Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: White Ape Steals Peach

So, that you donīt have to wait that long, here is a first a Tong Long Tao Tou Kuen performed by a student last week on a Celebration:

Tong Long Tao Tou Kuen

For any comments on the quality of the performing the form: please feel free to open a new thread.
    This thread is better used for further diskussion about the lineages and the form differences, I think.
    If you canīt change the world - change yourself!
    And if you canīt change yourself: change YOUR world!
    ---
    My YouTube Site

Thumbs up Hi Sifu Cottrell,

Thank you for the background info. I honestly have no clue that so much is going on behind a form since I am not a Kung Fu politic inclined person. You guidence is deeply appreciated.

Hi GBL,

Thanks for sharing the clip. I think you right that it would be great to have a seperate thread for it.

To All,

It is very heartwarming to see that details and infomation keep pouring in. I hope this serves as a great example of sharing on the KFO mantis board. Please keep them coming.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Compare

So here are our (Lee Kam Wing Linage) Versions of Ba Yuen Tao Tou and Chot Dong Kuen:

Ba Yuen Tao Tou Kuen

Ba Yuen Chot Dong Kuen
    ---
    My YouTube Site

Originally posted by Mantis9
    Just a question about the HK clip Mantis108 posted. Does this reflect your BYTT closely?

The reason I ask, is at two parts of the form shown, the players kick, post the kick leg in front, then pivot around to gua/dung san bu.

Being from the Chen Zhen Yi lineage, I was under the impression that CCY's and WHF's form where relatively the same. So, falsely I assume now, that kicked a pivoted into gua without posted the kicking foot.

Just curious, thanks.

Mantis9
    Mantis9,

I would like to say that in regards to the posted clip of Team Mantis' BYTT, while the sequence is fairly close to our WHF version, some of their transitions are different from ours.

In the beginning of the second road in our version, the diu sau is followed by a kick that carries all the way around instead of Team Mantis' stepping forward first. I assume this is what you are referring to as "posting" the kicking foot. Also at the end of the last road, a similar difference is noted. Overall, their flavor is not typical of WHF's BYTT.

YM
    Last edited by Young Mantis; 02-08-2004 at 07:25 PM.

Thumbs up Nice Clips

Hi German BaiLung,

Great clips. Very fluid and great speed as well. Congratulations to those performing them and thanks for sharing.

Warm regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

So nothing new the last days ...

But some questions remain:

- MantisCool said, that there were different versions not roads. So why are there different versions? What do you think?
    - same names in different linages are different forms: why?
    - did the meihua lineage got bayun forms? Are they different?

For me it is interesting to see curricili changed in the past.
    I have not the position to judge anyone who change curricili or even forms! I think most changes are done for a reason and it is nothing wrong to develop. Only point is who is changing the curriculum!
    ---
    My YouTube Site

yes, in fact i was thinking many times how possible are so big changes between branches only one style wich is tang lang quan.
    maybe the answer is that gong fu live with people, and we are different persons. even our posture, weight stimulate our gong fu. in some cases people decide to create or changed style beacause of their fight experience (or no experience), they learn some more from others and they want to put new technics to style. or maybe they dont know complete style and decide to create rest. in my opnion it is very hard to find one answer about changes in tang lang quan. most important is that it is still one family. my teacher Slawomir Milczarek decide to find source in yantai's 7* tang lang quan by Yu Tian Cheng shifu and im happy about this. but most important thing to everyone should be fact that tang lang quan is real fighitng art. no matter from wich branch. if you practise good gong fu and it is no waste of time that is ok. "good fists and good heart" in my opinion it is sense of practising. so if we do in diffrent ways bei yuan tou toe - but still we understand why and what for - it is ok.
    greetings piotr

clip

nice clips, appreciate it .

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    christ almighty, 18E, that's frikken low, man. props.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Bai Yuen Tao Tou

I understand this is a basic form in our Mantis world. But after all these years, I finally learned this form. Although basic, this form is chock full of applications and fighting goodies! Shrfu Jake Burroughs came out to Tennessee and shared. He is a student of Hu Xi Lin Laoshi. Master Hu studied under Master Ma HanQing for 30 years. Master Ilya Profatilov was also a deciple of Ma HanQing and Wang Yuanqian. I feel very lucky to be included. We will put up a thread about the seminar soon.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Yushan,

I dont agree that this is a basic form (PRC- Bai Yuan Tou Tao/ Tou Tao, Jing Wu- Tanglang Tou Tao, not talking about Jing Wu- Bai Yuan Tou Tao). It is the acme of Qixing Tanglang, which is where it originally comes from. It is full of subtleties and intricasies and is very difficult to master, only appearing 'basic' superficially.

bt

Originally posted by B.Tunks
    Yushan,

I dont agree that this is a basic form (PRC- Bai Yuan Tou Tao/ Tou Tao, Jing Wu- Tanglang Tou Tao, not talking about Jing Wu- Bai Yuan Tou Tao). It is the acme of Qixing Tanglang, which is where it originally comes from. It is full of subtleties and intricasies and is very difficult to master, only appearing 'basic' superficially.

bt
    Hallo,

I absolute agree!
    There is almost endlessly stuff in the Tau Tou Forms!
    ---
    My YouTube Site

The links to the vids are not working.

thx,
    UM.

Mr. Tunks

Let me make a slight adjustment to this comment of mine about Tao Tou. In my eyes this form is my most challenging so far. I have my work cut out for me. I`m looking forward to exchanging ideas with Tainan Mantis about this form next time we meet. The gentleman who taught me and a few of my peers made the comments about it being basic. This form will get my undivided attention, excuse me if I have offended.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    Tianan,

The version Jake showed us was Taiji Meihua.

What version is in our Pong Lai curriculum?

It was a great seminar, many thanks to Jake Burroughs for his sharing of form and application.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"