Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The tenth animal of CLF?

It really depends on what animals were around the villages. If its prone to tigers then they learn tiger. Sarmers also work extensively with ox, and would leaen ox kung fu. Snakes and cranes are also quite common.

Better Late Than Never

Too bad I just discovered this thread today. Hopefully some of those who were taking part in this discussion are still around

In reading through, I see that everyone pretty much agreed that the 10th animal of CLF (the Biu) was some type of Golden/Fire Deer. Now, I'm not a CLF player in any way, I'm strictly Ng Ga Kuen of Ark Y. Wongs lineage. I have done quite a bit of research on the origins, commonalities and differences of the Five Family Styles (Fut, Hung, Choy, Li, Mok). In regards to this topic in particular, my research has led me to believe that, at minimum, Ng Ga Kuen, Hung Ga and CLF all have the same list of 10 animals (Dragon, Snake, Tiger, Leopard, Crane, Lion, Monkey, Elephant, Horse, and Biu). However, in the process of my research, I have never heard the "Biu" reffered to as some type of deer and have never seen the character that was previously posted here. What I have discovered to be common amongst our Family Styles, is the the "Biu" is always reffered to as a creature related to the large cat family; sometimes called Panther, Jaguar, Tiger Cub or Small Tiger.

The way it was explained to me by GM Ma Seming was that when GM Wong Ark Yuey first introduced the form to non-chinese students, he called the Biu, the Panther for the sake of simplicity; but, that the "Biu" is actually a mythical beast known only in Chinese culture. It is somewhat like a small yet very strong tiger.

The character that I have found to be commonly used for this creaturer is:

Attachment 4578

I would like to know more about the "deer" story and to know others interpretation of the "Biu" which I have discussed.

Steven Perez
    S5CBA

Quote Originally Posted by extrajoseph View Post
    The transmission of Chan Family CLF has always been feudalistic in nature, the higher level forms get passed down only through the family members and the inner chamber disciples. It is only during recent times that the internal sets and the rare animal forms were taught openly and to the western students.

My father's generation seldom taught openly for various reasons (in my father case he was very rich and there is no need for him to teach kung fu for a living, he only taught me and my cousin but he gave it away years ago) and the Chan family was isolated in China until after the Cultural Revolution, so it was not until Chan Wing Fat made his way to Australia that we get to see some of their family art.

Because we are human it is only natural that one generation taught slightly different to another, but the essence was always there.

Chan Yiu Chi had a brother and a sister but they did not continue the family tradition so they don't have any surviving students today, hence we don't hear anyone mentioning them.

JX
    Hello Joseph X Gung Fu and the cultural revolution is a very interesting part of history to me plus I'm fascinated by the culture of CLF. What was it like for the Chan fam during the cultural revolution?. In Robert smith's Martial Musings text his friend Rose who was around Sun Lu Tang and them back in the day mentioned that Chen Style Tai Ji fam were all addicted to opium during WW2 as there was so much depression and very little food...they survived on weeds, tai ji and chasing the dragon. Very fascinating parts of history, would you please share some CLF war stories?

Quote Originally Posted by redmantis3 View Post
    Too bad I just discovered this thread today. Hopefully some of those who were taking part in this discussion are still around

In reading through, I see that everyone pretty much agreed that the 10th animal of CLF (the Biu) was some type of Golden/Fire Deer. Now, I'm not a CLF player in any way, I'm strictly Ng Ga Kuen of Ark Y. Wongs lineage. I have done quite a bit of research on the origins, commonalities and differences of the Five Family Styles (Fut, Hung, Choy, Li, Mok). In regards to this topic in particular, my research has led me to believe that, at minimum, Ng Ga Kuen, Hung Ga and CLF all have the same list of 10 animals (Dragon, Snake, Tiger, Leopard, Crane, Lion, Monkey, Elephant, Horse, and Biu). However, in the process of my research, I have never heard the "Biu" reffered to as some type of deer and have never seen the character that was previously posted here. What I have discovered to be common amongst our Family Styles, is the the "Biu" is always reffered to as a creature related to the large cat family; sometimes called Panther, Jaguar, Tiger Cub or Small Tiger.

The way it was explained to me by GM Ma Seming was that when GM Wong Ark Yuey first introduced the form to non-chinese students, he called the Biu, the Panther for the sake of simplicity; but, that the "Biu" is actually a mythical beast known only in Chinese culture. It is somewhat like a small yet very strong tiger.

The character that I have found to be commonly used for this creaturer is:

Attachment 4578

I would like to know more about the "deer" story and to know others interpretation of the "Biu" which I have discussed.

Steven Perez
    S5CBA
    Hello Steven, I wonder does the Monkey in your list resemble Tai Shing Pek Gwa?

James

Biu is the Tiger Cub....

The tiger without claws.....

Do any of you guys have a 10 animal form??

I admit though, we didn't know what it was for a few years...lol

Some refer to Tiger Cub as the 10th animal while others refer to Deer. I believe the Chan Family considers deer, whereas i recall DFW using tiger cub.

A baby animal if you will would seem rather odd to me. I remember XJ describing the deer form some time ago in this post in fact. If I recall it was a bit of an obscure character combining the character for lok - "deer" with another.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 05-19-2008 at 08:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CLFNole View Post
    Some refer to Tiger Cub as the 10th animal while others refer to Deer. I believe the Chan Family considers deer, whereas i recall DFW using tiger cub.

I baby animal if you will would seem rather odd to me. I remember XJ describing the deer form some time ago in this post in fact. If I recall it was a bit of an obscure character combining the character for lok - "deer" with another.
    The Tiger Cub and the Golden Deer are ****nyms in Chinese...but if XJ is correct, the character is the deer, not the Tiger Cub.

EO

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    The Tiger Cub and the Golden Deer are ****nyms in Chinese...but if XJ is correct, the character is the deer, not the Tiger Cub.

EO
    Lol at h0monyms being censored.

EO

In our family, it's a tiger cub. I didn't have to read the character, my teacher told me what it was and drew a picture when I clearly had not understood him.

Did any of you learn the Sahp Ying Kuyhn?? In our version, it's clear it's a Tiger Cub.

We've got;

Dragon,
    Snake,
    Tiger,
    Leopard,
    Crane,

Horse,
    Monkey,
    Tiger Cub,
    Lion,
    Elephant.

Do some of you know a 10 animal form???

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    In our family, it's a tiger cub. I didn't have to read the character, my teacher told me what it was and drew a picture when I clearly had not understood him.

Did any of you learn the Sahp Ying Kuyhn?? In our version, it's clear it's a Tiger Cub.

We've got;

Dragon,
    Snake,
    Tiger,
    Leopard,
    Crane,

Horse,
    Monkey,
    Tiger Cub,
    Lion,
    Elephant.

Do some of you know a 10 animal form???
    I never learned a ten animal form.

When I asked my old CLF Sifu, Mak Fai, he told me it was a Tiger Cub too but I thought it was suspect.

If it is a Tiger Cub then what are the techniques? And how are they be substantially different than a Tiger? I see that one of your classmates have a clip of Saap Ying on You Tube.

EO
    Last edited by Eric Olson; 05-20-2008 at 04:24 AM.

Yes, BIU is TIGER CUB! For those of you that heard it from your Sifu's, they were correct. IT IS A TIGER CUB, PERIOD!

It has 3/4 leopard claws, the knuckles aren't fully extended, it strikes with the inside of the hand and uses a 'pawing' motion, much like a house cat. It uses claws also, but they are small and are used with the hand almost clenched.

It is not a deer, forget homophones or characters for a moment. If a teacher didn't learn the 10 animal form, he might have got the character wrong or made a mistake. A few of you have already claimed that your teachers said it was the tiger cub. They were right.

If you learned the form, you should know. If not, I think some of you are just guessing.

彪 means tiger/young tiger.

http://humanum.arts.cuhk.edu.hk/Lexi...rch.php?q=%B3C

There is also the phrase: 彪形大漢 which means a powerful looking man.

I was told that this "tenth animal" was either a "tiger-cat" (cat=cub?) or a "young lion," but never remembered the chinese term. The ten animals are supposed to be the same in many southern siu lam styles.
    "Look, I'm only doing me job. I have to show you how to defend yourself against fresh fruit."

For it breeds great perfection, if the practise be harder then the use. Sir Francis Bacon

the world has a surplus of self centered sh1twh0res, so anyone who extends compassion to a stranger with sincerity is alright in my book. also people who fondle road kill. those guys is ok too. GunnedDownAtrocity

James,

Ng Ga Kuen actually has 2 Monkey forms which "kinda", resemble Tai Shing Pek Gwa. The postures are higher with an arched back, some rolling but not too much and little hopping. I believe the movements are based upon the Golden Monkey of China.

To everyone else who's been participating in my revival of this dead thread.

I appriciate all of your input.

As for the Biu, the tiger-cub is what the character is usually translated as however, I don't believe it to literally mean a "young or small tiger". As I mentioned before, I was told that the Biu was a mythical beast, unknown, outside of China. Also, if you analyze the character itself, you see that it is made up of the character for Tiger plus an additional three strokes which suggest a very powerful tiger. In chinese language, Biu is almost never used by itself and is generally used with several other characters (as CFT posted) to describe a very strong/powerful man. So, I don't see how it could mean "tiger-cub", at least, not in the way that westerners envision a "cub". So, any more thoughts on what the Biu actually is

I do agree with Lama Pai Sifu, in Ng Ga Kuen, the Biu uses more slashing and swiping motions and the hand formation is somewhere between our Leopard and Tiger Claw. There are a few throat grabs and a couple of times when we utilize the Leopard fist. I'd like to here more on how the rest of you use it in your systems.

The reason I brought up the "deer" story was not because of the character being used but because the pinyin "Biu/Biao" I assumed that the same animal was trying to be conveyed.

Steven Perez
    S5CBA