Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Police Special (March/April 2004)

Nor do they of your

I wasn't particularly keen on the bagua article. Seemed to talk down to the readers.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

np

You mean Painter's article? How do you mean "talk down"?

I'm not interested in what anyone under the age of 100 has to say about kung fu
    Didn't Dr. Seuss just turn 100?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Just seemed like it was a soap box article.
    Let me reread it this weekend, I'll give some specifics.

I was surprisingly impressed by the xing yi bayonette article...

I thought that was really cool.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

bayonets and soap boxes

I see. I suppose that their all soap box articles after a fashion. I would say that 70% of the submissions that we receive fall in a catagory that I call "I, me, mine" articles. Few people can actually write past their own schools. That's a shame, really, it shows the self-centeredness within our arts. Fortunately, they aren't all like that. But to some degree, every writer has his or her agenda.

When you said "talk down" I thought you meant he was taking a 'holier than thou" perspective, which I didn't really get from that article (I get that from other articles, surely).
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well, let's just hope you get more from Adam Hsu. He does some good stuff.

Just goes to show, to each his own...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

LOL, didn't see that one Gene. Guess it's horses for courses.

lol indeed!

You see how it is here? Anything we publish will please some people and bother some one else. Such is the martial world. Every one has their opinions. It would make it hard if we were thin skinned, but then again, if we were thin skinned, we wouldn't be in the martial arts.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Originally posted by norther practitioner
    Just seemed like it was a soap box article.
    Let me reread it this weekend, I'll give some specifics.

I was surprisingly impressed by the xing yi bayonette article...

I thought that was really cool.
    Same here!
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."
    -Dave Chappelle on Tyrone Biggums

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

Odin of Wei

Same here!
    soap box of really cool? or both? I really like to hear your comments but please give some more details.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: Odin of Wei

Originally posted by GeneChing
    soap box of really cool? or both? I really like to hear your comments but please give some more details.
    My bad, the Xing Yi.

I saw some stuff on it in a book but it was very little.

That bit got be thinking, back when I heard that there is a gun martial art.

Anyone know if that's true?
    A"recovered" crack addict. "That came from being one of the Reagan-era kids when I was in middle school as part of that whole Just Say No thing. They would have people who were recovering addicts come to talk to us at school. One guy in particular came to talk to us about drugs. But it didn't sound like he thought they were that bad. He sounded more like a commercial for drugs than a warning."

"A good male hostage negotiator can talk the pants off a nun. And a good female negotiator could be caught in bed with another man by her husband and the next moment would be standing up, putting her clothes on, acting like it was a big joke, convincing the husband that nothing happened. And after a while, maybe he wouldn't believe it, he's not stupid, but it would put some doubts in his head..."
    -CPD hostage negotiator

There are gun arts....

In Japan, I think it was called hojitsu, but it was more for ancient firearms, like flintlocks and such. I've seen some pistol drawing techniques based on Bagua - in fact, it was Dr. Painter who shared some of those with me. It's a lot of weird covert drawing techniques that allow you to draw a bead in an evasive action very quickly, sort of a variation of sword drawing arts. But once your gun is out - shoot! There's really not much more to it than that.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: There are gun arts....

In Japan, I think it was called hojitsu, but it was more for ancient firearms, like flintlocks and such. I've seen some pistol drawing techniques based on Bagua - in fact, it was Dr. Painter who shared some of those with me. It's a lot of weird covert drawing techniques that allow you to draw a bead in an evasive action very quickly, sort of a variation of sword drawing arts. But once your gun is out - shoot! There's really not much more to it than that.
    Oh, that's intresting.

Ummm I think the Bagua is in this month's issue, am I right?

And have you seen the movie, Equilibrium? If you haven't you really should, I highly recomend it.
    Most people probably never heard of it due to the director like running out of money or something and he didn't really advertise it too much. But in it there is like an insane gun martial art.

It just really cool to watch.http://www.freewebs.com/equilibrium-movie/

-CPD hostage negotiator

we somewhat between issues right now...

...our new issue, May June 2004, should be on stands right about now. There's no bagua in it. I was just referenceing something Dr. Painter showed me privately. I get shown a lot of stuff that never makes it into the mag for various reasons...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Re: we somewhat between issues right now...

...our new issue, May June 2004, should be on stands right about now. There's no bagua in it. I was just referenceing something Dr. Painter showed me privately. I get shown a lot of stuff that never makes it into the mag for various reasons...
    obiviously...

-CPD hostage negotiator