Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it just me?...

Ha! Ha! I always knew Ronald Reagan has good taste! Rambo is also one of my favorite movies! And the Country agreed...Sylvester Stallone won an academy award either in this movie? or Rocky if you are looking for proof in the pudding. I guess you can say we love a good underdog hero.

Regards,
    PH
    Last edited by PaulH; 02-23-2004 at 10:38 PM.

I guess you can say we love a good underdog hero.
    Don't we all ... though when, other than in real sports like rugby, soccer, and cricket, was the US and Ronald Wilson Reagan (anagram: Insane Anglo Warlord) last the underdog?

(please, no one take this TOO seriously)

Were the groundhogs in Groundhog Day underdog (or underground) heroes? How about the gophers in Caddyshack?
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

I don't think Rambo won any awards, though Rocky did as you say.
    "Once you reject experience, and begin looking for the mysterious, then you are caught!" - Krishnamurti
    "We are all one" - Genki Sudo
    "We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion" - Tool, Parabol/Parabola
    "Bro, you f***ed up a long time ago" - Kurt Osiander

WC Academy BJJ/MMA Academy Surviving Violent Crime TCM Info
    Don't like my posts? Challenge me!

You're absolutely right, Anerlich! For my sanity's sake I'm not taking any of this seriously! The Kangaroo stops here! Good night!

originally posted by anerlich
    Now THAT was a blatant plug.
    Not really it was germane to the topic at hand of course you are entitled to your opinion but even that does not deminish the relevancy of the topic of bound learning discussed in chapter 3 as we have now both pointed out a couples of times now
    Tony Jacobs

ng doh luk mun fa kin kwan

"...Therefore the truly great man dwells on what is real
    and not what is on the surface,
    On the fruit and not the flower.
    Therefore accept the one and reject the other. "

World Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun Kung Fu Association
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu Global Discussion Forum

So what does Chu Hsi got to do or contribute to WCK?

I must be lost.

Sic Semper Tyrannus, Gorby and Mao

Originally posted by anerlich

I tried to leave this one alone, at the risk of getting into another fun political argument with John Weiland, but WTH ...

Reagan didn't get Gorby to do ANYTHING. Gorby would have done it all a lot quicker if Reagan had had the faintest clue of WTF to do with a Russian leader who was not replying to his inflammatory anticommunist rhetoric in kind.

FCS, you are glorifying a man who claimed "Rambo" was his favorite movie.

Aaargh no, what have I done ? .....
    Normally I'd get out of the way while you rewrite history, but I'm smarting from your comments about the "real" sports of rugby, soccer, and whatever the third one was. I'm sad you didn't mention my sport of water polo.

Back to your comments. Who won the Cold War then? Not the pandering useful idiots of the Left.

Perhaps you're buying the spin of Gorbachev's self-serving propaganda in the theater of Leftist absurdity, when, after the fall of the Soviet Union, he spoke in Fulton, Missouri, the site of Winston Churchill's legendary 1946 iron curtain speech in which Churchill declared, "A shadow has fallen upon the scenes so lately lighted by Allied victory. From Stettin in the Baltic to Trieste in the Adriatic, an iron curtain has descended across the continent."

Gee, Churchill made Communism sound bad. Why would he do that? Communism only killed 100,000,000 people in the 20th Century. Let's give it another chance.

Would the Iron Curtain fall? Who won the Cold War? Who predicted the end of the Soviet regime of terror: you guessed it, Ronald Reagan.

Be thankful for Ronald Reagan and the continuation of his policies in the administration of the first President George Bush for the fact that Europe and Asia have more freedom than at any previous time in history.

Regards,
    John Weiland
    "Et si fellitur de genu pugnat"
    (And if he falls, he fights on his knees)
    ---Motto of the Roman Legionary

"Aim at Heaven and you will get earth 'thrown in': aim at earth
    and you will get neither." --C. S. Lewis

John W--- the fact that we have amicable dialogues given our ocean of differences on political labelling-illustrates a civility that could be used in many substantial wing chun discussions.

Before any mod. notes::
    I agree with Anerlich on Gorbachev in large part. First- I make zero brief for communism though I wouldnt have cared to live under the Czar or under the Kuomintang(they lobbed shells into Shaolin and disturbed the harmony of wing chun and it has not been the same since).And both regimes butchered people. And Churchill's hands were not clean in the colonies. In the slaughterhouse of history there have been many butchers hurling shibboleths from the left and right.

Gorbachev's glasnost, perestroika and demokratica(sp?) helped untie the loosening bonds in the USSR
    where ethnic and economic forces were already at work. He was trying for recreating a softer gentler federation- lack of money and military support took his loose footing away. I actually met the man and his daughter and visited with him at a confererence(on federalism)in Calgary soon after the collapse of the old USSR.
    (Not simple topics- and beyond left-right labels. Even Khruschev's
    condemnation of Stalinism was an early seed of change. Gorbachev who had been secretary of the communist party was trying to change the party as well)
    On Churchill and Reagan...I hear the mod's footsteps.

Joy
    Last edited by yuanfen; 02-24-2004 at 07:07 AM.

At face value, some people will assume you fellows are arguing politics. My theory is that you guys plot together in order to have my posts permanently deleted from the forum.

Regards,
    - kj

Originally posted by canglong
    kj, the proper discussion is more about focus or bound teaching methodologies "greater learning " than style. Predictable results can and are produced through tried and true methods of teaching which eliminate style, preference and illusion. Chu Hsi's Bounded Learning Chapter 3 pgs 50 - 57. Enjoy.
    Thanks for directing me to the reference. I still haven't managed time to read the book, so I will make an effort to preview at least that section some time this week.

Regards,
    - Kathy Jo

Hi KJ: John is really a shaolin spy in disguise- he doesnt want to share the great insights he gathered from bounded learning.
    joy

Originally posted by Keng Geng
    I think we're ALL seeing what you're saying, but your perception is VERY limited.

The point is to control EVERYTHING, and THAT is why one must one must analyze, so that the "fight" is NOT chaos.
    LOL okay you are right. I will try to control everything in a fight. When the guys buddies jump in or when someone pulls a knife on me (which both have happened before) I will completely control the situation with my wing chun.
    I will control every movement because its not complete chaos. Fighting is not a concept, you will never have the same fight twice. I bet all your science will help you out there, along with all your theory.

Its that kind of elitist thought I am trying to avoid. It is also what I was trying to point out.

Okay, no more politics and back to WC learning discussion. My view which posted year ago in response to whippinghand1 has not changed so far (The background was the ongoing discussion on the logics of Ernie's controversial training methods back then):

"Actually Ernie's perspective is based on the assumption that there is no single system including his that can adequately cover all aspects of reality. For the sake of discussion, I'm going to borrow the ideas of Mitroff in his well-known "Multiple Realities Model" and applied to WC according to Ernie.

First of all, from a quick perusal of his numerous posts I don't see that Ernie's real purpose is to come up with a single way or system that solves all problems. It is rather to allow himself to act. It is not the truth of his system or his views he hold that dictate his modus operandi. But only through action, he comes to learn of the "working truth" of his multiple views model, where "truth" is defined by the ability to respond not only to one's immediate problem, but to anticipate future problems, and thus gain an invaluable edge on working on them before they have gotten out of control.

He observes from his own experience and reflection that when WC methods appropriate for well-structured or bounded problems are applied inappropriately to ill-structure or messy ones in the "real" world, the result is often disastrous. Thus he contends that the solution and hope lie in the ability of each WCner to view problems from multiple views and multiple disciplines. It is his reality and his bone of contention."

Regards,
    PH

I can't resist commenting on Reagan either...I hated him with a passion...a phoney...a liar...and with no REAL respect for the working middle class, the poor, minorities, etc.

BUT I WILL SAY THIS MUCH.....Along with the subtle political pressure that the Polish Pope brought to bear on the Kremlin (remember it all starting with Lech Walesa)...

Along with this...the reason why Soviet communism fell WHEN IT DID...because it would have fallen sooner or later...

was Reagan's arms buildup (WMD's) - this was the coup-de-grace.

The Soviet economy couldn't keep up with this - Gorbachev knew it - and the game was up.

BUT THIS ARMS BUILDUP WAS NOT REAGAN...he was the grade B Hollywood actor/salesman that delivered the message - DESIGNED BY OTHERS within the corporate and the military world.

Originally posted by Phenix
    So what does Chu Hsi got to do or contribute to WCK?

What does Yik Kam White Crane Wing Chun have to do with Wing Chun from Wong Wah Bo and Leung Yi Tai?

"I must be lost"- phenis

Duh !!!

-David
    "The ultimate nature of survival is maintaining your balance"