Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the BEST MA for fitness

xebby is no more, his creator dwells elsewhere

Exclamation the BEST MA for fitness

So, wich you think is the best martial art for fitness-looks?

I think its boxing, what ya think?
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

boxing itself isn't the best. boxers are just typically known to train a lot harder than most. has to do with being in shape for competition. if everyone trained as hard as a skilled amateur boxer, everyone would be in good shape.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA

cardio-kickboxing, you silly goose.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

sounds good to me

I'd gotta agree with boxing. You don't train lightly whether you are competing or not. Everybody in the gym is jumping rope, doing pushups/pull-ups/rope climbing/sit-ups, hittin bags, working the mitts in the ring, etc.

I'd gotta agree with boxing. You don't train lightly whether you are competing or not.
    that would be true of anyplace that competitivness is a main goal... judo... muy Thai... San Da... Boxing(ofcourse)... knockdown...etc...
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

Dunno, Sun Tzu. I've trained at competitive Judo dojo's (and competed), Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu acedemies (and competed), and Muay Thai schools (never competed or even sparred). The training was never as hard as when I boxed. I even showed up at BJJ competition class hung over a couple times because it was saturday mornings, and although I was in rough shape I handled the work. I would have been vomitting up my toenails in boxing. Just my experience.

interesting....... never did any ju-jitsu stuff.... judo IS (for me) a whole 'nother level of he|| and i'm in pretty good shape.... also gotta consider that everybody else has on average 10-20 (and a couple of 200lbs guys) lbs on me... the very few place i've trained mT... were intense for the most part.... and with us... we train boxers and san da together... so *shrug*.......
    "pain is not my enemy; it is my call to greatness. " - Henry Rollins

Baltimore San Shou

WWW.NLPF.NET

“The only undefeated fighters are those who do not compete.” – Coach Sonnon, MMA.tv

I hear ya. My competitive boxing weight was 142 and my judo/bjj weight was 155. I was string bean at 6'...

Remember tho that all you guys are generalizing. I'm sure there are some Jujitsu schools that train harder than some boxing schools, etc.

lol @ show up hung over
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

True enough. I trained at 2 JJ schools and 3 Judo gyms though. One of the gym's was owned by and another frequented by Olympian Jimmy Pedro, so you could say they were up there as far as competition training.

I always regretted showing up hung over. Especially in summer because there was no AC, so you're wrestling with guys in 90 degree heat, in a heavy kimono while your still half ****faced/half sick. bleh!

Tae-Bo.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

..............what for fitness or a recommendation ?

I've gotta agree with the boys here though, when I box, Im never not working hard, inlcuding comparing to time at fight club (mixture of aikido, wrestling, some other jitsu and sum??)....but when I put kickboxing bag training in on top, against running, other forms, floor workouts etc..it's hands down...but then again I do alot of pilates, skipping and aerobics...

still calling the sweaty boxing/kickboxing workout

Yo Ford...142 at 6'...well I'll be f****d..and I thought I was tiny. I don't know about this whole weight and grappling issue though..sounds logical, but in the fightclub in aikdo and wrestling training I was obviously the smallest and a newbie against these huge chicks and never came out under. I think they were scared to be honest, so technique, application and reflex thinking is from my experience, alot more valuable to the winner.....and I was a newbie against yrs of experience...why is that do you think?

Originally posted by Ford Prefect
    I hear ya. My competitive boxing weight was 142 and my judo/bjj weight was 155. I was string bean at 6'...
    Heh... back when I ran track in high school, I was 143 lbs and 6'4".
    "hey pal, you wanna do the dance of destruction with the belle of the ball, just say the word." -apoweyn

and you thought sensei called you grasshoppa as a figure of speech.
    " i wonder how many people take their post bone marrow transplant antibiotics with amberbock" -- GDA