted the idea, and am of the belief that a person with a sound, working knowledge of martial arts practice can gleam some useful material from these sources. However, it is most likely detremental to the future growth of the martial artist if the first lessons are self-instructed.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Go to www.straightblastgym.com and order the Functioal JKD series (video).
    "I want it to be the type of where I can defend my self easily in a fight and take care of my self if I ever have problems with people."

This will hit all the areas, Standup, clinch and ground. Excellent tapes that will teach you how to fight and train realistically.

Great addition to any style.

But get an instructor in any style so you have a good base and good basics.