Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secret Chinese Kung=ImproveSkill5,000%

Secret Chinese Kung=ImproveSkill5,000%

sparring, discuss

Discuss yourself.

Hmmm

Nice counter strike there Scotty1, I like your sparring technique.
    Oh I love the irony!
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

I thank you.

sparring is progressive and teaches the truths of ones abilities or lack of them.

sparring shows in the brightest light where your weakness and strengths are.

approach is progressive and as a learning tool and there is a lot to be gained from it.

take an agressive approach and hammer away at it and it will take longer to understand your own nature as a fighter.

carry on.
    cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    sparring is progressive and teaches the truths of ones abilities or lack of them.

sparring shows in the brightest light where your weakness and strengths are.

approach is progressive and as a learning tool and there is a lot to be gained from it.

take an agressive approach and hammer away at it and it will take longer to understand your own nature as a fighter.

carry on.
    cheers

But sparring is also equally a tool used to prove and reinforce myths and fallacies with in a style, to keep the blind not only blind, but happy that they are blind......I point you towards TKD for example.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

I haven't done tkd in years, but the sparring we did do was in a sportive modality, ergo, for sport, not for real, for points, not for true confrontation.

anyway, if your approach is to do it "for real", then it should still be a progressive understanding approach imo.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

the secret it. green tea.

and the peaches form the garden of heaven that will make you immortal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Originally posted by Liokault
    But sparring is also equally a tool used to prove and reinforce myths and fallacies with in a style, to keep the blind not only blind, but happy that they are blind......I point you towards TKD for example.
    That's why you should never be adverse to sparring outside of your class and your style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

just fight
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Originally posted by Kung Lek

anyway, if your approach is to do it "for real", then it should still be a progressive understanding approach imo.

cheers
    But how do you do a training exercize for "real"? All sparring is real sparring!

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    That's why you should never be adverse to sparring outside of your class and your style.
    Indeed but how many people really do this? Not many! But most are very pleased when they get a new guy from a differant style, that they can impose there rules on and make look stoopid. The TKD class again, would love to sparr a boxer, having told him that he is not alowed to clinch or hit to the head with punches full power......LOL (says a TKD dweeb) I thought boxers were tough.....he had no answer to my head high typhoon 360 degree spinning kick.

Same thing of though would happen if the TKD guy walked into a boxing gym.

Originally posted by
    Kristoffer

just fight
    Indeed.....but is that sparring?
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

It is sad that sparring has somehow become some separate animal that doesn't belong in some peoples kung fu barn.

As far as seeing what "works", I agree that it does show you the best of YOUR skill. But, the mentality that your style is full of fluff automatically breeds complacency in technique. Sometimes a perfectly good technique is overlooked simply because the student can't seem to feel for the application.

Also, when people talk about this subject and include the "what works" mentality, it would be nice to get an example or two from their style instead of blanket statements.

I don't pull techniques out of forms, I learn SKILLS from my forms.

just fight

I tried that last night, and all I ended up with was a bloody lip and a sore left pinky (which means I actually landed a good jab)... stupid ass had to hit me from behind though ...

Man, I hate when my old friends come to town, all the old drama ends up surfacing, when we weren't even looking for anything.

Oh well

Sparring, I haven't been doing enough of it lately, but I'd agree, it is an ancient secret that some do enough, but most not (including myself the last few months)...
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

Originally posted by Liokault
    Indeed but how many people really do this? Not many! But most are very pleased when they get a new guy from a differant style, that they can impose there rules on and make look stoopid. The TKD class again, would love to sparr a boxer, having told him that he is not alowed to clinch or hit to the head with punches full power......LOL (says a TKD dweeb) I thought boxers were tough.....he had no answer to my head high typhoon 360 degree spinning kick.

Same thing of though would happen if the TKD guy walked into a boxing gym.
    You should always let the person play by their rules as they should you. My style includes lots of sweeps and low kicks. The last TKD person I sparred let me play my game, then we would spar with their rules. No doubt he had an advantage when it was limited to head kicks, but I think he learned a lot when we didn't limit the techniques to his rules.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

Originally posted by Judge Pen

You should always let the person play by their rules as they should you. My style includes lots of sweeps and low kicks. The last TKD person I sparred let me play my game, then we would spar with their rules. No doubt he had an advantage when it was limited to head kicks, but I think he learned a lot when we didn't limit the techniques to his rules.
    But if a BJJ guy came in and wanted to sparr what would you get out of it? You may learn somthing from the 1% of the sparrimng session where hs taking you down but you would learn very little frpom the 99% where your his ***** on the floor.

If a boxer came in would you agree to sparr with him boxing rules?