Thread: Shintaido??? WTF?

Question Shintaido??? WTF?

I once read a book about Shintaido. It had lots of pictures (about 80 pages actually) of guys in gi's and hakama running down a beach with their arms wide open then jumping into each other's arms and hugging. So I assumed that it was some sort of new age thing.

Next I'm at work and this guy walks in. He's western, middle aged, fat, sloppy bearded and wearing silken Kung Fu pajamas. I chatted to him for a while and then asked him politely if he trained MA. He told me that he trained Shintaido. When I asked him what it was he gave me the usual sheep bleating about the "peaceful martial artist" and "the way" and "harmony, self realisation", etc. I asked him about the martial aspects of the art and he said I wouldn't understand.

I told him that I do Wing Chun and he gave me a look that said "Oh you poor unenlightened one. If only you knew the truths that I did" with arrogance and contempt. He then left.

WTF is this?

What is Shintaido? And why do they do that hug thing all the time?
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

what it is is what it is...
    http://www.shintaido.org/

there ya go
    cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

WTF
    I will crush my enemies, see them driven before me, then hit their wimminz with a Tony Danza. - Vash

hmmm.... I smell an amber alert...
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

Originally posted by shaolin kungfu
    WTF
    WTF is definately the correct assessment of that situation.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Arent these the folks what drink the koolaid to beam up to the UFO behind the comet?

Mike Falken

remember the episode of seinfeld where Kramer joins a karate class and it turns out he's the only one there who isn't a kid.

that's what that picture reminded me off. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Shintaido was introduced in the U.S. by Haruyoshi F. Ito and Michael Thompson, who in 1976 co-founded Shintaido of America. Because the people who originally developed Shintaido are still very much alive, the Shintaido system itself continues to grow and develop. While the basic curriculum is well established, a group of top instructors (the International Technical Committee) meets regularly to further refine and improve the Shintaido program.

Interesting I had seem some demos of this in 75, not very far from its starting date in the US.

Like many things it has a following of people who the art resonates with, either you get it or you don’t. Still going strong for more then 30years I guess many get it.

“he gave me a look that said "Oh you poor unenlightened one. If only you knew the truths that I did" with arrogance and contempt. He then left”

must have been a pretty strong look to generate all this noise. Shouldn’t let the sheep bleating rock your day.
    enjoy life

Originally posted by Kung Lek
    remember the episode of seinfeld where Kramer joins a karate class and it turns out he's the only one there who isn't a kid.

that's what that picture reminded me off. lol

The size difference doesn't matter Jerry. We're all the same skill level.