Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The tenth animal of CLF?

What I hate about necromancy is it reminds me how F***ing clueless I used to be Biu is Tiger Cub, we had this discussion about 18 months ago and the Kuen Pos from Chan Yiu Chi clearly say Biu Ying/Tiger cub shape.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash View Post
    What I hate about necromancy is it reminds me how F***ing clueless I used to be Biu is Tiger Cub, we had this discussion about 18 months ago and the Kuen Pos from Chan Yiu Chi clearly say Biu Ying/Tiger cub shape.
    So how do you reconcile that with what Howard Choy and XJ say...that it is a deer? Whatever people might write in CAPS, there seems to be some disagreement about the 10th animal.

EO

people can say what they want, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a tiger cub. Most of those posting here have not learned it, and you are having discussions about what you think it is, based on the chinese character?

Eric Olsen, your teacher told you and you were suspect? And Red Mantis; you were told it was a mythological creature by whom? And it sounds like you want to believe that. Its a tiger cub everyone....let it go.

tiger cat

According to these 3 online Chinese English dictionary. The consensus for biao is tiger cat. I don't know or heard anyone ever see one.

input biao as pin yin and see for yourself.

http://www.tigernt.com/cgi-bin/cedict.cgi

http://www.mandarintools.com/

http://www.yellowbridge.com/chinese/...dictionary.php
    Last edited by NGKSMM; 05-20-2008 at 08:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    people can say what they want, but it doesn't change the fact that it is a tiger cub. Most of those posting here have not learned it, and you are having discussions about what you think it is, based on the chinese character?
    Mike, no offense man, but its not a tiger cub because you say it is. You gotta go back to the source to know what the original idea or concept was.

Eric Olsen, your teacher told you and you were suspect?
    I don't believe everything that any one person tells me...no matter who they are. I do my own research and decide for myself. And I've heard two conflicting stories on it. Its a little suspicious considering that the spoken word "Biao" can mean two different things.

Also, consider that there is no stand alone "Tiger-Cub" form but Chan Family has a "Biu" form.

Also, considering Howard Choy's position and proximity to the source I take more stock in his translation.

I don't practice CLF anymore so my interest in this topic is wearing thin but I did a lot of research on CLF forms and theory back in the day. Don't take my word for it (which you won't), try to take a look at any source material and see if the Tiger-Cub theory holds up.

Cheers

EO

Platypus. I know for a fact that the 10th animal is the platypus. Just take my word for it.....
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Nah.. it's a Patagonian Snow Leopard...
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Olson View Post
    Mike, no offense man, but its not a tiger cub because you say it is. You gotta go back to the source to know what the original idea or concept was.

I don't believe everything that any one person tells me...no matter who they are. I do my own research and decide for myself. And I've heard two conflicting stories on it. Its a little suspicious considering that the spoken word "Biao" can mean two different things.

Also, consider that there is no stand alone "Tiger-Cub" form but Chan Family has a "Biu" form.

Also, considering Howard Choy's position and proximity to the source I take more stock in his translation.

I don't practice CLF anymore so my interest in this topic is wearing thin but I did a lot of research on CLF forms and theory back in the day. Don't take my word for it (which you won't), try to take a look at any source material and see if the Tiger-Cub theory holds up.

Cheers

EO
    I am not offended at all eric.

You have not learned the form, maybe if you had, you'd see that the movements are 'cat-like' and not 'deer-like'.

Again, you can all argue about the character and the fact that Chan Family scripts call it a tiger cub, a bunch of other people call it tiger cub, those who learned it call it tiger cub, my teacher and apparently your old teacher and some others have called it tiger cub...blah blah blah.

Howard Choy is a human and therefore it is possible that he had made a mistake, no?

My Sifu died a few years ago at almost 90 years old. He'd been doing CLF since the early 1930's, meaning, he'd been around for quite awhile. He'd become an expert in CLF long before some of today's teachers were ever born. My 'opinion' or me 'saying it is a tiger cub' does not come from me, but information from 'him'. Chan Tai-San said it was a Tiger Cub, I and many others consider him quite a credible source of CLF information. Not to mention that he did teach a few of us the 10 animal form. Most of your are debating this deer/tiger cub thing, but don't know the form. Some of your teachers didn't know the form either. How can you discuss or debate the issue if you never even learned the form/movements? That sounds like someone talking about Gung-Fu while never learning it? A loose comparison, but still, you get the point.

Still, it is what it is, whether you want to debate it or not.
    Last edited by Lama Pai Sifu; 05-21-2008 at 04:53 AM.

Ah kids so young and so naive...

Its obviously the rare and much sought after Bald Beaver.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

You know... you usually have a picture to back up much of what you say.

*hint hint*
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by sanjuro_ronin View Post
    Ah kids so young and so naive...

Its obviously the rare and much sought after Bald Beaver.
    You are confused. That Bald Beaver is Brazilian, not Chinese.

*hint hint*
    You are confused. That Bald Beaver is Brazilian, not Chinese.
    Hmmm.......

xingyi (hsing i) has 12 animals, which include deer.

I think this 10 animal is style specific although it does include some of the architypal animals of chinese martial arts.

there are of course others and even insects on the list of various animal forms expressed in chinese martial arts.

I would imagine that CLF has it's stable and of course it would have to include the big 5 as shown.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post

*hint hint*
    Here is said pic! From 1991 (17) years ago!!!!

Some of you whelps haven't been practicing for that long, this was in my first full-time school. This is probably then end of 91, October or November. I've been doing CLF for over 20 years, so for those of you who haven't even learned the 'Biu', here is what one of the techniques look like.

TIGER CUB of CLF "BIU"

End

Quote Originally Posted by Lama Pai Sifu View Post
    Here is said pic! From 1991 (17) years ago!!!!

Some of you whelps haven't been practicing for that long, this was in my first full-time school. This is probably then end of 91, October or November. I've been doing CLF for over 20 years, so for those of you who haven't even learned the 'Biu', here is what one of the techniques look like.

TIGER CUB of CLF "BIU"

End
    I saw that move done by John Travolta, what are you trying to pull ??