Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harmful side effects of Iron Palm Training.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    A major bonus is i can just shoot lightning at my food to cook it myself.
    Not to mention all the fun at birthday parties, barmitzvahs and swingers clubs !
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

Blog Entries
    I worked as Sifu Lam's Shipping Manager for WLE for a few years. Being in that position you get to field allot of questions. Often I would get a question about VISION LOSS, something to the effect of;

Have you heard of or experienced loss of vision from practicing iron palm in the long term? I read that by using the tiger claw strike in iron palm you overstimulate the meridians connected to the eyes that terminate in the fingertips and thus damage the eyes.

I had to field this question many times back in the 90's. It became comical to me. Because eventually I got disgusted and told the last guy that if he went blind from doing Iron Palm...Then he was most likely doing SOMETHING ELSE with his palm. LOL@@@!!!

But seriously, Sifu's method (Ku Yu Cheung) is more like putting drops in the bucket. It's consitent, steady to make you stronger and not meant to injure you. Only if you abuse yourself or try to cut corners do you pay the price for rushing it.

I had spoken with people who said that thier Piano Playing improved immensely....or a professional rock climber that said that "His hand-holds were really improved from Iron Palm training".

Avoid the 3 "D's" , NEVER:
    -Deform yourself (cripple or handicap)
    -Deaden yourself (as in deaden nerves or feeling)
    or
    -Deface yourself in anyway (aka visibly scar yourself) It's not nesscessary in the modern day.

The body has natural hard points already that do not need to be abused. You just have to train properly and healthy.
    "O"
    http://cykwoon.freewebspace.com/
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Subitai

"O"..."Some people believe that you need to make another human being tap out to be a valid art. But I am constantly reminding them that I only have to defend myself and keep you from hurting me in order to Win."
    "O"..."The Hung Style practiced solely in methods of Antiquity would ultimately only be useful versus Similar skill sets"

Quote Originally Posted by Subitai View Post
    I worked as Sifu Lam's Shipping Manager for WLE for a few years. Being in that position you get to field allot of questions. Often I would get a question about VISION LOSS, something to the effect of;

This is also the danger I've heard of with fingertip conditioning. The prevention, as I was taught, is to simply use jow as you would normally. Without the jow, you risk injuries.

This is my Sith Master.

Last edited by Lucas; 10-03-2012 at 11:48 AM.
    For whoso comes amongst many shall one day find that no one man is by so far the mightiest of all.

There are Chinese recipes for tonics to "brighten the eyes" you can take while doing this type of training as well, just FYI.
    -Golden Arms-

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
    This is my Sith Master.

I bet he wishes he had that kind of power !
    As do we all !!
    BBBWWAAAHHHH !!!!!!!!!
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    fwiw, i did two methods. one early, in my late teens, that was 'hard'. never to a 'deformed' point, but gradually hitting hard and harder objects with more and more force.

the second, later around 30, was supposedly the KYC method. i have a lot of personal observations from this time period but they are most surely entirely subjective and so...

my takeaway in general is that if you have to take all the jow and tonics to prevent the damage from the iron palm training then you probably need to rethink the training.

and, ftr, i'm not going to argue/debate the above statement, have at it if you will. it's just my opinion.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Greetings,

"my takeaway in general is that if you have to take all the jow and tonics to prevent the damage from the iron palm training then you probably need to rethink the training"

BINGO!!!!

mickey

the medicine is used to heal injuries. its not magic juice. if you need to constantly apply it you are doing it wrong

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    the medicine is used to heal injuries. its not magic juice. if you need to constantly apply it you are doing it wrong

The medicine is said to be preventative as well.

So, applying it before a training session would be appropriate.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RD'S Alias - 1A

I have easily beaten every one I have ever fought.....

Quote Originally Posted by IronWeasel View Post
    The medicine is said to be preventative as well.

So, applying it before a training session would be appropriate.
    the medicine doesnt heal nerve damage, but the signs dont show up right away.

with light hitting methods it doesnt even matter whether you put on medicine or not. you put on medicine when you do the accesory exercises with the sandbag or wooden post.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-06-2012 at 06:08 PM.

the medicine doesnt heal nerve damage, but the signs dont show up right away.

with light hitting methods it doesnt even matter whether you put on medicine or not. you put on medicine when you do the accesory exercises with the sandbag or wooden post.

Medicine...every time.
    Quote:

Medicine...every time.
    its not magic juice. and its toxic.

its not magic juice. and its toxic.

It's a tincture, and it's only harmful if ingested.

My instructor has done and seen IP trained WITH and WITHOUT. He says that the medicine is vital.

Two things wil cause you injury (fracture, nerve damage, deformity, blood clot):

1) Striking the target structure too hard

2) Too many strikes per session

The medicine is not magic, but it will help to mitigate any damage and will promote healing.
    Quote:

It's a tincture, and it's only harmful if ingested.

My instructor has done and seen IP trained WITH and WITHOUT. He says that the medicine is vital.
    heavier strikes with constant use of medicine is called fast method. light strikes with less medicine is called slow method. neither one is wrong.

when you hit heavy your bones are damaged every time but it doesnt give pain. thats why you must put on the medicine every time.

in chinese kung fu you "must" drink hard liquor when there is fog or evil spirits will attack you. you have to think with reason.
    Last edited by bawang; 10-06-2012 at 07:04 PM.