Thread: National Geographic: Deadly Arts (Capoeira)

National Geographic: Deadly Arts (Capoeira)

Ozzies check it out!

It's about to start 8:30
    "The Dragon and the Tiger met in Heaven, to revive our Shaolin ways"

How was it? did they show the elbows and take downs, or just the flashy stuff?
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Capoeira is so deadly that it gets the guy trying to use it killed.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

LOLlo lolol

Cap, is really good system at fighting "non-martial artists". its great for difiying and wooing an oponent. however with experince in a martial art and two minutes with a capoeira man, you very quickly pick up all the little tricks and it becomes very easy to read. the kicks do have a good amount of power, but are slow.

Im sure u know, but it was invented by slaves and disguised as a dance. Capoeria has had its place in history, i see it as an interesting art, and never want to see it die out. But its not a practical martial art.
    "Turn your face to the sun, and your shadows will fall behind you."

"While your looking to hit for points, we are breaking legs and taking you by the neck"

"the kicks do have a good amount of power, but are slow."

i love this line.

Originally posted by manofkent
    Cap, is really good system at fighting "non-martial artists". its great for difiying and wooing an oponent. however with experince in a martial art and two minutes with a capoeira man, you very quickly pick up all the little tricks and it becomes very easy to read. the kicks do have a good amount of power, but are slow.

Im sure u know, but it was invented by slaves and disguised as a dance. Capoeria has had its place in history, i see it as an interesting art, and never want to see it die out. But its not a practical martial art.
    you sound like you have zero experience with real capoeira, or capoeira at all, for that matter...
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Well i capoeira at a spanish club for 2months.
    when i got there, i couldnt get a hit in.

but after 2 months, i was beating the advanced students.
    maybe it was just a crap club then. didnt mean to insult anyone, sorry if ive offended anyone. i just felt that it is not practical as a modern day system.

"While your looking to hit for points, we are breaking legs and taking you by the neck"

it's an internet forum dude - nothing is offensive. But I know some good capo guys - it's full of elbows and takedowns, not just the kicks everyone sees on TV...

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Thats cool.
    The club in spain it was more like Boxing with kicks and dancing. There only real attack was trying to misslead and missdirect an opponent before swinging in a jab, hook, cross or kick. they all tended to distance them selfes from there opt.

If this is not true capo, does anyone know where i can go to have a reel look. in south east england, or on the net?

I think the distinction need be made between "real" and "well applied". Well applied cap does not disconnect from the opponent as much as poorly applied cap. However, real cap can get used to get your butt kicked if it is not well applied. Or it can be used effectively.

Sorry, don't know any good schools by you. A former friend of mine is a pretty good cap fighter, and what I saw of him doing it, he didn't disconnect from his opponent til he was done.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

what's the story with "angola" style being more tactical than the "new style".

not sure if that was talked about on the show mentioned, i haven't seen it, not being in oz. likely it will be on here at sometime if its a natgeo production.

But i heard of a guy who knows a guy who once heard voices in his head that he thought was god talking through his dog and these voices told him that "angola" style capo goes back to when slaves were brought to south america and it is how they worked it without massa knowing it was anything more than folk dance.

the new style has more of the janga and less of the banga, but the old style is opposite with the dance portion being treated with much more brevity and the actual nuts and bolts showing themsleves more in it's practice.

anyone else heard this?

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.