Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Police Special (March/April 2004)

Police Special (March/April 2004)

This is an interesting issue, doing it pretty much on police.

The interview with Master King Li Yen was nice, and a good touch to start off the issue. Too bad it did not show any techniques being applied however of Baijiquan.

The picture of Margie on page 23 hitting that one guy (Who is that dude anyway) with the action bat was nice.

To Protect and to Serve was...different. It was not what I was expecting at first. I liked the article itself, discussing how it works, how cops have to apply it, etc. I didn't like the rope techniques though. because it raises a few questions. 1.) You have both your hands (no pun intended) tied with the rope, making it difficult to block an attack if the rope does not work and 2.) Wouldn't it be difficult to catch fast punches with it? It looks fancy and interesting, but I think it looks difficult to pull off.

Is that the Incredible Hulk on page 29? Printing error

Baguazhang Law Enforcement by Dr Painter. Believe it or not, the day this issue arrived, I stood in my bathroom combing my hair and brushing my teeth and thought to myself "I wonder when Dr Painter will write another KF/TC article". I know he gets alot of crap online from Internet Warriors, and while the man DOES live a mile from me, I've never spoken to him (ran into him once eating dinner somewhere but did not comment cause that would be rude). I thought the opening story was pretty dumb, even if it was true. I found it a little far fetched that a man who is holding a shot gun, who wants to die, and wants the cop to help him would just drop it because the cop stepped out of his line of fire. It seems pretty cool though how the training works for the gun firing like that of the sword, but holding a sword and shooting a gun are a little different. The gun disarm on page 42-43 also seems a little out of place. I understand that IF you were a cop, and if a guy held a gun to you, pretty much he will shoot you or not shoot you, you can't give him your wallet and make him go away, and so that might be reasonable to try that technique. But given the distance between the attacker and defender at the start, if I had a guy pull a gun, I'd just give him my wallet.

Xingyi Bayonet, did not read it, I might not. I should though.

Baton Retention Techniques, my only question is why does that guy keep smiling?

The Ngo Cho Kune article seems pretty nice as well. I liked seeing what many say are "karate only" type weapons not found in CMA arts being used in CMA.

No comment on the Tonfa's Chinese Grandpa article.

The Wing Chun article, I just found, I totally missed it. I'll read it later.

The concept of the issue seems great, showing how police forces apply martial techniques, and the writing was nicely done in most cases, but the pictures of techniques seemed out of place. More to come.
    I have a signature.

hey Philbert**how you doing?

I was reading the articale of Baguzhang and I found it very interesting as well. though the beginning is a little (something you see in a move) i guess it can happen. I think when ones thought is so cocentrated on applying his tactics, that if something moves or he loses his thought for a breif moment, can make people do some dumb things. even if it is dropping his own weapon. You know how we see in movies..were like..ya right. come on.

I also read the protect and to serve article..this was very interesting as well. as far as the rope part..i'm right there with you. But then in the beginning it does state in the article "that not anyone can do this" Tony Chen is a very skilled master and there are alot of people that can take weapons away with items. besides the rope...look at the steel fan. YOu can obtain weapons from an opponent with that one as well. we dont know exactly how it works...it just takes some one skilled in it to accomplish that task.

page 29...i see what your saying about the incredible hulk.lol u so funny

Wow, you replied first! I expected Gene would be waiting for me to post the review that I tend to do frequently. I feel special now.

Im gonna go get some choclate milk to celebrate.

Aye, and as for how I am doing, I am doing well. I am thinking of getting another job, just something on the side, cause I have 2 days off during the week with no work/school so I figured I'd work 8 hours a day on those 2 days to earn a little extra spending dough. I want to get a new computer.
    Last edited by PHILBERT; 02-06-2004 at 10:43 PM.
    I have a signature.

Philbert

Thanks for your comments.

Tony's is really fast with that rope. I'm sure that someone could be faster, but someone can always be faster with rabbit punches; no technique is fool-proof. However his rope technique is very impressive, and there was a lot of stuff that he wouldn't let me show. Too bad. The best stories I can never print, only allude to...

The guy Margie is hitting is our webmaster Jake. He's also the one getting kicked in the head on the back cover. We like striking him, he's a webmaster.

No comments on the Wushu article?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Wushu article?

I'll get back to you on that.

It's part on of a magnum opus...

...well sort of.

Anyway, here's the link to the issue Mar Apr 2004
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

So far so good, I haven't finished yet, prob. will tonight.. I liked the angle on some of this stuff, different than usual cop articles.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

The Omnipotent Review

Was pretty good. As far as quality, certainly nothing to gripe about. As for content, well, these types of articles just don't get my blood moving all that much. But, that's a personal thing, not really a criticism.

Good stuff.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

thanks guys

Actually, I've been thinking that PHILBERT's original comment
    It was not what I was expecting at first.
    I find very very flattering. I hate being expected.

norther practitioner: Interesting. How would you define usual cop articles?

Vash: What does get your blood moving? Please don't say Margie. I'm not writing an article on her....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: thanks guys

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Vash: What does get your blood moving? Please don't say Margie. I'm not writing an article on her....
    Well, no, it's not Margie (sorry Margie). My girlfriend gets jealous enough, I don't need her confiscating my copies of KF/TC.

Well, the things I find most interesting. Hmm. That's a toughy. I enjoy anything regarding training methods such as Plum Flower Pole, Wooden Dummy, and Iron skills. Analysis of body mechanics and power generation in different KF styles is always a good read. Applications from techniques in classical forms.

And then I like general articles covering the less-known styles, or those that look at more wide-spread styles in a different light.

Turn off's include modern Wushu and MMA.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

Re: thanks guys

Originally posted by GeneChing
    ...Vash: What does get your blood moving? Please don't say Margie. I'm not writing an article on her....
    Darn...
    I have a signature.

Two parter here-

On gun disarms: there was a point here in KC where the police chief actually recommended as a response to having a gun pulled on you to immediately struggle for the gun, if possible. He got a lot of flak for this, but I think the statement was made under the assumption that there were probably a number of shooters loose at the time who were shooting anyway, whether the victim cooperated or not. Similar situation to when I was last in New Orleans- the napoleonic codes there made burglary and robbery almost as bad sentence-wise as murder, so if someone was robbing you, they might just shoot you, since you were often the only witness to the robbery.

Second part- articles I like- there was an Adam Hsu article recently in one mag that was about testing your kung fu for effectiveness. It had several little tester forms, not complex stuff, but the sort of stuff that kung fu practitioners SHOULD immediately understand if they tried it. I thought they were clever forms and a good article.

I tend to enjoy articles on rare weapons(there's one really young looking guy who does them for your mag, he looks just like one of my classmates, but his articles are always enjoyable, not pretensious or arrogant, just the facts), and on rare styles, though not when it gets to the point of bragging or outright fabrication. Articles that get into the theoretical side of their art interest me, while straight up applications articles usually leave me cold.

I also like chi kung articles that actually have content about chi kung, as opposed to articles that talk about chi kung masters. For that matter, I prefer articles about the arts over articles about those who do the arts, except in cases of very influential practitioners, and even then, I prefer the emphasis being on what about their kung fu makes them special.

So if you could get started on my issue, thanks. Throw in a Margie swimsuit pictorial for Philbert, while you're at it.

I'll have to check out the hsing yi bayonet. It's essentially a scaled down version of the spear forms, right?
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

And btw, the above post was not meant to say you folk weren't already doing a good job. I just figured feedback is always useful to an editor.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Thanks for your suggestions

We really do appreciate your feedback. I'm an applications man myself, so I totally agree about the training methods, apparatus, power generation, forms decoding, etc. You might notice that we've been moving in this direction a little more lately. Aslo, as a former antique weapon dealer, I love weapons, so there's more to come here too. As for qigong, that one is a little tricky becuase it is very difficult to write about. Not only do we have to find a qualified master, we have to find a good writer - of course this is true with any article, but the level is much more elusive with qigong. But we're working at that too. As for modern wushu, sorry Vash, but we will always report on that. I realize that many traditionalists reject it, but it is such a part of CMA that we must always cater to Wushu aficionados as well. MMA, we don't do much of that now. We are interest fringe CMA styles, like Vietnamese, Indonesian, etc, variations, and alos how CMA might deal with prevalent fight strategies like BJJ or Muay thai, but I think our CMA root keeps us away from most MMA stuff, except the occasional JKD article perhaps.

Keep the commentary coming. It's always nice to here some feedback, and we do actually listen to it.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

KC, much agreed with what you said.

I was amazed at how much mag space my letter took up in the last issue! Thanks Gene!