Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Police Special (March/April 2004)

New mag

Is there any reference to the May/June issue contents on the site?

I hope May/June is out right now. I've got enough to go to WallyWorld and check it out.

If it's not, oh, well. Maybe I can get that IKF with the Shaolin Do chick.
    BreakProof Back® Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

KFTC FAQ

Simon - we'll post the table of contents and the cover story of the new issue in a week or two. We post all of that here - you'll find a complete archive of all our cover stories there.

BTW, I'm really delighted to hear so much enthusiasm here about when the next issue comes out - (see KFTC FAQ). Thanks for your support.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Re: Police Special (March/April 2004)

Originally posted by PHILBERT
    This is an interesting issue, doing it pretty much on police.

Baguazhang Law Enforcement by Dr Painter. I thought the opening story was pretty dumb, even if it was true. I found it a little far fetched that a man who is holding a shot gun, who wants to die, and wants the cop to help him would just drop it because the cop stepped out of his line of fire. It seems pretty cool though how the training works for the gun firing like that of the sword, but holding a sword and shooting a gun are a little different. The gun disarm on page 42-43 also seems a little out of place. I understand that IF you were a cop, and if a guy held a gun to you, pretty much he will shoot you or not shoot you, you can't give him your wallet and make him go away, and so that might be reasonable to try that technique. But given the distance between the attacker and defender at the start, if I had a guy pull a gun, I'd just give him my wallet.

Hi,

As to the opening story that came from an Ohio sheriffs officer. I had nothing to do with it. I did not write the article either.. The gun idea is one that Sgt. Krausman called APC or Action Pistol Response. It is not based on how one holds a sword as much as how one uses intention (Yi) to thrust the sword into a target. This method which was taught by me to Sgt. Krausman, (The author of the article and head of the American Rangers Ohio Company A) we were in Toronto at a workshop when we were discussing terrorism.

APC has been taught to thousands of law enforcement officers and allows them to draw and fire with very high accuracy while standing and also while running. You would have to see it to believe just how accurate and they can do it all without using their gun sites. It is entirely based on internal martial principles. The attorney general in Ohio liked the system so much that she asked for it to become part of the state curriculum. I first learned it with that Mauser pistol from my teacher. You know the one that so many like to ditz about on our web site.

The gun take away is a basic Baguazhang turning method. It can be used when one officer is in such close proximity to a suspect who is holding a firearm that it is not practical for him to draw his weapon. Any of our officers who are certified in these methods or I will be more than happy to demonstrate these particular tactics on you doubting Thomas’s and you can use an air soft or paint ball gun to see if it really works. The only requirement is that you stand in the same range as shown in the photos.

If you live so close come visit us I would like to get to know you.

John P. Painter
    Capt. American Rangers
    Texas Company A

PS: The guy in the photos is a Federal Air Marshall.
    Thank you for your patience!

oooh, someone's been digging through the archives...

Thanks for the comments, John. It's good to see you rebutting critics personally here. I admire any author who will stand behind his work on the forum here, but maybe that's because I have to do it myself all the time here.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I really appreciate the feedback Dr. Painter on the article. I will try to come visit sometime, between working full time and school full time (plus training and what pitiful social life I try to muster together) it is somewhat difficult. Though I should get around to it, if I remember correctly, you are located only a mile away from where I live. Anyway, I appreciate the feedback.
    I have a signature.

Re: oooh, someone's been digging through the archives...

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Thanks for the comments, John. It's good to see you rebutting critics personally here. I admire any author who will stand behind his work on the forum here, but maybe that's because I have to do it myself all the time here.
    Dere Gene,
    I do not mind if I am in town and not too busy. There are some good things on this forum although I admit I do not monitor it very frequently. I appreciate your magazine giving me a forum for our work.

I look forward to seeing you in PA this coming year and hope you can get free to go visit my friend Frank Frazetta at his musem.

John P. Painter
    Thank you for your patience!

Frazetta

Hey John,
    You know I'm all over that museum this year. We should schedule the Festival around the museum trip. Maybe we should suggest that to Jim - he can add it as a feature to the program! BTW, did you see this thread
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips