Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What a Fraud!

Originally posted by rogue
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
    Ok, not only is that completely related to what we're talking about , but I'm rofl'ing at the fact that they made a store devoted entirely to "butterface" clothing. wtf?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

"Martial arts schools are not public convenience stores"

Then he shouldn't advertise like one. If he wants to be "profound and mysterious" he maybe shouldn't have a big website and do kids' gradings.
    www.systemauk.com
    "Remember it's not a move, it's just a movement" Vasiliev

The ching wu athletic association has had literally thousands upon thousands of students enter over the years and learn cma.

I am not certain there is one directory that covers all students who have studied under the name Ching Wu, jing wu. jing mo et al.

There are branches that call themselves jing mo/ching wu all over the world now. Quite a lot of them don't have the same curriculum.

For instance, the Jing Mo in Cali does not teach the same style as the Jing Mo here in Toronto.

Both are totally legit Kungfu schools though.

I really think he got blown off for his impetuos attitude.

Never underestimate and always approach with courtesy. In anything, this will get you ****her than demanding. After all, you are going to him. For his part he will offer and teach only what he offers and teaches. If this isn't suitable to you, then why approach in such a manner?

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

From what I've seen first hand, this school represents all that is unholy in kung fu.

Like I said, there are better places in and around Philly.

Drop me an IM or an email with location & what you're interested in and I'll see if my friend in the Philly scene can help you out.
    What would happen if a year-old baby fell from a fourth-floor window onto the head of a burly truck driver, standing on the sidewalk?
    It's practically certain that the truckman would be knocked unconscious. He might die of brain concussion or a broken neck.
    Even an innocent little baby can become a dangerous missile WHEN ITS BODY-WEIGHT IS SET INTO FAST MOTION.
    -Jack Dempsey ch1 pg1 Championship Fighting

(Simple. Irregardless of whatever is meant by "culture" here you have a right to know exactly what you are paying for, and nobody should mind a question (or twenty) as long as it is directed along those lines.Buyer beware.)

I would say no, you don’t have a right to know, you have a right to ask but nothing is implicit about you receiving an answer. Weather the guy was any good or not he basically said this school is not for you look somewhere else.

In many stores they have signs (We reserve the right to refuse service to any one)

Or the good old at will clause in many contracts (your employment here can be terminated at any time with out reason, you can quite at any time without reason)

seems he has assimilated quite well
    enjoy life

He offeres no info on which Jing Wu/Chin woo branch he studied at. Most all legit Jing wu schools offere that info. He only info he offered is what you could see on Fists of fury or fist of legend which he referenced.

I ran classes for awhile, it does get annoying when people "interview" you to become "your student". Yet I never responded like this guy.

I don't think "respect and courtesy" was the case here. Anybody I've ever talked to that was legit had no problem answering questions. As a matter of fact allot of them liked talking about their teachers, where they learned etc.

I'm not saying that he doesn't know any kungfu, just saying there are allot better places to learn. If he gets mad about simple questions how will you learn?

Any teacher can refuse to teach you, that's true. Yet given the way the site makes the school appear it's strange that he would turn ANYBODY down, especially for somthing as simple as asking a question.

Strange
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

QUOTE]Originally posted by scotty1

No that's not what I'm saying.

I'm not talking about citizenship. Presumably this Sifu lives within the law and genereally acceptable behaviour.

How the he!l did we get from him turning down a student to "refused to accomodate to any of their cultural precepts", which you're saying is an analogous situation?

Within the law the Sifu is free to run his school/business in any way he wants to. Don't like it, don't train there. Maybe he's seeing how much you want it?
    [/QUOTE]

Well, perhaps I misunderstood the intent behind your original post, and if this is the case, I apologize for the misunderstanding. My original understanding is that you were of the opinion that somehow EmptyFist was wrong for asking the questions he asked (granted, he did come off as a BIT overbearing, but I think KungLek's use of the word "arrogant" is something of an exaggeration in this situation.) And wrong again for saying that this Sifu should assimilate somewhat to the culture of the country he is currently living in. And this country is not typically closed-door when it comes to teaching. So again, if this was not what you meant at all then I respectfully retract my statement and apologize, while respectfully pointing out that you brought culture and the assimilation thereof into the picture before I did.

Of course EF should bend a bit to the Sifu's culture. We all do when we take martial arts, that's why we respect the one who is TEACHING US as well as other instructors. However, as EmptyFist is not studying Kung-Fu yet there is no reason to treat "Master Jeon" as a Sifu. These points are pretty moot though. Clearly this sifu has no interest in teaching him or he would have at least said "I would rather see you in person so that we may discuss these matters more freely."

Be that as it may however, I like to think of it like this. If I'm walking around downtown sometime and I ask someone what time it is and he says "You not need know time. Looking for someone else." My first reaction won't be "Well, I guess he's free to do as he pleases!" it will be "What a jerk!"
    And it will be my perogative to vent about it, if I am so inclined.

On the other hand, in keeping with this analogy, I wouldn't have started in on the guy saying "Hello, I studied watchmaking for a few years and am currently a member of The Springs and Gears Society of Watchmaking. Here are my credentials. Could you tell me what time it is?"

So I'm not saying that EmptyFist wasn't PARTIALLY wrong too, just that the Sifu's reply was more out of line than EmptyFist's questioning.
    Last edited by BlueTravesty; 02-29-2004 at 03:09 PM.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators