Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Calling all Shaolin Americans

Songshan, BSL and Shaolin-do

Well I broached Shaolin-do to be somewhat incendiary, since that's always a hot topic around here. I was at a Shaolin-Do demo at the Shaolin Temple Wushuguan, so I got a chance to get a first hand reaction from the warrior monks themselves. To them, it can all be considered Shaolin, since Shaolin is everyone's granddad, so to speak. And Buddhism has strict tenets on being non-possessive of the teachings. So this does bring up another big grey zone with Shaolin - where do you draw the line? FWIW, there are Shaolin lineages that are not from Songshan, BSL or Shaolin-do. And of course, there's the Shorinji stuff. Plus the five major southern styles draw there roots to Shaolin. So it's pretty mixed up.

As for this upcoming tournament in NJ, it's my understanding that only Songshan lineages will be showcased, but I do not know for sure yet. It sounds like it'll be more like a traditional tournament at Shaolin. My other big question is, will there be sparring? There usually is at Shaolin. In any case, it's exciting for all the Shaolin lineages. And I personally hope some Shaolin-do people show up.

As for judges, that's a very good question too. Probably the monks will judge. I've been asked to judge, and I usually balk at such a request, since I really don't care to judge at all. Who am I to judge? But I was asked by Lipeng personally, and I understand why. I know the forms and am non-partisan, or at least less baised than monks who might have students there competing. So I will honor his request, if need be. And if I do, please, please, put the Shaolin-do guys in my ring.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

there will be no sparring..only some defence techniques drills...

I think...

This is an interesting thread

So where does the Yin and the Yang end? Or does it ever end? No matter how or in what way you ask the question "What is considered Shaolin Kung Fu?" it seems they all run in an endless circle. What is traditional Shaolin? What is modern Shaolin? Which art can call themselves Shaolin? What is considered Shaolin, what's not? I think these discussions are kicked around all the time because of course we know the Shaolin Temple history wasn't stable and I think these are the consequences of that. Everything is kind of scattered out.

Gene- I read the 3 articles. They were great. As a person who is only now embarking on the path of learning Shaolin Gongfu (and, perhaps, coincidentally Buddhism), I thank you. I look forward to the opportunity more through you by way of your articles and, hopefully, meeting you in July.

Amitofuo...to all of you sharing your knowledge, experiences and opinions on this forum.

Gene- I read the 3 articles. They were great. As a person who is only now embarking on the path of learning Shaolin Gongfu (and, perhaps, coincidentally Buddhism), I thank you. I look forward to the opportunity more through you by way of your articles and, hopefully, meeting you in July.

Amitofuo...to all of you sharing your knowledge, experiences and opinions on this forum.

oh gene i want to compete so bad

there's always the Zhengzhou Shaolin wushu festival on ....when was that date Gene??lol....

First World Traditional Wushu (Kung Fu) Championships

My understanding is that they will hold the Shaolin Festival this year in tandem with the First World Traditional Wushu (Kung Fu) Championships to be held in Zhengzhou (see 9-22-04 ). The WTW(KF)C is a new event, being hosted by the IWuF. It is an international event, but like the World Wushu Games does for Wushu and sanshou, each country must qualify a team. It is not an open. That will be very interesting, since it is supposed to be all traditional, not modern wushu. Apparently the Shaolin festival, which was cancelled last year due to SARS, will be held at more or less the same time.

Now, for those of you who have never been to a Shaolin Festival (nor read any of my articles on the festivals), these are incredibly crazy events. It is not centrally organized so there are different tournaments and happenings going on more or less simultaneuosly all over - at Shaolin Temple, in nearby Dengfeng and in Zhengzhou (about an hour or two away by car). In the past, there have been major shows that have taked up the huge Zhengzhou stadium, tournaments that were open to anyone and any style (but mostly foreigners competed), tournaments that were just local, just for sanda, just for wushu, or just for traditional, smaller shows in places like the wushuguan, special clebrations in the temple, and just general craziness with monks, disciples and students returning from all over the world. Add the WTW(KF)C and it'll be even crazier.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Wow, that sounds awsome, that'd be something that I might try to time into my trip.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

man I just read those e-zine articles. very interesting. guess I do bak sil lum not songshan. i still love it
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Gene, you've done the zhengzhou shaolin festivals before...can we expect many of the US monks to turn up?

maybe, hard to say...

Yanming and Guolin have been there, but I doubt that Yanming would go back after some previous incidents. Who knows? I don't think Xinghao has been back. Deshan went back once, was it last year? I don't know about the others. Most Chinese immigrants choose to stay in the US once they get here, especially if they are on visas.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Rule change for the competition...

"Rule Change (Please be advised) Competition is open to any and all who study Shaolin. Have a nice weekend."

That was just sent to me in an e-mail from Lipeng Zhang.

Maybe we can get a confirmation from Gene?
    Last edited by KWUsCRD; 02-22-2004 at 11:04 AM.

Gene, I have just had another look over your posts regarding talks with Dr.Shahar....you're right...this information is a buzz....Dr.sharhar is from the tel aviv university right??.....for the sake of research perspective ..can you tell us what branch of qualification he has? It may be in the articles but blah blah blah virus...drama...???

cheers

Originally posted by KWUsCRD
    Rule change for the competition...

"Rule Change (Please be advised) Competition is open to any and all who study Shaolin. Have a nice weekend."

That was just sent to me in an e-mail from Lipeng Zhang.

Maybe we can get a confirmation from Gene?

hmmm now I am waiting for something
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.