Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Police Special (March/April 2004)

OT:
    I'd prefer the 6 pack abs to the indestructible buddha belly (which I've got right now, actually).

Anyway, that looks like a movement out of a Gojuryu weapon's form I have. Is that a white crane stance?
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

High stance.. tiger claw hand... don't know.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Wouldn't suprise me if it's not. I know zilch about most kung fu. Just know that Gojuryu was influenced by white crane, and that basic posture is in a Gojuryu form.

I guess we should diverge and find out. MK, where'd you get the pic?

MK, where'd you get the pic?
    Ancient Chinese secret.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

qi belly

The notion of the qi belly is often debated in martial circles. The Japanese talk about the diamond hara - an strangely distended belly. Which is it? Fair question. In my youth, when I had a six pack, it was a six pack. Now that my belly has become more 'full of qi' I'm siding with the qi belly theory.

Seriously, I think they're both right. It's a shallow mind that cannot hold two competing concepts simultaneously. HOw can you begin to penetrate the yin yang with such a narrow viewpoint? I'd even side a bit more towards the qi belly since it is against the status quo. The notion of six pack abs comes more from ego today. In our times, ego must be qeulled more than ever.

As for the statue itself, it is a modern sculpture, built around '88 for the wushuguan. It is depicts a movement from the end of a traditional shaolin form called xiaohongquan. The statue itself has what I'd call classic communist sculptural features - the ludic recombination that exaggerates the solidity, the broadness. What Dr. REid was referring to was ancient texts, and for the most part, I can't refute his claim. But that too was locked into the style of art of the time, so I'm not sure you can make the suppostion that it was a true depiction. I find that argument a bit of a reach, but it's not so bothersome that I'd bother to contest it.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Originally posted by MasterKiller

Ancient Chinese secret.
    Darnit! Your kung fu is too strong for me!

gene- I guess you didn't see the interests part of the profile, or it wasn't graphic enough for you.

That qi article was great, especially #10 about the 4 gates. But I am also cnfused abut the belly business. In Chinese Boxing Robert Smith made the point that the stomach muscles were the most important thing for an athlete.
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu

Dr. Reid is an earnest qigong practitioner and healer (and also covers films for our e-zine) - that article was the last of a trilogy. Check out part one and two, in Sep Oct 2002 and Nov Dec 2002 respectively. As for the belly business, you'll find a lot more discussion of this if you study the Japanese arts. The hara is emphasized more overtly in Kendo, Judo, Sumo and Aikido. You can even see it in Karate and Kenpo. In CMA, parallel theories exist, but they haven't been translated so eloquently yet. And of course, there is discussion.

As for the profile, it really doesn't impress me that much. When I was working on Folsom at the sword shop, we had a leather room where we made sheathes, frogs and scabbards. We would buy full hides and had all the equipment. One of our employees started dabbling in making B&D stuff, using our equipment and buying his own hides. He started making some serious $$ and was actively researching it through the various B&D publications. Nasty stuff. Hardcore. That didn't bother us so much, but he started damaging the equipment and working on his own projects on company time. Eventually, he had to leave.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I liked the bit on Qigong...that showed me alot...even though I'm still not finished with it.

But what confused me was the pictures for the baton bit. It was hard to see some of the postions...like the part where the one with the baton gets his wrist grabed. I don't see how you restrain him at the very end of the move. He was sort of blocking it...

Pinyi was cool too!

I still remember the one one Kun Tao awhile back. My sifu told me that "Uncle Bill" isn't really that great.
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Glad you liked the pinyin

As for Uncle Bill, I haven't met him, but you're the first I've heard to mention anything negative. Of course, if we didn't run people that some Sifu said "isn't really that great" we couldn't run anyone. Everyone has detractors.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: Glad you liked the pinyin

Originally posted by GeneChing
    As for Uncle Bill, I haven't met him, but you're the first I've heard to mention anything negative. Of course, if we didn't run people that some Sifu said "isn't really that great" we couldn't run anyone. Everyone has detractors.
    My sifu let me borrow a tape he was it...I recored it but I never had a chance to watch it.

If you'll like I'll ask my Sifu why he doesn't like him.

umm...would "uncle" Bill see this?!
    ha ha ha
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

One of his students might...

... this is a free access forum.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More ideas

Just been thinking some more about the magazine. With all the contributors contacts, has anybody thought about approaching the masters themselves to see if they would like to write something? I'm talking about people such as Lam Jo, Lam Chun Fai etc.

Well, for one...

...they don't speak English. For two, a lot of high ranking masters can't write to save their lives. They may be great teachers, but that doesn't make them good writers at all. It puts us in an awkward position - especially if we request a piece - when it comes out poorly. It opens a horrible can of worms when it comes to etiquette, especially for 'old school' masters who have many odd expectations about what others should do for them. So what we prefer is that frelance authors do the interview and make it more presentable as an article.

BTW, here's the one we did with Lam Chun Fai
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'm not interested in what anyone under the age of 100 has to say about kung fu
    I do not ever see Sifu do anything that could be construed as a hula dancer- hasayfu