Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: kung fu and mixed martial arts

kung fu and mixed martial arts

Someone said in another post, "BAk Mei is not a complete art beause it doesn't have grappling and ground figting."

I've heard that same comment applied to kung fu in general. Why doesn't anyone ever comment on how grappling styles lack the advanced striking methods that kung fu styles like bak mei have. Every K1/Pride fight i've ever seen featured a grappler that had "striking skills" but really only had rudimentary boxing skills.

Kung fu has grappling...but it is dressed up differently than the way styles like aikido and jujutsu do. IMHO, kung fu grappling is a hell of a lot more advanced than all of that aikido/jujutsu stuff put together.
    A penny saved is... not much.

kung fu doesnt need grappling when used correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

what do you mean?

Of course kung fu needs grappling...but not the Steven Seagal type.

Skin ripping, muscle tearing nerve pinking...testicle grabbing...etc. Those are all grappling moves. Grappling isn't just taking someone by the wrist and having him or her dance around in a circle while you control them.

Well, I do believe grappling can be necessary and beneficial, and I as a Kung-Fu practitioner would like to learn some ground-fighting principles, but only to the extent that it would help me to get back on my feet if I got taken down so I can keep punching and kicking. It may sound a$$inine, but I would rather break teeth/noses than have some sweaty freak pawing at me while rolling on the ground like I'm his prison cellmate. But if it did happen, it would help to know what to do to get back up. So I can hopefully knock out some more teeth and get in a couple good shots to the family jewels.
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Re: what do you mean?

Originally posted by travelsbyknight
    Skin ripping, muscle tearing nerve pinking...testicle grabbing...etc. Those are all grappling moves. Grappling isn't just taking someone by the wrist and having him or her dance around in a circle while you control them.
    exactly, kung fu has a ton of china-na.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

LOL, This how these discussions almost always start; a traditionalist making a claim about MMA.

IMHO, kung fu grappling is a hell of a lot more advanced than all of that aikido/jujutsu stuff put together.
    Pure comedy there.

LOL I liked the bit about the "advanced stricking skills of kung fu"

Yet you put a "master of kung fu" in a fight and they just throw haymakers till they fall over then brawl on the floor or tap out depending on if they are fighting a BJJ guy or not.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?

cuz bjj is teh invicnebles!!!
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

master of kung fu

I've never seen a televised fight involving a bjj player and a supposed master of kung fu. Was this person a self proclaimed master of kung fu...or did he order his belt from the back of a cereal box?

Which master was that again?

IMHO, kung fu grappling is a hell of a lot more advanced than all of that aikido/jujutsu stuff put together.
    I had an Aikido black belt tell me that BJJ wasn't good for the real world. Of course this was after I had just used a bridge and roll to get him off of me after one of his finger locks slipped and we started grappling. Oh yeah the B&R was something I read about in a book and I was pretty impressed by the technique since I don't do BJJ or MMA.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Originally posted by BlueTravesty
    cuz bjj is teh invicnebles!!!
    roffle roffle
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

for those of you who think bjj is something "new" or is a "mma"

think again... it ain't and it never said it was. it has come to emphasize the ground play but...

http://frota-team.com.br/martialarts.php

anyway, if you check out the gracies site, they will pretty much corrobarate (sp?) to that end.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

its true that kung fu in general lacks any real good grappling arts. I don't know why that is, but its the good old truth. and as for the "advanced striking skills" of kung fu- get over it, there are few punches that will work in a fight. I do kung fu and muay thai, and apart from "the four" (jab, cross, hook, uppercut) there is maybe 4-5 other hand strikes of any use. if you want good technical punchers who can grapple, go watch Bas Rutten or Mirko Cro Cop.

grappling is an essential part of fighting and something that I unfortunately have no access to (I live in a fairly small town- closest decent grappling class is at least 2 hours drive) and I think any well rounded fighter should at least know the basics.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

Re: master of kung fu

Originally posted by travelsbyknight
    I've never seen a televised fight involving a bjj player and a supposed master of kung fu. Was this person a self proclaimed master of kung fu...or did he order his belt from the back of a cereal box?
    I did not refer to a televised fight, but if you need to see video of just how bad kung fu masters are just do search on this forum.
    LOL.. really, what else did you hear?.. did you hear that he was voted Man of the Year by Kung-Fu Magizine?