Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ip chun certified instructors

ip chun certified instructors

hi.
    how come the www.ipchun.org website lists only one sifu in america as a certified instructor of ip chun wing chun? Yip Pui Terence?? its strand as it is that the UK has 3 - Michael Tse, Shaun Rawcliffe and Colin Ward.

any thoughts?
    Ecce nunc patiemur philosphantem nobis asinum?

what transcends the buddha and the law? Cakes.

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

maybe only one sifu wanted to pay for the certificate.
    If you have real skill, everything is dangerous.

* remember all serious practictioners are life long students

Kim sut, Lok ma, Ting yu, Dung tao, Mai Jiang

I thought sifu Samuel Kwok (UK) was a Ip Chun student as well.

Ip Ching has been teaching since the mid-90's, but he's the one with all the U.S. affiliations. Ip Chun has been teaching since the late '60s/early '70s, but does indeed only have the one sifu (Yip Pui) here in the U.S.. How's that for irony?

Ever notice how different the forms are between the brothers?

atleast..
    true, maybe. but is this your opinion of the reason or just a possibility? i dont know if you have to pay dollars for that cert, maybe just discipline, do you know?

jafo..
    sam kwok is just ip ching as far as i know. maybe stuartm or someone can correct me if not..

so what is ip chings website? does he have a similiar page of certified worldwide instructors - sam being the main man in the UK? why do you think that there are fewer cert. ip chun instructors? higher standards or just more closed minded perhaps?

i'm shocked to have had 140 views and 2 replies.

can i ask another question - since so few people seem to have a lineage through ip chun, what do those who dont have him as a sigong think of him? (like do u rate his wing chun etc?)

"Practice is better than Art, because your practice will suffice without art, while the art means nothing without practice." - Hanko Doebringer, 14th century

Can anyone describe some of the differences of Chun's wing chun and Chings?

Better yet, anyone got 2 videos of both of them doing a form?

Sam was Yip Chun senior student for many many years until a few years ago. Sam was in hong kong and spending to much time training with Yip Ching. Yip Chun through a hissy fit and threw Sam out of his organization and deleted all mention of Sam.

Colin and Shawn met Yip Chun through Sam.

Vids wont tell you much. Yip Chun teaches plain vanilla forms. Yip Chings forms have much more energy and body usage demonstrated. Content is the same other than order in Bil Fee and a couple of sections Yip Ching changed.

As for skill many say Yip Chings WC is combat Wc while Yip Chuns is only good for Chi Sao and games. Then again Duncan Leung likes Yip Chuns WC and thinks Yip Chings is bad. All depends on the eyes and standards you use to judge.

Originally posted by Brithlor
    Can anyone describe some of the differences of Chun's wing chun and Chings?

Better yet, anyone got 2 videos of both of them doing a form?
    Some of Steve Lee Swift's videos have Ip Ching and Ip Chun performing some demonstrations. You can check his website to see what's currently available. You might also contact Swift directly (by mail or by phone) to inquire if he has any additional material to offer which has not been publicly advertised.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

I like Steve Lee Swift...He does his own sound effects!...

Originally posted by old jong
    I like Steve Lee Swift...He does his own sound effects!...
    Ha ha. Sometimes, I too found myself making sound effects when I used to train in his class - fun.

Regards,
    - kj

Didn't Ip Ching do a Biu Jee demonstration on the VTAA conference VCD?

oh look, again we love to judge better and worse...
    if you studied karate for 100 years with mindful awareness it would be better than any wing chun... its just a different part of the elephant, when you have done wing chun for 30 years plus, it doesnt matter who you studied with, it just matters where you are NOW. i have every respect for every one who has put in the time in any lineage or system,

all i'm interested in is the lack of ip chun cert instructors. it doesnt matter what you think of ip chuns wing chun, but why you think he doesnt have so many cert instructors - with reference to the hissy fit, would you say that ip chun has a reputation for being flippant and hot tempered? that could explain alot.

what is ip chings official website?

Beware of Swift Videos

Anyone thinking of buying videos from Sifu Swift?

-I bought two of them last year, and was dissapointed. One of them was featuring GM Ip Chun and listed on Sifu Swift's webpage as a two hour tape, and the other, featuring GM Ip Ching, was listed on the webpage as a one hour tape. Each was priced at $50. (Sounds fair, right?)

The first thing I was shocked by, is when I ordered them, I was charged $19 shipping and handling for two VHS tapes. (I can't imagine how that is justified). Then, when I recieved them, found the "two hour" tape to be 45 minutes long (and filled with needless repetition to stretch time, at that), and the "one hour" tape to be only 30 minutes long.

Especially considering the high price of his videos, I regret my purchase from Sifu Swift.

Master Yip Pui (Terence Yip) has some videos of GM Ip Chun available on his webpage which I may buy in the future:

http://www.yipwingchun.com/videos.html

(I just thought anyone thinking about spending their hard-earned dollars might appreciate knowing about this.)

-Lawrence
    Last edited by lawrenceofidaho; 02-15-2004 at 11:33 PM.
    I don't think Wing Chun is so limited that I can't do it when I wrestle, box, kickbox, or fight by MMA rules, nor am I so limited a student that I can't improve by training in each of those forums. -Andrew S

A good instructor encourages his students to question things, think for themselves and determine their own solutions to problems. They give advice, rather than acting as a vehicle for the transmission of dogma.
    -Andrew Nerlich

Censored wrote:
    Didn't Ip Ching do a Biu Jee demonstration on the VTAA conference VCD?

---Yes.

foolinthedeck wrote:

what is ip chings official website?

----http://www.wckfc.com/
    Seek knowledge by questioning widely; set aside aversion and reluctance.
    What loss is there in dignity, what worry is there of failure?
    If your will is not strong, if your thought does not oppose injustice,
    you will fritter away your life stuck in the commonplace.
    Silently submitting to the bonds of emotion, forever cowing before mediocrities, never escaping the downward flow.
    - Zhuge Liang

chris

Actually, that is Sifu Ron Heimberger's website, Ip Ching's is http://www.ip-ching.com/ .
    John Widener

'Understand your limits, but never limit your understanding'.

" I may disapprove of what you say,
    but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
    Voltaire

www.wing-chun.us