Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?...

Wink

Gangsterfist:

Like Ken and Ernie said...Just punch the guy. If he doesn't fall down - hit him again.

"Before I got onto this forum, a punch was just a punch. While I'm on this forum, a punch is rocket-science. After I log off, a punch is just a punch."

- Victor Parlati

---------------------------------------------------
    "Before I started the martial arts, a kick was just a kick, a punch was just a punch....after I started martial arts, a kick was no longer just a kick, a punch was no longer just a punch.......after I understood the martial arts, a kick was just a kick, a punch was just a punch."
    ----------------------------------------------------
    When I trained WC, a punch in WC was a lot different than a boxing or Muay Thai punch. Have things changed?

OK,
    Some wacky thoughts.

There is a different between

1, making a first grade math very complicated to look great

or

2, Biting the bullet to study the (all I hate it) Partial differential equation in complex plane. Because we need to design those small cell phone circuit everyone is using today ( remember those cell phone which can take pictures and never exist in the Red Boat? those in the red boat using astra body communication and have a big saving of dont have to by batteries)

OK Sleep sleep sleep sleep zzzzzzzzz
    So I can run away from you ,bros and sis. Dont hit me with your simple sun punch. ouch ouch ouch.... KJ , Victoooor,

Regards
    Jiglypuff
    Last edited by Phenix; 02-20-2004 at 06:35 PM.

Hendrik (Jiglypuff):

Ah...yes... Astral Projection ! Those were the good old days. I remember them well.

(Thoughts from a previous life)...

And now I work for Nextel Communications - my how things have changed ! These days...when I hit someone with the sun punch - I tell them it's Direct-Connect.

Bro Victor,

Hey bro this is great for fajing! no need to practice simple to use but buying bateries. wonder what happen if we export a few to the 1800's

http://www.defensedevices.com/stunguns.html
    Last edited by Phenix; 02-21-2004 at 09:50 AM.

I think perhaps some things are not clear about my views on this subject.

1) wing chun is technical, scientific, effective, effecient. It is one of my favorite martial arts I study (right now I am currently training in 3 different MA). I think that WC has more merits than demerits to it overall as a system. I can also see where wing chun lacks, and yes in certain areas of combat it does lack.

2) In its design its a simple martial art, only 3 forms plus a few supplement forms (dummy and weapons). I don't know how many of you train outside wing chun, but choy lay fut for example has over 50 forms, depending on how traditional you are being taught it can get over 80 forms. That is a lot of form work to remember. Wing chun is complex but in simple ways.

3) Wing chun is very dynamic, but its dynamics are so very subtle you do not see them at first. They are short, quick, effecient movements that are also subtle. Angle stepping into an opponet is very dynamic, short, to the point, effective, effecient and so on.

All these things are what makes wing chun great. Breaking it down to explain it is a good tool for a beginer, and for someone who wishes to analyze wing chun and its movements. Now to over complicate something to someone who does not fully understand wing chun or its simplicity is futile IMO. You have to crawl before you can walk. I read these articles, read posters on the internet, go to websites about how some wing chun sifu has this huge philosophy about wing chun and how great it is. Then they write this huge article with all this science behind it and over complicate it. Next image I get his how some kid (or any person really) is busting card board boxes in their basement with a pheonix's eye fist thinking how deadly they are, when infact they would probably get their a$$ whooped on the streets. I think a lot of people don't train what is practical in real fights and in real combat. I have been in enough real fights to know what I can and can't do. Which honestly is not that many fights, you can tell what you can do pretty quick in a fight. You either do and win, and do and get knocked on the ground. That is what should be trained with wing chun. The rest of techniques they may seem unrealistic for you to use can be used with proper training. In the end you will find only a handful of your favorite practical techniques they will be your bread and butter for combat.

Until you properly assert or test yourself with your known skills you will never know. Reading this essay on the chain punch and how effective it is does not make you understand it, and it does not make you a good fighter. Writing a 15 page article on the straight punch does not make you an expert or master of wing chun.

Now, I am not discrediting any sifu out there or on this forum. I am sure the people who write these articles or teach this way are good martial artists. I do however think that they are relying on their art too much and not realizing no training, technique or style is absolute.

I guess you could say I have had a break through lately in my training. I have picked up a few other systems, internal and external ones. This has opened my eyes to the limitless possibilities that a real fight has. I also realized that my current views will probably change again down the road as my training advances even more. So what should be stressed that even though this technique or style of attack is effective is not the end all be all of attacks as some of these people believe, or advocate.

Gangsterfist,
    reflect on how many times you said I in your last post and maybe elaborate on what it is you find so fascinating about your own opinion.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

story of a madman in disney land

I read this somewhere last night, wrote by a mad man name Leung blik. The son of Leong Bok-Lau, or Yim Wing Chun. who I met in Disney land selling cotton candy and tofuti

---------

Once upon a time, direct means see through physical and motion into energy flow. it is direct and simple, just keep everything in zhong. So, the wholelistics whole will be taking care of by the nature.

Then, it came the time energy was not seen but the motion. It is direct and simple, switch the key of the engine and motion handled nicely. So one takes others' position under his stance.

Then, when that picture of motion lost too, it becomes Mac-chun. It is simple, select from the manual on the wall, a meal for Tan Da, b meal for lap da, c meal for chain punch, d desert for angle.....
    That simple.
    But then, that is no longer the direct as in penetrate through the motion into energy flow. that is no longer the direct as switch the key of the engine. It is chasing meal with hand.

Then, later, to make the Mac-chun meal looks great and deep, one uses the ommmm and the "storingest" wave equation --- to explain why meal was designed to be simple and direct. That is a great phylosophy!

--------

That is the story from a mad man Leong blik. Not leong bik.

He sure is worst then Leong Bik who sold cloth. This guy sell cotton candy and tofuti. living with The spining cottton candy web and soft touching sensing slikly tofuti icecream.
    Perharps he see through the web and soft touching into the energy flow of DisneyLand, simple and direct---- have fun.
    or perhaps that is the complete story of his mom. more complete then Rene's complete wing chun in the Disneyland way. Better keep this before comcast buy disney and fired him.
    Last edited by Phenix; 02-21-2004 at 04:03 PM.

Originally posted by canglong
    Gangsterfist,
    reflect on how many times you said I in your last post and maybe elaborate on what it is you find so fascinating about your own opinion.

It is a great post by a person express and share himself freely and honestly.

thus no need to reflect. it is about encourage everyone to think for oneself , people changes time to time, and getting better. Fix at one spot to reflex.... moral...ego... make it not nature.

If WCK needs good people for next generation then WCK must provide place for free thinker to express what they believe subjectively. Sure, one can always change one's mind later for not all what one thinks now one still agree next year. But write it down frankly is great. Just dont force other to take it.

No reason is needed for why one believe. So keep dream and get curious. that is the begining of creativity. keep write and keep modified, then somedays, those can become a great thing.

and I mean equal for everyone here.
    Last edited by Phenix; 02-21-2004 at 04:23 PM.

I have to second Hendrik (Phenix) on this...There's no need for Gangsterfist to reflect on the amount of "I's" he used - it was a brilliant post by someone who could have a very big wing chun future ahead of him - as well as other martial art styles if he continues to crosstrain...

The bit about the "I's" is Tony Jacob's attempt to take Gangsterfist of course...so don't take the bait.

And by the way, Gangsterfist:

When you wrote..."Writing a 15 page article on the straight punch and how effective it is...does not make you a good fighter...I think that they are relying on their art too much and not realizing that no training, technique, or style is absolute..."

you demonstrated an understanding of the psychological and political dynamics involved in wing chun that sometimes takes other people decades to realize.

Stay on course - you're doing fine.

originally posted by hendrik
    No reason is needed for why one believe.
    originally posted by ultimatwingchun
    I have to second Hendrik
    You don't have to be a proponent of reason or logic to practice a martial art but to be an opponent makes no sense.
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

How lucky are we to live in a democratic world with free speech ?

Originally posted by Phenix
    How lucky are we to live in a democratic world with free speech ?
    Hi Phenix,

I seldom feel compelled to correct you, but look around, not much of the world has free speech. That's why it's so important to protect it where it does exist.

To the master, all Wing Chun would fit on a page; to the novice, 100 books cannot convey it all.

Regards,
    Uber Field Marshall Grendel

Mm Yan Chi Dai---The Cantonese expression Mm Yan Chi Dai, translates to "Misleading other people's children." The idiom is a reference to those teachers who claim an expertise in an art that they do not have and waste the time and treasure of others.

Wing Chun---weaponized Chi (c)

That's why it's so important to protect it where it does exist.-----

That is what I mean. and dont abuse it too.

Hey Grendel:

"To the master all Wing Chun would fit on a page; to the novice 100 books cannot convey it all..."

THAT'S A GOOD ONE !