Thread: Gong Li Quan origins

Gong Li Quan origins

I know many styles practice gong li quan, and there are many differences in the way it is practiced, I just wanted to kow if anyone knew where and when and by whom it was originally developed?

Thanks in advance!
    Bless you

Shaolin
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I know many styles practice gong li quan
    I've seen different emphasis' in the form, but don't know it, I'd imagine there are a bunch of variations though.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

it's a foundation setting fist form. there is variation from one school to the next depending on what is the emphasis of the given style.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Smile Gongliquan

Gongliquan (Kung Lik kuen) was absorded into the Ching Wu curriculum. The earilest record of this one form system (Gonglimen) dated back to Qing dynasty Qianlong period (1736-1796 CE). So this form could be older than the USA or Canada. Master Wang Fengting (Wong Fung Ting) in his book "Practicing Gongliquan" noted at least 2 versions available around the book's publishing time (May 1964).

It is said that the progenerator's family name is Luo. He traveled to Cangchou, Hebei and met a person who was very hard working with his Kung Fu. Unfortunately this person's forms are all flowery. So Luo thaught him the Gongliquan. It would seem that the original idea behind the form is to develop Gong to compliment whatever that unnamed person was doing; therefore, the form is supposed to be played slowly.

Wang Fengting's version was much longer and very repetitive [re: repeat to 4 directions]. The Ching Wu version very similar to and not necessary the other version that Wang was talking about is much shorter. The interesting thing about the CW version is that it ends in 90 degrees position clockwise to the opennig position. If the form repeat 4 times clockwise, you will finish back at where you started just like Master Wang suggested (I think I will be dead by then, lol...)

Styles around the Yellow River region, especially the north shores, mostly have Pigua flavor which is to say there are chopping and smashing type of movements. There are also takedowns, throws, stand up and ground fighter (limited to the side control and mount position). Ching Wu version Gongliquan has these type of characteristics. Here's a link to a move found in CCK TCPM version of the Gongliquan.

Here's an old link and the loading speed may be very slow.

CCK TCPM Gongliquan Application

Just some interesting thing about the Gongliquan.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Thank you all, Kung Lek, you are quite the scholar ( I don't even know if I spelt scholar correctly! )
    Bless you

bodhitree-

i am passionate about kungfu and therefore I dig to find answers.
    And if I can't find answers, I ask elsewhere, and failing that, I continue to look.

That's all one can do in my opinion.

Not necessarily a focused scholar, just an enthusiast and practitioner.

unless of course you were being sarcastic in which case, oh well. lol

Now that Gene Ching guy, He's the scholar! I would also say same of NorthernShaolin. Both are terrific in their sharing and enthusiasm for the chinese martial arts.

cheers
    Last edited by Kung Lek; 03-02-2004 at 06:46 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I was not being sarcastic at all, you impressed me on this thread and also on the lion dancing thread. Gene does have a great deal of info, but I figured he has more access to a lot of info that we do not! thanks
    Bless you

That's the great thing about not only the internet but the open doors available today. One can find out a lot and pursue knowledge with less restriction than even 20 years ago.

I find that genuine Martial artists are very enthusiastic and open about sharing their knowledge. This attitude is really what will keep the arts alive and well.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

The Gong Li Quan out of the Nanjing Central Koushu institute appears to be very different to the Chin Woo form, although identifiably the same form.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

I was taught the Chin woo, It seems very different than the one inside of Yang Jwing MIngs book.
    Bless you

Originally Gong Li Quan was taught at the Jing Mo Association since 1912 when Chao Lin Ho established the standard curriculum. When the Nanjing Central Kuo Shu schools established in 1929, the two schools were the largest and well known in China with one being a private association and the other being supported by the government.

Instructors were exchanged as guest instructors and would teach sets from thier curriculum. Instructors from the Jing Mo schools brought Gong Li Quan as one of the sets that was introduced to the Kuo Shu schools. Since the Kuo Shu schools were more military in their ways of teaching and was more geared towards combat, modifications to the set occured. However, the core and essense of Gong Li Quan is still the same.

Quote Originally Posted by mantis108 View Post
    Gongliquan (Kung Lik kuen) was absorded into the Ching Wu curriculum. ...
    Hi mantis108, you have the message folder full of messages, im trying to reach you in some way..please send me when you read this! :-)
    if anyone know him and can tell me a private email to write, do me a very helpfull thing
    thank you

Quote Originally Posted by thefoxclaw View Post
    Hi mantis108, you have the message folder full of messages, im trying to reach you in some way..please send me when you read this! :-)
    if anyone know him and can tell me a private email to write, do me a very helpfull thing
    thank you
    Hi.
    Good luck in your search.
    But looking at Mantis 108 profile, it says no activity here for 5 years now.
    You never know though.
    cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.