Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How far should the hand strech out

How far should the hand strech out

How far should the hand strech out away from the body?
    Are there any rule?

Re: How far should the hand strech out

Originally posted by Phenix
    When? In Biu? Taan? Wuh? Jaam? Bong?

Different hands are designed for different heights, widths, and depths.

-Levi

Re: Re: How far should the hand strech out

Originally posted by taltos

When? In Biu? Taan? Wuh? Jaam? Bong?

Different hands are designed for different heights, widths, and depths.

-Levi

Sure they design differently but Any criteria?

Are there any rule?
    Never beyond my limit, or to the point where it pulls my body out of alignment. (Except when screwing up, which is often enough in my case.)

We will "send" fully through the arm if and when the time is right, and when the opening and connection is present to do so. But never "reach" with it; that would be too greedy, and thus too vulnerable.

Easy to say, hard to do. Takes a lot of practice. YMMV.

Regards,
    - kj

When you can do shadow boxing, it does not really matter how far as it is never there. All in good fun trying to know what is real and unreal.

Regards,
    PH

Hi WCners'

Great sharing!

I think, here is a different between a "still" platform or a "moving " platform art in this issue.

"still" platform art due to the natural of it's issueing power structure, it will be by default to not to "reach" but "send" as KJ post. Because it utilizes full structure power as the prime power.
    And within the "still platform " art there are rules of thumb on what must not happen. otherwise, the whole structure is no longer "Zhong" or center.

"moving" platform art will have the tendency of "reaching" but not "send". Because it utilized local power as the prime power.

That also differentiate between "moving platform" "going out to chase" type of art to "still platform" " waiting for it to come" type of art.

just some thought
    Last edited by Phenix; 02-05-2004 at 08:24 PM.

I like the way you articulated that, Phenix. You gave me some good new ideas for describing and coaching some of our newer people on the basics, in our way of training.

Regards,
    - kj

Originally posted by kj
    I like the way you articulated that, Phenix. You gave me some good new ideas for describing and coaching some of our newer people on the basics, in our way of training.

Regards,
    - kj

KJ,

great if you can get something out of it.

I can write a "book" here about the rules... hahaha. Nah spare you all for tonight.

But, those rules do differentiate white Crane and Shao Lin.
    It is very tangible information and once one sees it one will right a way knows the different between a "still platform" and "move platform".

for example, Eventhought two biu jee seems to be look the same, what is no longer WCK biu Jee.... but a hard style finger push jab ect... can be checked with these rules even in a still picture.

Pay attention to any pictures on doing Woodern dummy, if the person is "stay" away and "strech" to hit the dummy, that is not wck. IMHO. compare the picture of CLF doing thier dummy to say Gm Ip doing dummy. one will see that. so, if the CLF stylist learn the set of WCK, they can pretend to be WCK. and we can see they are not WCK because their "habit" cannot change. General speaking.

Since in my lineage some might learn CLF based of art. We have some ways to check if is it WCK.

purely technical talk, nothing good or bad, just about signature of art.
    Last edited by Phenix; 02-05-2004 at 10:22 PM.

Hendrick,
    Is this another test or is it that you don't really know the answer?
    .....grin.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Originally posted by Phil Redmond
    Hendrick,
    Is this another test or is it that you don't really know the answer?
    .....grin.

Phil,

It is a question ... for other to join and discuss....

Answer is completed and varies from individual to individual. question is about direction..... a discussion about direction.

Chill out Yoda. I was just kidding....smile.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Originally posted by Phil Redmond
    Chill out Yoda. I was just kidding....smile.

I know

can i hijack slightly.

some people will tell you how far your tang sau should come out and limit to to say a fist distance away from the body. and people just do what they are told, but never actually LEARN, why and why not. i prefer to let people over extend it, and hit them until they learn that its overextended.

IMO, you only LEARN by doing it wrong, those who always do it right dont learn.

thanks for your time.

...how far should the finger pointing at the moon stretch out?
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

Originally posted by foolinthedeck
    can i hijack slightly.

...how far should the finger pointing at the moon stretch out?
    In which direction? the direction with moon or without moon?

Are there any rule?
    Your hand should stretch out this far and no further, unless circumstance deems it necessary to stretch further, perhaps stretching your hand out all the way to that far, but only briefly.

On the other hand, if circumstance prevents your hand from originally being able to stretch out this far, you should not stretch your hand out beyond this far and no further, unless circumstance now allows your hand to stretch out further than this far and now stretch out to this far, but only if necessary.

There. You now have a rule of hand for the circumstance. Or, was that a rule of thumb? (Maybe a rule of hand plus thumb?)

I hope I was able to lend a hand to further stretch out the thread to this far.

When you control the hands and feet, there are no secrets.
    http://www.Moyyat.com