Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Baffling Stickfighting

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    The issue here is is terrain. In an open field, a longer weapon will be a shorter weapon. But in rugged terrain, especially forested like where the Dadaodui battles allegedly took place, a longer weapon might be disadvantageous.

So it's akin to saying that Lei Lei represented Tai Chi/Kung Fu, when he clearly wasn't even skilled enough to know he was outgunned.
    Why would you say this? Thrusting weapons have advantage over cuts in tight spaces. There's a reason bayonets are still a common feature in the military.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Why would you say this? Thrusting weapons have advantage over cuts in tight spaces. There's a reason bayonets are still a common feature in the military.
    They sure are: Name:  CF-Bayonets.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  89.4 KB
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Bayonets are still common in the military because they attach to rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCo KungFu View Post
    Fair point. But you can thrust with dadao. Short beats long in tight spaces. Long beats short in open spaces.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Fair point. But you can thrust with dadao. Short beats long in tight spaces. Long beats short in open spaces.
    Well, like with most things, it depends. You can thrust with a slashing weapon but doing so may put you at a positional disadvantage. If I have say two guys with bayonets/spears defending in a hallway they may be able to defend that confined space just fine by creating a fatal funnel and using reach to their advantage. Space gives someone maneuverability and the chance of getting around the business end of a long weapon. Like I said, it depends.

Funny reading about that time thirteen years ago, it seems like yesterday but those skills have fallen away.
    Last edited by rogue; 05-21-2017 at 03:00 PM.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.