Quote Originally Posted by SPJ
there is a difference.

I happen to know 2 popular wushu or tai chi kung fu schools in the area. there are teaching some basics and then form works old and new. some Qi Gong, some push hands. It is a short course and not expensive. It is to let the public have some ideas of Tai Chi and Tang Lang.

there is no saying about turning you into a fighter. they enjoy performing choreographed fighting sets at public events. that is about it.

I would first ask, are the classes free? Otherwise, let's be clear on the intent. And there's nothing wrong with making a buck.

But now you're charging. So the big question: are these self defense applications being taught as part of these basics?

That's it in a nut shell. If you're teaching someone "self defense" they should be able to produce results that will defend them.

Otherwise, don't call it Supreme Ultimate Boxing or Mantis Fist, call it Chinese Opera. That is my point. Otherwise you have Shaolin Monk wannabees with delusions of granduer that can get them hurt at the most, taking their money through disception at the least.

I just don't think it's right. Teach what you know and label what you know honestly.

The Civil War Memmorial Society does not recruit people for militant training. They put on uniforms and march up the street and there's nothing wrong with that. It's when they start putting their two cents into military affairs, and when their number and voice are actually larger than those in the know, that CMA is in jeopardy of losing everything. Everything is becoming Wushu. We should be outraged about this and fighting to reverse this trend and preserve what's left. Do you think it's by accident this is happening in China?