Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The tenth animal of CLF?

Originally posted by Ben Gash
    A deer would make sense as other southern ten animals systems have the deer in this place. My resources don't show a deer form though. Do you know it XJ?
    No, I don't need to know it, all animals move the same, it doesn't matter too much because there are only so many ways one can kick and punch. Someone could see a move as one animal while another could see a different animal with both being plausible, why bother?

Blog Entries

Re: Fu-Pow

The Biu in Biu Ying Kuen is definitely written with a metal radical next to the deer radical. It does mean a bit (of a bridle) but in its archaic meaning the metal radical was used to denote the fighting nature of a deer on fire (the four dotes).

FP: That sounds very bizarre. The fighting nature of a deer on fire?

Picture a horseman charging towards his enemy, the bridle (the biu) attached to his horse would flickered like a golden deer darting in the sun. It represented a deer in war with its metal shinning.

FP: Ok that was my next question...that is...how did they get the meaning of horse bit from "golden deer on fire"?

The sound biu also rerpresent a "dart" and "charging forward", although they are written differently.

As the sound of the name implied, Biu Ying Kuen is made up of biu ma (charging horse), biu ji (charging fingers) and biu jin (charging arrow-palms) techniques, sometimes in singular and sometimes in lin wun (continuous) combinations and it also has deer like kicks.

FP: Hmmm...very interesting. So they are using Biu (as in deer) as a h0mphone for Biu (as in "thrust"). Those clever old Chinese guys, what will they suprise us with next?

Blog Entries
    XJ-

Have you seen the other forms we were talking about earlier such as Si Ying, Ma Ying or Hau Ying?

What kind of flavor or what kind of techs do these form utilize?

Extrajoseph:

Your sarcasm never ceases to amaze me. That wasn't my point, just that ones CLF life isn't over if you never learn all the animal sets. I know all CLF sets have a main point to them but with so many thats a lot of points or more likely a lot of repeated points.

But then again you usually emerge from your cave to stir things up. Besides you didn't quote me so I should charge you for the plagarism. Come on give me some props, huh!

Gung hai faht choy, sun tai gin hong.

Peace.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 02-12-2004 at 11:45 AM.

Re: Re: Fu-Pow

Originally posted by Fu-Pow

The Biu in Biu Ying Kuen is definitely written with a metal radical next to the deer radical. It does mean a bit (of a bridle) but in its archaic meaning the metal radical was used to denote the fighting nature of a deer on fire (the four dotes).

FP: That sounds very bizarre. The fighting nature of a deer on fire?

JX: Fire refers to the Fire element, whose nature is penetrating and destructive. The archaic character made of a deer radical above a gold radical actually means fighting.

FP: Hmmm...very interesting. So they are using Biu (as in deer) as a h0mphone for Biu (as in "thrust"). Those clever old Chinese guys, what will they suprise us with next?

JX: Chinese women, ask CLFNole!

Blog Entries
    You mean this one....

http://www.chinalanguage.com/cgi-bin/char.cgi?93D6

One question....why does the character "biao" minus the gold radical also mean to "cultivate the land?" What is the connection between fire, deers and cultivating land?

XJ-

Have you seen the other forms we were talking about earlier such as Si Ying, Ma Ying or Hau Ying?

What kind of flavor or what kind of techs do these form utilize?
    I have seen these three you mentioned, Si Ying uses a lot of palm techniques and low stances, Ma Ying is very strong in the footwork and Dan Lan and Hau Ying is fun to watch, some movements are surprisingly deadly like rolling along the ground and come up under your crouch with a Yum Waat!

I am going to go back into my cave now and give you guys some peace. Frank, its your turn!

CLFNole, no hard feelings, you have a nice year of the monkey too and watch out for that yum waat from you know who!

Extrajoseph:

My year is monkey and we had my sister-in-law go to the temple in HK to see if this is a good year for us to have a child. Much to my delight the fortune was good although they indicated a girl. A girl would be fine but if she is like my wife she will prefer shopping to kung fu.

Had a question for you. I think you are familiar with Sifu Poon Fun. Well I have his Ng Lun Ma book and while similar to the version I know it is different in some areas. It is also different from the Chan Wing Fa version I have on vcd. I was wondering which yours is like since your dad is from the Chan Yiu Chi line although not through the family line. Is it more like the Chan Family vcd or Poon Fun's book?

Peace.

Animal kung fu is very good, especially clf and hung gar. That's because there're lots of animals in southern china to learn from.

Dragon strong but slow swinging action that relies on finger strength to grab an opponent to pull him down. The style looks regal and magestic.

Tiger beats dragon is less strong but faster. Uses the heal of the palm to pry open the opponent's bridge as you rush in and claw them with your fingers. Not much leg work.

Snake is faster and beats tiger. teaches you to stick to the opponent like wing chun but has the advantage of powerful finger strikes with proper conditioning.

Crane beats snake. Swinging arms to beat off opponents, plus front kicks, crane beak strike and good evasion with nimble foot work.

Leapord is a smaller cat and does not use claws. It uses the paw to throw quick punches at the opponent. It has round hits, upper cuts and tends to leap from a crouching position. Pound for pound, a leapord is stronger than a tiger.

Ego, are you , like, feeling OK man?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

CLFNole,

Good luck, a Monkey dad with a Monkey girl will be great but make sure you have two bathrooms in the house, when she grows up she will hog one for sure.

I have not seen CWF's vcd but Poon Fun's picture book looked close enough to what I have learned, I remembered thinking ours got a few more moves.

JX
    Last edited by extrajoseph; 02-13-2004 at 10:22 PM.

Fu-Pow,

You mean this one....

http://www.chinalanguage.com/cgi-bin/char.cgi?93D6

One question....why does the character "biao" minus the gold radical also mean to "cultivate the land?" What is the connection between fire, deers and cultivating land?
    In primative time, China was full of trees and deers, the farmers lived in this environment and had a strong identification with them. If they want to cultivate the land they have to first clear the land with fire by chopping down the trees and burn them to use as fertilizer and the deers began to disappear....

Sounds familiar, doesn't it? The way we continue to destroy our environment.

Did you know the deer radical with the earth radical under means dust? When a herd of deers starts to run they sure kick up a lot of earth and made the dust.

I love the picturegrams of Chinese characters, they can tell such interesting stories just by looking at them.

JX

Other good animals styles are

Dog kung fu, which is great for ground fighting and take downs. Most styles can beat the tiger and dragon, but not the leapord, snake or crane.

Monkey is good and better than the snake or leapord. Lizard kung fu is very powerful, allows rooting on walls. Eagle claw is powerful due to the finger strength - rips through flesh and crushes bones.

A person who knows eagle would break the arms and legs of someone who knows tiger kung fu before crushing his wind pipe and making him spit blood as he rolls in agnoy on the ground.

Praying Mantis is the most powerful. The mantis hook pierces flesh, which makes it faster than the eagle. It is truly a thundering style. In the time the eagle takes to crush the bones and break the joins, the mantis claw would have pierces the sides, rib cage or vital arteries of his opponent.

In all finger strength and flexibility are the main requirements of kung fu.

Extrajoseph:

One of the reasons I asked was because I wondered how the teachings were directly through the family (ie. Sifu Chan Wing Fa)versus students of the family (i.e. your father would studied with Chan Yiu Chi).

I was curious if forms were different (seems like as forms pass generations they change somewhat) and if students outside the family were exposed to all 10 animal sets or were some kept in the family?

Also were all the internal sets kept in the family or were they passed to some high-level (long time) non-family students?

I also never realized than Chan Yiu Chi had a brother. Not much is mentioned of him in CLF history you can read in english. Do you know of him? Are his students around today?

Peace.

CLFNole

The transmission of Chan Family CLF has always been feudalistic in nature, the higher level forms get passed down only through the family members and the inner chamber disciples. It is only during recent times that the internal sets and the rare animal forms were taught openly and to the western students.

My father's generation seldom taught openly for various reasons (in my father case he was very rich and there is no need for him to teach kung fu for a living, he only taught me and my cousin but he gave it away years ago) and the Chan family was isolated in China until after the Cultural Revolution, so it was not until Chan Wing Fat made his way to Australia that we get to see some of their family art.

Because we are human it is only natural that one generation taught slightly different to another, but the essence was always there.

Chan Yiu Chi had a brother and a sister but they did not continue the family tradition so they don't have any surviving students today, hence we don't hear anyone mentioning them.

JX