Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Le Parkour

Quote Originally Posted by splinter
    I don't know the phonetic alphabet, but I'll try to explain...
    "Le" (not sure if I have to explain this, but) the 'e' is similar to the 'u' in "turn"
    "Par" - the 'a' is pronounced like it is in "Pal" or the first 'a' in "California"
    "Cour" - like "tour".

And roll the r's.
    Mostly right. R's aren't rolled in French though... you're thinking Spanish. R's are more of a hucking a lungy sound.

Hey Seven how about posting a link to that site with the Techs. you were talking about?
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

They have some excellent articles on that site also.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by Ford Prefect
    Mostly right. R's aren't rolled in French though... you're thinking Spanish. R's are more of a hucking a lungy sound.
    You're right. I wasn't really sure how to describe it without giving the impression that it had that german throaty type of sound.

Thanks for the links seven, It looks real good so far.

Maybe some one with a mike could make a simple audio recording of them selves saying "Le parkour" and post it for us? That should clear things up pretty well.
    - 三和拳

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

What does it mean anyway? Does it translate at all, to like "street ninja coolness" or some thing? And you thought the only good thing to come out of France were Canadians.

By the way, I say it like

Lu as in Lure

Par as golf

Kour as in Quarry

is that even close to right?

the only thing i ever learned to say in french is "my name is"
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Quote Originally Posted by SanHeChuan
    What does it mean anyway? Does it translate at all, to like "street ninja coolness" or some thing?
    Close. From the urban freeflow site:

"In fact, the term ‘Parkour’ is perhaps indirectly attributable to Raymond Belle, who introduced his son to the military training methods of Georges Hebert, a man who had a powerful influence on the development of physical education in France, particularly in military circles, by creating the parcours du combattant; the obstacle course. From parcours, meaning ‘course’, came the altered Parkour, for which David acknowledges his friend Hubert Kounde as having coined.

The senior Belle had trained using Hebert's methode naturelle whilst in the French military. Hebert’s methods were inspired by the natural, physical conditioning of indigenous peoples from Africa in particular, and this is still noticeable in the practise of modern parkour; many practitioners talk of the importance of freeing one’s natural instincts, of stripping away conditioning and returning to an innate, effortless way of moving that utilises the entire body as a whole rather than consciously employing isolated muscle groups. The elusive ‘flow state’."

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Aren't French Rs like non-Bavarian German Rs? Bavarians roll their Rs but outside of there it's like a gutteral R.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

How much would it suck to mess up this jump and rack yourself on the way down

here is a link to a vid. where they say parkour

http://kousinetu.machibbs.net/log/log1480.htm

its kour and in coors light
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

^ I saw a bunch of link at that site. Which one was the video to which you were referring?

sorry it was this one

186 名前: sh 投稿日: 2004/10/20(水) 16:39:20 IDUccF.Vk [ ntiskw010080.iskw.nt.adsl.ppp.infoweb.ne.jp ]

PARKOURかYAMAKASI知ってる?

http://www.le-parkour.com/parkour.vd.wmv
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    Le Parkour is definately going to be a household word by this summer. I expect we will soon be seeing it on VH1 and MTV and probably a Pepsi commercial soon.
    It's funny, already it has split into two camps-Urbanfreerunners and Le Parkour purists, who are already saying that the other guys have *******ized it by making it too much gymnastic-based. Already there are the Traditionalists vs the Mixed schools. Sound familiar?