Thread: The Press

Talking The Press

Have any of you guys used the press, push or shoulder strikes common to Baji and Taiji to fend off a good puncher? What kind of luck did you have? I was watching some Vale Tudo fights today and never saw any of these techniques. It seems like they would be good to drive an opponent backwards provided there was a barrier between the fighters and audience. I'd like to hear from some of the KuoShu and SanSau fighters on this.

Thanks

there are many ways to use press in general the reason why is another story i have seen press used in many places and it is a way to cause a concussive black out in some of the applications which i think are better learned from a expert that could revive your target if you get out of hand
    matt bugg

Greetings..

In one sparring session there was a good boxer that would rush with a lead right to set up a left hook.. after the 2nd or third of these rushes i tried deflecting the right across his mid-line while sinking onto my back leg and maintaining my stance.. the result was that it positioned me perfectly to execute a left shoulder-press into his exposed ribs, the tension stored in my twisted waist and crouched stance added the necessary power to effectively imact the rib/liver area, up-root him and send him stumbling backwards.. it was not a finishing move but it did encourage him to alter his plan.. the end result was that i had a new respect for a boxer's torso conditioning and a better respect for the effectiveness of Qinna.. boxers are not trained or conditioned to deal with Qinna..

Be well...
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

I used shoulder shrike in the street. Some guy bumped my girlfriend out of the way in the street intentionaly. She had a bad hip injury when she was younger and cant swurve side to side so easly. Right before that he was giving me a dirty look. So I started walking twards him to bump him back in the prosses of bumping into him he tried some resitence with his body and I slamed him in the front of his body with a shoulder strike it was a very effective strike. His friend then jently pushed me to stick up for his friend and I palm heeled him on the side of his neck not hard though that was all that happend. They thought I was a made man and dident want to fight. His two friends dident see him bump my girlfriend and thought I was just some crazy guy stating a fight for no reason. Stupid story but the blatant disrespect of this guy sent me over the edge.

I didn't necessarily use a press but a push rather.
    While in sparring I let my opponent finish their technique and as soon as they began to retreat I used a nice uplifting push - pretty cool effect
    Train, not practice