Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Attn: Frank

More on Lion Dance

Fu-pow,

I have never seen your sifu so I have no comment but CLFNoble speaks wise words. As Lam Sai Wing wrote, "Even Mt. Tai San looks up to the clouds"

In regards to tradtional vs. Modern liondance. Each has their own aspects. Most of the winning schools that win international competions have traditional teams. Even the "Jong" competitions are emphasizing more animation.

I've been to Malaysia, Singapore and Hong Kong and seen the teams there. Traditional is alive and well but has evolved.

I was also a judge at the West Coast competion. The DVD is out. I highly recommend it. http://www.lion-dancing.com/product.asp?itemid=9

Take a look at the trailer on the home page http://www.lion-dancing.com/nfldc/home.html I'd like to see traditional lion dance head this direction. BTW, Yau Kung Moon won this comp.

CLF Noble, is your si-sook doing the traditional fat san lion dance and keeping the "old" drumming? Just curious. I see too many teams now opting for the Hok San style of lion and drum. Great if that's your roots but these are traditional Fat San based systems like Hung Gar and CLF. The worse are the teams that opt the HS drum but use a FS head.

I think I'll start a new thread since this is really off topic here.

Arguing about lineage...
    Who's history is more accurate...
    Who created which forms...
    How many forms they created...
    Who is the best lion dancer...

I think this thread is a perfect example of why so many kung fu guys can't fight.

Fu-Pow

Your mailbox is full.

Originally posted by Knifefighter
    Arguing about lineage...
    Who's history is more accurate...
    Who created which forms...
    How many forms they created...
    Who is the best lion dancer...

I think this thread is a perfect example of why so many kung fu guys can't fight.
    Actually, this sort of stuff makes us better fighters, but you wouldn't understand because you prefer hours of sportified dry humping.

What? Generalisations? Surely not....

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Hi Serpent,

What is "sportified dry humping"?

JX

Talking

JoeX, I think he refers to BJJ and the sort.

Knifefighter has a certain image here - which is testified to by our private correspondence - so maybe that friendly push by Serpent is just that: a friendly, humorous one-liner much like the kind Knifefighter himself favors. Or something...

What you give is what you get...

//mika
    ”The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next.” Matthew Arnold

Exercise Masters
    Potkua!
    Fen Lan Tang Lang Men

Sportified dry humping= BJJ/groundfighting and training for competitions.

As opposed to jumping around and pretending to fight like a bug or a monkey.

Mika is correct.

KnifeFighter is jealous.

"i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Sportified dry humping= BJJ/groundfighting and training for competitions.

Knifefighter

"Sportified dry humping= BJJ/groundfighting and training for competitions.

As opposed to jumping around and pretending to fight like a bug or a monkey."

I'm starting to like this knifefighter guy.

Hey knife, I think the different styles of fighting integrate very well. I'm working on drilling the charp chui while in the mount position. Either he eats it in the neck and face a few times and taps, or at the very least throws him off enough to fall for a basic juji-gatame. I guess I can always try to just throw punches to the face but....I like to use my CMA when I can and frankly, I think an out and out grappler would be disoriented expecting punches and getting my foreknuckles driven into his cartoid.

k