Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: stance training

stance training

hello,

I was wondering what is the best way to improve basic stances. I train in CLF so basic stances for me would be say-ping ma, dew ma, tau/gwai ma, hun ma & deen ma.

I'm wanting to train so that i can hold my stances for longer and lower. So what would be the most effective way to achieve this?

Front Squat
    Overhead Squat
    Back Squat

Deep

Hello, me too??

I have been doing alot of work on the legs.
    Squats like he said, also running and leg curls
    The knees will feel it the lower you go!!

Keep in touch!

Originally posted by fa_jing
    Front Squat
    Overhead Squat
    Back Squat

Deep
    Not really. Those exercises develop strength through the ROM, but won't do much to increase the endurance required to hold stances.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Not to imply that you were saying that weights wouldn't help Iron, but...

He did say "lower" and increasing the strength through the whole range of motion may allow him to go down further.

Plus, if you're legs are stronger, wouldn't that mean that your bodyweight was a lower percentage of your 1RM and therefor easier to hold?

I've known people who did a lot of a$$ to the ground stances and could nail a perfectly thighs-parallel horse first time, no problem.

I've also known folks who were kung fu people first and improved their stances (depth & relative ease- which helped endurance) by adding freeweighted squats.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

doing deep squats and such may help with the flexibility, but stance work is typically held for a long time. doing ROM exercises won't really increase endurance at that specific angle of knee bend, which is what stances generally work.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

Yah I'm talking more of percieved effort rather than endurance.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

Simply said, the best way to get stronger in stance work is to practice your stances more.

Either way I think it would be good advice to do all of the above, because it all helps....

Moving from low stance to low stance well in a form is a function of all of that plus good flexibility.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Have you all seen this routine? I've played around with it a bit, and like the idea.
    Last edited by abobo; 02-11-2004 at 04:49 PM.

hey abobo the stances in that pdf are exactly the same as CLF's basic stances

What do people think about combing weight and stance work together. Say for example the same routine as in the pdf which abobo posted except you also rest a barbell across the back of your shoulders.

Also what amount of time do you peeps think is good to hold a stance before making the transition to the next stance?

Fa_jing can you explain those exercises you mentioned as i'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to exercise. I know of the normal squat but that's about it

AndyC, the best way to better your stances is to do them a lot. It's the only thing that will make them better. Squats will carry over to things like kicks and mobility, as will participation in any sport, but there's a reason squats aren't on most or any traditional martial arts curriculums.
    If you are getting bored in your stances you can mix them up, work on transitions, make up transitions, and so forth.
    Practice punches, kicks, etc, in the stances and they will improve.
    Good Luck
    A unique snowflake

AndyC, the normal squat is the back squat. Front squat is with the bar across your upper chest, sorta like the end of the clean in the Olympic lift clean and jerk. You would've seen that on TV, where they sort of pause with the bar in front across their chest and the arms supporting it. Overhead squat is with the bar vertically above your head with your arms straight holding it up, sorta like a combination military press and squat.

Go running and then do stance training afterwards. Thats what I do when I don't want to hold a horse stance forever. It seems to have similar effects for me, as it is building leg muscles.
    "Don't Focus on the Fingers or You will miss all the Heavenly Glory!"

Morbicid-"Maybe some moves are made just so that, if u somehow manage to pull them off in a fight, u get some serious bragging rights.

Many famous fighters have done this (roy jones jr, chuck norris, Morbicid, etc)"

I missed the pdf because apparently some jerk off has loosed a virus clinging itself to attatchments and I'm kinda scared to open anything...but the bar sounds good

was doing a crazy deep mabu today and came low out of parallel but felt it hard core in magnus abductor..so held it , gripped feet/toes, pushed thighs outward, went for an isometric and feeling pretty good...what do you think...could sound like cheating, but I liked it
    Last edited by blooming lotus; 02-12-2004 at 01:06 AM.