Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: For Whom DO You TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!

For Whom DO You TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!

I started this thread because i would like some input on why some people train is it for themselves or because they are so entertained by old martial folklore and great dragon Taming masters. Many Kwoons Which i have visited in the past have begun their presentation of the school by sitting me down and showing me pictures of themselves performing and their late masters and their lineage and so forth I call these Sifu's -"pimps". Because they use martial arts as their Prostitute to make money. I mean I understand the importance of history and all but if someone is looking to join your school what should matter is how good your training is not who you trained with. Cuz truly i dont care what the previous generation can do i want to know what you can do and how well can you do it. SO many sifu's today act as pimps sitting behind their desk raking in the cash and no longer training but then walk into places demanding respect i say beware of the arm chair warriors.

One More Thing

I would like to know if anyone's Sifu goes out on the floor and works out with them and if not have you wondered WHY NOT? I know mines does and spars with all of us as well.

My sifu leads and participates in the entire class.

Its hard to find a teacher that isnt a martial arts pimp. The real deal prolly wouldnt consider teaching a class larger than five. Just my opinion.
    "If you and I agree all the time, then one of us is unnecessary."

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument.
    - William G. McAdoo

Against stupidity, even the Gods contend in vain...

My instructor/family train with me all the time.
    When me and my trainer visit other schools he sometimes trick me into challenging other students of the school we visit.
    i dont count those as actual confrontations unless it's more than one opponent I dont think it would be fair to count the sparring one on one's.
    When me and my instructor demonstrate we start off with slow motions, then we attack with quicker movements as we go along until finally I meet my top speed and he oblitertes me with combos and the throws are so fast I have no time to counter.
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

Cool

Myself I guess, if not for me then for my curiosity to see how far I can go.
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

DT-

how about this...

who cares what you think.

who cares what you do.

you come across like a little obnoxious loudmouth.

pimp that baby

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Hey Lost Track,

Your Right old school Sifu's do keep the class small my class started with 28 on the first day and drowned out to 4, that was 15 years ago. Now when i teach i also teach a small class but even being with my sifu so long he still destroys me thats why i have so much respect for those sifu's who reallly train.

P.S. Kung Lick A** (Mr. Jamieson) I am entitled to post and display my opinion if u dont like it dont respond I also have your sifu's phone number so watch your mouth boy. I also have seen your pics on the net your kung fu needs all the work it can so stop typing and start training pimp.

anytime jersey girl.

you don't frighten me, but your poor attitude and mouthiness are even less desirable. lol!

what are you gonna do? call my sifu? hahahahahaha.
    I don't think it would matter to him that I think you have a poor attitude.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Given all the bs artists, who think they're good enough to make up their own styles after watching a few videos (eg. http://monstermartialarts.com/index.html) I think I'd be the first to ask for a styles lineage/history if I was looking for an art to learn.
    The eunuch should not take pride in his chastity

he's got a point...if a sifu's not prepared to spar...bl's not a happy student ....

but then again....when it comes to old internal practioner sufi's....external practice is kinda unneccessary

sorry boys...calling a draw

i train for myself.

Initially I trained for myself and to gain self defense. Now I train to learn more about martial arts, the techniques, the movements, the mindsets, I wish to understand these concepts my teacher gives me and make them a part of me. Right now I also train Lion Dance so that means being a part of a team, representing my Sifu's Sifu, my Sifu, the kwoon, and myself. With that in mind, I am training because many others were allowed to learn once what I am learning and were lucky enough to become Sifu themselves. By passing down a system as intricate and in-depth as kung fu, by acquiring that system, and then passing it down to new students, such as myself, you are passing down a part of every Sifu that came before your teacher. This means that it is a knowledge one person originally created, passed onto the next person considering them worthy enough of knowing, that person in turn added their flair while maintaining the originality and through this selection process, only the students seen as capable of this were given the system.

So, in this regard, the martial art itself is bigger than everyone who practices it because it is a piece of every Sifu that came before yours. We all know the hours, days, weeks, and months (I'm not at the point where years are a factor, still young), it takes to learn a form, practice and perform it with some proficency. NEver mind learning all the details! That takes years and so when someone is teaching you, that's years of their life you're looking at, and I think you better understand that and respect that because the dedication necessary is scary, to me anyway.

I don't think confrontation should play a place here but don't you care about your own presentation Kung Lek? OR maybe what your Sifu thinks about you?
    A unique snowflake

wp-

Why would I be concerned?

I'm ok with it whatever it is.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I train diligently so as to conform to DeathTouch's individual view of what a kung fu practitioner should be. In fact, that is exactly what I have dedicated the last 17 years of my life to... that and being 'accepted' on an internet bulletin board...