Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: Le Parkour

POV Full Run - WORLD'S LARGEST PARKOUR COURSE (China Skyladder Comp)

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jason Paul goes Back in Time

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Well that sucks

I've always thought 'parkour' gyms were sort of antithetical to the art. It's like teaching 'street fighting' formally at a school.

21 children injured after platform collapses at San Diego parkour gym for kids
    Cleve R. Wootson Jr., The Washington Post Published 1:51 pm, Sunday, November 12, 2017

21 children and 2 adults were injured after a structure collapsed at a parkour center in San Diego
    Media: People

San Diego's Vault PK is usually packed with bouncing and flipping children on Saturday evenings, when it hosts a "kids' night out" for budding athletes ages 5 to 14.
    This past weekend was especially packed, parents said, as people cashed in a Groupon that got three kids into the parkour facility's open gym for just $30. The three-hour event is supervised by Vault PK staff members, so it doubles as a parents' night out too.
    Some of the nearly 150 children present played on the America Ninja Warrior-styled obstacle course, but roughly a third had gathered on a 10-feet-by-30-feet wooden viewing platform, parent Cory Brizendine told San Diego ABC-affiliate KGTV. That's where the pizza was being served.
    "Once the majority of kids got up there, the whole platform collapsed," he said.
    The crumbling structure took a connected staircase with it, authorities and witnesses told reporters. Wood and little bodies tumbled to the ground - on top of children playing below - forming a heap of injured kids and gym equipment.
    "It was business as usual until we heard a loud boom come from the gym, at which point our staff and some customers ran over to the gym to help any way we could," a spokesperson for Total Combat Paintball posted on Facebook. The business shares a building with the parkour facility and a cross-fit gym.
    Zachary Smith, who was at Vault PK with his son for a birthday party, told the Los Angeles Times he was standing on the platform along with more than 30 others. Smith fell onto a young girl but neither were seriously injured, he said. Smith's son was also on the platform at the time but suffered only minor scrapes.
    "It was a freak accident," Smith told the newspaper. He said it didn't appear the platform could hold so much weight.
    No one answered the gym phone on Sunday afternoon. A recording said classes and birthday parties were "closed until further notice."
    In all, 21 children and two adults, ages 72 and 46, were rushed to San Diego-area hospitals with moderate or minor injures, said San Diego Fire-Rescue Deputy Chief Steve Wright. At least three had spinal injuries.
    Alerted to the collapse, parents who'd dropped off their children rushed back and found a street full of ambulances and firetrucks.
    "It is a very serious night for parents," Wright said. "They had to wait to get in to see if their children were affected or not."
    Vault PK, which also has a facility in Torrance, California, has been open since 2014. It was started by a former gymnast who saw a market for a gymnastics-centered facility that appeals to boys and girls.
    Vault PK's classes, which start with preschoolers, include safety training. The challenges increase as students become more comfortable with their bodies moving over obstacles.
    A promotional video shows people of all ages vaulting over obstacles, tumbling and flipping through the air as upbeat music plays.
    "Train like your favorite super hero or ninja warrior!" says a description of the school's mini PK class. "Learn how to run super fast, leap tall buildings, climb walls, vault over obstacles like your favorite ninjas!"
    Kids night out is a bit different. It invites children to "Ditch your parents and come run, jump, and play on our warped walls, trampolines, bars, and obstacle courses."
    It's $17 for members, $22 for non members, according to the facility's website. It's supervised by parkour coaches, but there's no instruction. Pizza is included.
    Before Saturday, the gym had gotten great reviews.
    "This place is fantastic for kids who are into lots of body movement, skater like moves, gymnastics and moving! It gives the kids all those opportunities but in a totally safe, controlled environment," one parent wrote in a testimonial on the facility's website. "Havent had a chance to do Kids night out yet, but i'm looking forward to it!"
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

fall prevention?

I thought the object was not to fall.

There's an embedded vid.

How the daredevil sport of parkour can help aging adults fall better

By Lauren Lee, CNN

Updated 6:40 AM ET, Fri February 22, 2019

Play Video
    What the sport of parkour can teach you about falling 01:20

(CNN)It looks like something out of a ninja movie. The extreme sport known as parkour involves vaulting high obstacles, leaping from rooftop to rooftop and literally bouncing off the walls.
    It's all about moving through an environment quickly, jumping, crawling and climbing over obstacles. Parkour, also called "freerunning," is not for the faint of heart. But, with a few modifications, it might be just the thing for older people at risk of falling.
    The basics of parkour entail balance and knowing how to safely break a fall. "A lot of what we are first working on is balance," said Austin Gall, who teaches a parkour class for beginners at Aerial Warehouse in Culver City, California. "Just being able to balance along a rail without falling off or just simple things like footwork and jumping really low small distances."
    According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, falls are the leading cause of injury-related deaths in the United States for adults over 65. What's more, a non-fatal fall can have a tremendous impact on quality of life.
    "Older adults who do fall sometimes experience an injury," said Kathy Cameron, director of the National Fall Prevention Resource Center. "About 20% of those who fall have an injury like traumatic brain injury or a hip fracture or other broken bones."
    But it's not just the bodily injuries that make falling so harmful. The simple fear of falling makes some older people eschew physical activity. And that, ironically, can lead to greater falling risks.
    "Physical activity is one of the prime ways that we can prevent falls," Cameron said. "Exercise programs that improve balance and strengthen muscles are going to enhance our gait so that we can walk better and have better balance."
    In addition to focusing on balance, Gall said, there is one particular move that can be particularly helpful to someone prone to falls.
    "I think the most important thing is being able to drop down into a roll to break your fall," he said.
    A parkour roll is like a martial arts tumble. As the person hits the ground, they roll from one shoulder to the opposite hip. This sort of roll, correctly done, minimizes a fall's full force by distributing the impact across the body.
    With the help of an experienced parkour instructor, aging adults can learn not only to recover from falls but to avoid injury. "I'm excited to see how parkour is going to evolve over the next few years as it's adapted for older adults," Cameron said.
    "I think there are components of it that are really important for reducing fall risks."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Silke Sollfrank

There's a vid behind the link.

Silke Sollfrank: The former gymnast who says parkour 'slapped her in the face' and gave her freedom
    By Ben Morse, CNN
    Video by Noura Abou Zeinab, for CNN

Updated 5:08 AM ET, Tue December 22, 2020
    Silke Sollfrank wants to encourage more women to take up parkour

(CNN)As she grew up, Silke Sollfrank competed at a high level as a gymnast. There was one problem -- she never liked "the competition" of the sport.

Everything changed for her when she was introduced to parkour.
    Instead of worrying about "pointy toes all the time, Sollfrank discovered freedom in parkour, which involves jumping, climbing and running around urban landscapes.
    "I realized that I need to set my own limits," Sollfrank told CNN Sport. "I need to focus on my movement instead of always comparing myself to other people as well.

Sollfrank admits she prefers to be "more chill" in parkour than "being very feminine" in gymnastics.
    "All I did when I was a gymnast was comparing myself to other women and try to be better than them. And parkour kind of slapped me in the face and showed me: 'This is not this is not what you want.'"
    Since switching to parkour in 2015, Sollfrank hasn't looked back.
    The 23-year-old has competed in the world's biggest parkour competitions, making her debut at the Aurora Games in New York and also made the podium in the Red Bull Art of Motion event in 2019.
    Sollfrank participated in the Netflix show Ultimate Beastmaster and was the last woman standing in her Ninja Warrior Germany episode.
    She's also the only woman in the 15-member parkour group Ashigaru. And now she wants to encourage more people follow in her footsteps and take up parkour.

Sollfrank admits it took her "only two weeks" to have the basics of parkour shown to her.
    "Doesn't matter how old you are, doesn't matter what gender you are, as long as you can see that you enjoy movement, that you enjoy challenging yourself," says, Sollfrank, who admits she's had to overcome her fear of heights to continue competing.
    "There shouldn't be any fears of starting because everyone starts at their own level. Some people might have a lot of body experience and start a higher level. Some people don't know about anything, would like know how to do parkour and they start from zero. And that's totally fine."
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Best Parkour Monkey the Dog

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips