Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does anyone take notes at class?

Cool take notes!!

Well, hell yeah!! I always take notes!!! I always pay attention to my sifu and when I hear something that I need to remember I"ll take a note of it!! Also I keep note of mt training I feel that I can keep a record of my training to see how I am growing...
    So notes are good....
    Jeffrey Williams Red Tornado

Originally posted by apoweyn
    The danger of being an avid note taker (though it's not inevitable) is that you fall too deeply in love with the lists. "I have a list of six hubud drills!" But then you have to figure out whether hubud in general or the various drills specifically are useful to you.
    Yes, I could see that happening to me. I mostly take notes for grappling things because I suck at grappling and I forget the stuff after like a week.

What is "hubud?"
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

hubud is like taiji push hands I believe.

Gangsterfist is right. Hubud is a sensitivity/flow drill in the filipino arts. Similar to push hands in taiji or chisao in wing chun.

You can see some examples of it at the bottom of this page:

http://www.andy-guettner.de/ani03.html
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

I never take notes. If you go to class and/or practice consistently, I don't think you need them because you are reinforcing the training through practice. I hardly took notes in college, either, though, so it's probably just something that works for me.

I keep a file of terminology. Mostly Chinese-to-English translations.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I don't take notes either, for mostly reasons that MK said. I am forced to remember some of the beginners stuff when I have to teach and help the beg.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by apoweyn
    Gangsterfist is right. Hubud is a sensitivity/flow drill in the filipino arts. Similar to push hands in taiji or chisao in wing chun.

You can see some examples of it at the bottom of this page:

http://www.andy-guettner.de/ani03.html
    Cool, thanks for the link.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

No worries Ironfist.
    When you assume, you make an ass out of... pretty much just you, really.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    I never take notes. If you go to class and/or practice consistently, I don't think you need them because you are reinforcing the training through practice. I hardly took notes in college, either, though, so it's probably just something that works for me.

I keep a file of terminology. Mostly Chinese-to-English translations.
    depends... I know how to arm bar. However, I've also learned 23450 combinations and setups for it. We don't train every one of those every class, however, we will train the armbar itself. Like anything else, I know the ones that I use on a regular basis, but there are several that I don't use and several more that I've forgotten. for that reason, I like to write stuff down on occasion.

As a side note, I started this exact same thread a few months ago.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

As a side note, I started this exact same thread a few months ago.
    We know, but your threads just seem so boring
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I take notes. I try to draw pictures next to certain stances and try to write the chinese name for the stance and then the english one as well. Basically what most here do as well.

Originally posted by SevenStar
    depends... I know how to arm bar. However, I've also learned 23450 combinations and setups for it. We don't train every one of those every class, however, we will train the armbar itself. Like anything else, I know the ones that I use on a regular basis, but there are several that I don't use and several more that I've forgotten.
    Isn't that the MMA equivalent of forms collecting?
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Not only do I take notes, but we are required to. My Sifu gives you a workbook, which is like a printed notebook binder with hand-outs and sheets with the curriculum printed on it. The theory is that each student is basically on an "Instructor's Training Program" whether they teach at our school, or one day have one of their own, or they teach their children and it becomes their family art, they will pass it down completely and intact.
    "There are two types of people in this world-those who do Kung-Fu, and those who think they do."