Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Eyebrow And The Destruction Of Shaolin

white eyebrow and the destruction of shaolin

ladies and gentlemen boys and girls! i bring to you one of the most prolific martial arts based play ever written. WHITE EYEBROW AND THE DESTRUCTION OF SHAOLIN, a play based on the 5 shaolin elders written by david blanc, it tells the tale of the 5 elders and there battle against the ching also the play paints white eyebrow in a defferent light(for you bak mei people) it's filled with good dialoque,kung fu and even some comedy and romance,
    it's being held in new york city: the shetler theater march 18 through march 21st 2004,
    by ticket on line for 15 buck(10 if you use the code five elders) at URL:www.smartix.com
    trust me it's worth it.

Thumbs up GREAT,, IS THIS COMING TO TORONTO CANADA?????????

Hello, jeff is my name and kung fu is my way!!! Would you try to come into CANADA?? It sounds really good!!!!
    Last edited by redtornado; 02-25-2004 at 07:20 AM.

calendar

Our interactive calendar is a more appropriate place to post this - please click here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

if you can make it here you can make it anywhere!

where gonna try and get the new york show of the ground but then after that who know's!

Question thanks gene!

actually where still looking for sponsers, do you think this something kung fu mag or it's parent company would be interested in? if so send me an e-mail on the details thanks!

Sponsorship

You can sent a proposal to my attention at 40748 Encyclopedia Circle, Fremont, CA 94538. We do media sponsorships, but there has to be significant trade for us, obviuosly. Once we receive somthing in writing, I can see that it is shown to the proper people here and we can see if it is feasible.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well if I can put the time in maybe if not I will spread the word!!

Hello, Have a good show!!
    Jeff

thanks!/press kit

thanks man we really want the show to sell! anyone you see doing martial arts in the play are real martial artist who put there blood, sweat, and tears into there art(s) everyday.
    here's the press kit if you wanna look at it:
    Martial Arts Theater Ensemble Inc./ M.A.T.E. Inc. presents

White Eyebrow and the Destruction of Shaolin by David Blanc

Why should you see this play?

Some of the best fight scenes on a New York Stage.- A bold claim, I know. Here is how I back it up. As a center of musical theater, stage combat is not New York's strong suit. When I see stage fighting in New York, 95% of the time it comes from one source, Shakespeare. I love Shakespeare, but Shakespearean combat has its limitations on a New York stage. First off, working with weapons is dangerous work. To keep their actors safe, these productions need to slow the speed and increase the distance of their attacks. Furthermore, when many New York Shakespearean actors have, at best, a couple of years of weapon experience and limited time to train together, speed needs to be decreased, and distance increased, again in the name of safety. The result, a performance that may at times be entertaining but in my experience is not too convincing. Actors compensate by yelling, acting melodramatically, and even beating drums. It becomes a symbolic representation of combat rather than something intended to convince the audience that the characters are really trying to hurt each other.

What makes our fights different?- There are many fights in this play but the final duel between two Shaolin Masters is promised to be the best. Both of the fighters have several years of martial arts experience. They are used to sparring and competing in which opponents are, on some level, trying to hurt them. Thus, when these fighters act in a choreographed scene with partners trying not to hurt them, they can take stage combat to a higher level than stage combat trained actors who are not martial artists. Since they are portraying Shaolin Masters, they can fight in mortal combat without weapons, allowing for additional safety and higher intensity. This puts us ahead of most current stage combat productions, only to be eclipsed by some of the fantastic fight-scenes of TV and film. So if we are eclipsed by those two mediums...

Why see this play instead of a movie?- Why do people see plays? Outside of the benefits of live performance, I would say that a big factor in the Off-Off Broadway circuit is one common to the appeal of independent film: fresh ideas uninhibited by the concerns of big-budget productions. When someone wants to try an original idea, the idea often has to spend a long time in a small theater before it can make it to the big-screen.
    In the case of this play and the company presenting it, the new idea is martial arts historical drama. Anyone interested in reading more about this concept can take a look at our mission statement.

Tickets distributed by smarttix.com

Summary

Is war ever winnable? White Eyebrow and the Destruction of Shaolin by David Blanc that addresses this issue. The play centers around a conflict between two groups of people. The Manchu led by their Machiavellian Emperor and his devious Concubine, and the Shaolin, a group of buddist monks trained in kung-fu to high level of mastery. They disagree with the Manchu or Ching Dynasty, but are hesitant to oppose them as they are dedicated to living life in peace and do not want the Chinese populace to be caught in the cross-fire. However, with the deaths of women and children by the hands of the Manchu, the Shaolin monks find themselves in conflict with each other. They debate over whether or not to engage in a war with the Manchu or to try and negotiate a compromise in the hope that they will cease their killing. What will the Shaolin do? Does a war to sustain peace ever work?

The multi-ethnic casting is used to show that in order to conquer the perils of war and become a peaceful society, all races and creeds of people must collaborate together instead of working against each other. The sense of otherness, that the fate of foreign nations and individuals is not intertwined with our own, is a fools paradise. Until we understand the fact that we will all sink or swim as one race, there will never be any lasting peace, just the postponement of war. That is why this production has actors of all races playing characters in seventeenth century China; because no matter where or when the drama takes place, it effects us all whether we know it or not.

Martial Arts Theater Ensemble Inc./ M.A.T.E. Inc. : Mission Statement

We are here to sell New York on one simple concept: Martial Arts Historical Drama. In a world where of crime and scandal rule the news and thousands of enemies are killed with the push of a button, honor is an abstract concept. Martial Arts has been used for many years by many fine individuals to instill a sense of honor in our youth. Bringing to the stage takes those lessons to a wider audience, beyond the martial arts world.

Martial Arts of every style has a rich tradition of history that includes politics, spiritual development, and an understanding of science and the world we live in that is seen, literally, in terms of life and death. A martial arts fight scene is the embodiment of conflict and conflict is the core of drama. It is the perfect tool for actor and writer to express any concept or feeling her or she desires.

MATE Inc.'s mission is to be a venue for martial arts actors and writers of all styles and cultures to bring many plays about martial arts, with very original story-lines, to the stage. In addition to providing a fresh and exciting form of entertainment, it is the hope that these stories and martial arts styles from so many different cultures will perpetuate interest in other cultures. That interest allows for one of martial arts most important lessons to be taught. Every culture, and every person, matters.

Cast Bios for : White Eyebrow and the Destruction of Shaolin

WHITE EYEBROW/Playwright/Producer/Fight Choreographer- David Blanc has an MA from Columbia University and a BA from Sarah Lawrence College. His last stage appearance was in December as Gratiano in West End Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice. He wrote and will play a supporting role in the independent feature, Euthanasia, which will begin shooting in February. He also wrote,produced, and starred in, Realer Than Real, at the Producers Club last year. His martial arts background includes Bruce Lee's Jeet Kune Do, Kickboxing, and Brazilian Jujitsu.

FUNG DOE DUK/Producer- Jack Bank's many credits include a speaking role on One Life to Live and membership in the Upright Citizens Brigade Improv Troupe. He is currently producing and starring in Euthanasia. He is also a stand-up comic.

GEE SHIM- Alfred E. Rutherford has an extensive resume for stage, film, and TV. Upcoming films include a starring role in an independent feature, Female Assassin, and a principal role in a not-yet-titled Warner Bros. film. His martial arts background is Tae Kwon Do.

NG MUI- While Kelly Fong is making her debut on the New York Stage, she has performed in many martial arts exhibitions. Her martial arts background is Shaolin Kung-Fu.

MEW HING- Shing Ka is a graduate of the Lee Stausberg institute and a Meisner-trained actor under William Esper. He has a long list of TV, film, and stage appearances and has worked closely with Al Pacino on Oedipus. His martial arts background includes Shaolin Kung-Fu and Tai Chi Chuan.

CONCUBINE- Alex Gizela has a successful career as an actor/model/dancer and has recently wrapped a pilot for MTV as host. In addition to several TV and film appearances she has toured ballet with the New York Theatre Ballet and performed ballet at the Metropolitan Opera House. She is a graduate of the Stella Adler program. Her martial arts background is Praying Mantis Kung-Fu.

EMPEROR/Producer- Matt Jade has produced over ten independent films. Upcoming films include a Japanese remake of Dog Day Afternoon and Euthanasia, both of which he produced and starred in.

GOBO- Mr. Yuk is an upcoming rap artist who has performed at Madison Square Garden and several of the major clubs in New York City. His martial arts background is Tae Kwon Do.

WIFE- Jing He has an MA from Florida State University. She has also created, directed, and performed in several projects. She has starred in several independent films done stand-up comedy.

DAUGHTER/Publications- Jessica Cortivo is a young actor/writer/dancer/singer who will be playing a supporting role in the upcoming independent film, Spank' Em.

To order tickets log on to smarttix.com and check under White Eyebrow and the Deatruction of Shaolin or call smarttix at 212-868-5044.

To contact M.A.T.E Inc. call David Blanc at 917-640-7787 or email at WhiteEyebrow2004@aol.com.

Place: Shetler Theater 244 West 54th Street, 12th Floor

Dates: March 18th-March 21st. Times: 8 PM Sat: 3 PM , 8 PM. Sun: 3 PM , 6 PM

thanks gene!

the letter and press kit is in the mail!

What do you think the chances are of you guys sponsoring a trip for me and a friend to the bars this weekend? We'll tell all the people that we beat up that we learned all of our kung fu from your mag and they should subscribe.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

If it's payment in beer, I'll get beaten up by NP and say "Wow, that kung fu from kungfumagazine is the shiznit!"
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Originally posted by KC Elbows
    If it's payment in beer, I'll get beaten up by NP and say "Wow, that kung fu from kungfumagazine is the shiznit!"
    Thats the spirit.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Maybe KFTC magazine would like to sponsor my three act play called "Masterkiller goes to Shaolin." It's a performance piece consisting soley of myself, my wife, and our daughter.

In the first act, MasterKiller (the hero) gets a check from KFTC magazine.

In act two, our hero discovers peril and must fight through the endless boredorm of long flights, while trying to appease the love interest (my wife) and sooth the angry child. This is the 'Empire Strikes Back' of my play. Very dark and emotional.

In act three, MasterKiller learns the value of hard work and eating bitter while training at Shaolin while his wife spends the extra money at the local shopping outlets.

I'll write up a proposal ASAP!
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Ha!Ha!Ha

Very funny,
    but the where putting on is real and serious, just go to URL:smarttix.com to see the ticket info. fi you live in the new york area you might wanna check it out on march 18

send in your proposals

I collect that kind of stuff - right next to my 'round file' alongside all the weird letters and the occasional manifesto.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips