Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eat Your Greens

Eat Your Greens

I was lent a book a couple of days ago. called " a scientific approach to wrestling" by Shozo Sashara.

A the title suggests it's a book listing some of the training methods used by Freestyle wrestlers in the 60's

One thing that did interest me apart form the suggestive photo's of men rolling around in leotards,
    was a paragraph on diet.

Mr Sasahara suggests the what you eat has a effect on your power and endurance

For example,In the book he says that people who eat a high meat diet have greater explosive power and strength but lack endurance whilst vegetarian don't have AS MUCH expolsive power but greater endurance and stamina.

I appreciate that this book was written in the 60's and thinking regarding diet may have changed.As i am a devoted and voracious carnivore i can't see myself putting this theory to the test.

Has any body had any experiance? that is to say have you changed your diet in such a way that it has affected your training or performance adversely?Or has it improved? I don't mean protien shakes and anything of that ilk but a change in diet mabey from a meat eater to vegetarian or the other way round.
    Last edited by kwaichang kaned; 02-24-2004 at 05:20 AM.
    Mike: I dressed up as an old Isralie woman once.

Tim: Did you?

Mike: I didn't HAVE too.
    Spaced

Re: Eat Your Greens

Originally posted by kwaichang kaned
    whilst vegetarian don't have AS MUCH expolsive power but greater endurance and stamina.
    This is true - or so i've been told by the ladies
    OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

snap

Vegitarians do tend to have more endurance and stamina. As as meat eaters being more explosive....this is not so clear.
    I think, therefore I am awake!

It's easier to learn to do it now and maintain it in old age than to try and learn it in old age.

The world is my oyster.....Unfortunately I'm vegtarian.

Originally posted by stimulant
    Vegitarians do tend to have more endurance and stamina. As as meat eaters being more explosive....this is not so clear.
    When I eat red meat, I am very explosive.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

MK

IBS?

My sympathies

Spaced

I've been vegi from birth, and despite my small frame (5'6" - 150lbs) I'm probably the most powerful in upper body in our schools, although not the strongest.

Meat does have power advantages for building muscle (proteins, creatin, etc)...but it also clogs the digestive system as it takes longer to go through the body.

Traditionally shoalin monks were (and still still should be....) vegi.

It's easier to learn to do it now and maintain it in old age than to try and learn it in old age.

Stim

You seem to know a little about this

Now i know that soya and some pulses provide a reasonable amount of protein for vegetarians but is it a suitable substitute for meat or any animal products?

Does a vegan heal as quickly as someone who eats meat /cheese etc? (perhaps a stupid question but i'll like an answer)
    I was always lead to believe(rightly or wrongly) that animal products provided a more ready and larger amount of protein than an eqivalent portion of pulse or veggies.

Spaced

I know a bit beinbg vegi since birth.....I'm not biased about it either so I'll answer to the best of my knowledge....if I'm wrong about anything then please someone correct me!

Yup protein is more avaliable form meat for building muscles etc....but it is also second hand (been extracted from plant life and been turned into protein by the animal already). Secondly...nutirents / vitimins are more readily absorbed by the body when they are from plant sources as opposed to meat sources. Seaseme seeds are better than milk for calcium as your body processes it better than calcium from milk.

Vegans can be healthy, but it is more difficult without eggs and dariy products in the diet. Interestingly though, people who dont eat dairy products get very little flem build up!

You dont need meat for your proteins, but it is a short cut.

As for healing quickly, diet (I believe) have a great deal to play. Vegans / vegi's (with healthy balanced diets in theory) should heal faster than meat eaters as proteins are more quickly absorbed form plant matter. BUT...not many people, including vegi's / vegans have particuarly balanced diets!

Lastly....the one piece of dietry advice that is always given is '...eat at least 5 portions of fruit and veg per day', NOT eat 5 portions of meat!!

But ultimatly a lot of it is down to genetics and how your body responds.

I'm very powerful for small guy, but its more down to genetics and training than diet.

hope this is of some help.

Re: MK

Originally posted by kwaichang kaned
    IBS?

My sympathies
    Spastic colon. Red meat irritates it.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

I was a veggie for three years when living with a vegan ex-girlfriend. I was actually heavier and flabbier. After going back to meat I instantly felt a burst or energy.

Recently, I've stopped eating fast food (maybe one Taco Bell run a week) and I've felt an additional surge. This only makes sense. Your food is your fuel.

I believe balance is the best is most things. I want to move towards a diet heavy it veggies, fruit and nuts (snacking during the day) with a nice fish at night and occasionally a steak.

Drink wise: When I stopped drinking booze I developed a think for Soda ... it goes well with kind bud but makes you flabby and screws your blood sugar level.

Now it's all water and fruit juice and for those romantic dinners a glass of wine or two. Besides a friend coming over with a packed bawl one or twice, I haven't had any bud for two months. I feel much better.

Last of all. I need to control the labido a bit. I refrained for 2.5 weeks before my last fight and felt very strong.

I don't think it's the sex that's bad. It's the masturbation. Control, control, control.

Picking up my training lately has made me very much aware of my body.

Thanks Stim !
    Cleared a couple of things up for me. Basically advantages and disadvantages to both dietry choices right?

Now ,this balanced diet thing.A bacon sarnie in one hand and the equivalent weight of tea in the other .Is that the sort of balance i should be aiming for?

Spaced

Originally posted by EvolutionFist
    Drink wise: When I stopped drinking booze I developed a think for Soda ... it goes well with kind bud but makes you flabby and screws your blood sugar level.

Now it's all water and fruit juice and for those romantic dinners a glass of wine or two.
    Isn't fruit juice just as sugary as some soda? I stick to gatorade and water, mostly, but I don't know if that's any better than soda.

I quit drinking soda completely for 1 year and felt great. Then, I started getting a Dr. Pepper before work. Now, I get headaches and feel sluggish without it. I fear the caffeeine more than the sugar.
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 02-24-2004 at 08:35 AM.

EF

Cheers!
    This is the sort of thing im after .Whilst Stim's info was very useful he hass been a veggie since the year dot.

So you noticed a change when you went back to meat? interesting.

Think stim hit the nail with the balance thing.It's not so much the diet rather than what you eat is reasonably healthy.

Giving up Soda and Masturbation???????

One or the other mate!

Pass the fruit juice

Spaced

Basically advantages and disadvantages to both dietry choices right?
    yep. I'd choose a balnced diet over any sort of "extreme" diet anytime, atkins, vegan, whatever. Foods in certain combinations can do a lot for you, just use common sense.

speaking of caffeine masterkiller, this may be unrelated, or coincedental, but I had to get off caffeine pretty much permanently for medical reasons. It's been about 2 months now and my mind seems more clear and I feel more alert in the mornings and throughout the day!

Fruit juice can indeed by full of sugar....but its the type of sugar that counts. unrefined sugar is far better than refined.