tank has no power on todays mma
    "If you're havin girl problems i feel bad for you son
    I got 99 problems but a bitch ain't one"

"If you can't respect that your whole perspective is wack
    Maybe you'll love me when i fade to black"

http://www.hotornot.com/r/?eid=OQSURMO&key=FMA

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    MK -

I refuse to agree to disagree on this. I insist that we disagree to agree!

As you know, definitions - especially definitions of stuff that's important to me - are a little hobby horse of mine and I have to ride it every once it a while. It's fun, and almost always gives me something new to think about. Don't feel obliged to keep going if it's gonna take time away from important family and healing/training obligations.
    You're the resident artists here, so I'll take your opinions to heart. I tend to be a little elitist when it comes to what I consider art. When I don't like something, I just don't like it, and I'm quick to dismiss, usually. So anything I argue is really coming from that very me-centric point of view.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

Dude, given the fact you've actually written a novel and gotten it published you're perfectly qualified to spout your opinions of fine arts and there relationship to martial arts. In fact, I figure our respective persuits in our respective fields are the main reason we're the only regulars who care to argue about this.

Besides, you dig Motherwell, and that gets plenty of bonus points.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by MasterKiller
    Well, Emmitt had a pro-bowl line to open all those holes for him for 10 years, and Barry had the worst line in football during that same stretch; yet, when Barry retired after 9 seasons, it took Emmit 12 seasons to surpass his yards.....

Besides, everyone knows the best back to come out of Texas was Billy Simms, and he came to OU!
    Emmit is great, but Barry was greater.

Priest Holmes, San Antonio, Texas (big ups!), that's all I gots to say. He IS and WILL be better than Billy Simms, when it's all said and done.
    The morrow beckons...

Back to the original topic for a sec...

many agree that it's the artist and not the art. BUT, why is it that some arts have a reputation of consistently developing proficient exponents, while others do not? For example, bjj and tkd. There are good tkd guys out there, but which art has the rep of putting out better fighters?

Okay, now back to talking about art and football.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Well, that's simply because you get better at what you spend time practicing. BJJ types fight more in class than TKD types, so they get better at it.* It has more to do with how the art is practiced than the content of its techniques - at least if the techniques aren't hopelessly dumb.

* Broad but hopefully not too inaccurate generalization.
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

so it IS the training methods...normally when I say that, I catch flak about it.

BTW, nice avatar.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Who gives you flak about that? I would think it was obvious.

And thanks. But what do you mean "slow of mind?"
    Crippled Avenger

several - usually when I comment on the training format of CMA vs MMA.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    But what do you mean "slow of mind?"

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter