Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Southern Mantis versus Hung Gar

Southern Mantis versus Hung Gar

I recently heard a story that Grandmaster Lam Sang(southern mantis) challenged Lam Sai Wing(hung gar) and won. The story goes that Lam Sang, in his prime, challenged Lam Sai Wing, who was an old man, and beat the hell out of him.

Years later, Lam Sang regretted doing this. Anyone know more?
    A penny saved is... not much.

did lam sang give a date and place this happened?

The stories that i've heard about Lum sang's mantis / fighting that it wasn't up to much, what i've been told by the Hakka elders in the Hakka arts. i know this is going cause a up roar in the Jook lum in the States but when are these guys goinigng to realise that their version is nothing more than a mish mash of stuff with mantis bits thrown in for good measure. If you want learn real mantis ,try going back to S.E. Asia, U.k. & Down Under.

Cheers

lemme get this straight, the same lam sang who beat up bruce lee also beat up lam sai wing?

wow, is it possible that lam sang is some kinda immortal?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Dibs on the ears!

Yes Grand Master Lam Sang was all those things and more. When he was alive no one questioned his ability (mainland, Hong Kong, USA) Lam Sifu's Kwong Sai Jook Lum Gee Tong Long Pai is different and unique from the rest because he was the inheritor Jong Fa and only one to learn the Dim Mak 108 and Hei gung. Let them all talk because hands will tell and there are some who have the lineage art that are not known.

sheesh

Is it ever possible for any of you to read the origional post before answering? That might be a good idea. I was inquiring about the ONE fight between the two masters...not whether he beat up Bruce Lee or whether he's immortal.

Heard the story.

I have heard that story in the past. Lam Sang was supposed to be around 18 or 19 years old and Lam Sai Wing was in his 70s. This was reported in an old issue of inside kung fu magazine. Lam Sang was said to feel bad about this fight. It is said that he felt as though he took advantage of an old man. Lam Sai Wing supposed to have stop accepting challenges after this incident. If this story is true, it shows that Lam Sai Wing, dispite his advanced age was willing to take on anyone. Props goes to Lam Sai Wing.

Peace

Jerry Battle.
    The Southern Fist Subdues The Fierce Mountain Tiger

Speaking of fighting anyone at an advanced age Grand Master Lam Sang was challenged by a Choy Lay Fut master half his age (Lam Sifu was in his 70's). The argument ended up outside the Hip Sing in Chinatown. The CLF Master attacked Lam Sifu who countered with a soft touch on the CLF Masters chest. The CLF Master ended up convulsing on the floor. They called for an ambulance and Lam Sifu never spoke about it again. The story was told by on by eye witnesses.

Originally posted by Sam
    Speaking of fighting anyone at an advanced age Grand Master Lam Sang was challenged by a Choy Lay Fut master half his age (Lam Sifu was in his 70's). The argument ended up outside the Hip Sing in Chinatown. The CLF Master attacked Lam Sifu who countered with a soft touch on the CLF Masters chest. The CLF Master ended up convulsing on the floor. They called for an ambulance and Lam Sifu never spoke about it again. The story was told by on by eye witnesses.
    Wow, sounds cool. Any of his students or students of any of subsequent generations been able to publically replicate this amazing ability? Mike

There is only one that I know of and he won't even speak of it.

I think I know who Sam is referring to

They say that Gin Foon Mark's hands are better than Lam's.

Ho Dunn was better than Mark Foon and neither of them were even close to Grand Master Lam Sang in his prime or old.

Sam

I've heard differently. I heard that NYC Chinatown will never see a better fighter than Gin Foon Mark...that Gin Foon Mark's shock power surpassed even the old man's.

HO Dun Chin passed away...so we even if his hand was better than Mark's...it's not anymore.

Oh jeez...

Too bad Lam Sang's inheritor who can down people with a single soft touch, won't replicate it against Wandelei Silva, Rickson Gracie, Sakuraba...

Those fools who beat each other using external strength would finally realize how powerful the "real " chinese martial arts are.

Not to mention the finacial gains along with having hundreds of students knocking on your door. He could finally raise the system of southern mantis to #1 in the world, where it belongs.

It's ashame he would rather sit behind "closed doors" in some basement in chinatown NYC, sipping tea, on the threshold of poverty, telling tales of yester years to a handful of students who listen without question,....

Just to keep the system's "integrity" true.