Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: The tenth animal of CLF?

I would just take "biu" as tiger-like rather than a straight translation of tiger cub. It has already been posted on this thread that there are tiger elements in the form, but what qualities of the form would suggest a cub?

I 2nd the motion for har gow and siu mai.

Last time I watched the Discovery Channel, tiger cubs, lion cubs, etc... got eaten by other predators unless Mom & Dad were around. At least a deer can run fast.

So you have a "running fast" form then?

LOL @ the tag "gold stream monster fist"
    WTF ???
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

I am not sure which is better the dying quick form or the running away form?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    The second character can be used in lieu of the first when it is in a martial context. The additional gold radical to the left refers to the penetrating or cutting power of Metal as in the five Elements.

The Biao Xing Quan or Biu Ying Kuen in Cantonese is best suited for the small guys who trained for speed and agility like a little spotted deer, it takes best advantage of their body type..

XJ:

Does this form in any way incorporate what might be considered "light skill" for evasive purposes? Just when I think of what deers do this came to mind, that and a few too many Shaw Brothers movies.

Just curious have you seen or did you learn this set? I would imagine it is probably pretty rare in CLF circles.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 05-22-2008 at 11:07 AM.

Rare in the west cos you guys are huge. Not so in China when the size is much smaller. The ability to get out of the way then jump back in comes handy. Why have a Tiger Cub form when there is a Tiger form already?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    So who is right? Who has the best evidence? Or are both right, are there 11 animals in CLF?

Discerning CLF players everywhere want to know. .

EO
    There is no kuen Po for the Deer form in this lot. They are not the original, only hand copies with exception of one.

Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    Rare in the west cos you guys are huge. Not so in China when the size is much smaller. The ability to get out of the way then jump back in comes handy. Why have a Tiger Cub form when there is a Tiger form already?
    if teh tiger is king of the beasts, why a leopard and a lion? We don't seem to be arguing over those?
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

I think it's safe to say it may be another type of cat, that may look like a little tiger...like the ones posted on here already.

But the fact remains that most people, especially people in the know and the Kuyhn Po's are stating it's a tiger cub (we know that might mean a type of cat)

It think the 'goose' chase to find the 'deer' is coming to an end.

Those of us who know the form, know that it is 'cat-like' movements, not 'deer-like'.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    I think it's safe to say it may be another type of cat, that may look like a little tiger...like the ones posted on here already.

But the fact remains that most people, especially people in the know and the Kuyhn Po's are stating it's a tiger cub (we know that might mean a type of cat)
    When I was doing research on forms I came across a CLF "cat" form. I wonder if this is the same one?

It think the 'goose' chase to find the 'deer' is coming to an end.
    Seeing as XJ will not present any evidence to the contrary, you may be correct. Alternatively, there may be a deer form AND a cat-cub form, CLF has added all kinds of forms along the way

But what I'd really like to know is, was there a theoretical basis for 10 animals at the beginning....like in Chan Heung's day? The world may never know.

EO

I have to disagree, not saying you are wrong but I don't think you can say you are ultimately right either. You know the 10-animal form but not the individual biu ying kuen form, correct? If those are not original kuen po's like XJ mentioned who is to say that DFW didn't translate the character incorrectly. One of Chan Wing Fat/Chen Yong Fa's top people said it is "deer" and that is coming directly through Chan Hueng's family line. Someone can't simply say it translates to Tiger Cub unless Chan Yiu Chi secretely knew English and has duplicate copies in english.

The fact is many of the characters used in kung fu are not common words or characters used in normal conversations and lets face it most of our sifus and their sifus and so on were not exactly members of Mensa International. It is very easy for a character to get translated differently.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post

The fact is many of the characters used in kung fu are not common words or characters used in normal conversations and lets face it most of our sifus and their sifus and so on were not exactly members of Mensa International. It is very easy for a character to get translated differently.
    All sadly way too true

I tend to think that for our lineage, it's some sort of cat... maybe for others it is a deer? Impossible to say what it "originally was"!?!?!?!?

Sort of why the "my stuff is pure" thing is played to death
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by CFT View Post
    For the Chinese literate (sorry for those who are not):

- http://www.zdic.net/zd/zi/ZdicE9ZdicBAZdic83.htm
    - http://www.zdic.net/zd/zi/ZdicE5ZdicBDZdicAA.htm

1st is associated with deer, horned animal
    2nd is associated with the tiger

What character do you use in your lineage?
    Thanks, this dictionary said the 1st character is a deer-like one horned animal, could be a unicorn or rhino; also said a wolf-like animal, either saying is an assumption according to its detail explanation. The 2nd character indicates stripes of tiger, also small (little) tiger; I don’t think it means the maturity but rather the size of the tiger. If it is a tiger cub, this character (pix one) would have been used.
    The second character is commonly known and used by Chinese in general.
    I’m not a CLF practitioner. But we use the second one in our system.