Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it the Artist or the Art?

Is it the Artist or the Art?

I say neither really. I think it has a lot more to do with your coaches training (not teaching) methods and the caliber and intensity of your fellow students/training partners. You can only get as good as the people you're training with.

discuss

depends whether you're an introvert or an extrovert. an introvert doesnt need the people around him to even be there to train hard, whereas an extrovert draws on them to keep going (this is why 90% of the SAS is made up of introverts)

but yeah you might be the most hardout guy there is, if you have bad teaching it wont help you.
    "If there is no grand plan; if there is no big picture; if nothing we do matters, then all that matters is what we do."

concepts.. coach and artist.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

Forums are no fun if I can't mess with your head. Or your colon...
    uh-oh, I hope no one quotes me on that....Gene Ching

I'm not Normal.... RD on his crying my b!tch left me thread

I have mixed feelings about this issue.

I think a good fighter is 99% of the time the product of good training intensity and proper conditioning.

I also believe there is a lot of crap being taught that significantly hinders a persons ability to fight.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

I would have to agree with WD to a certain degree. But I also think that pure aggression and the "I'm going to kick your a$$" attitude has to be there. Tank Abbot comes to mind, he's defeated MMA guys and so-called masters. Yes, he's been beaten, BUT guys who's beaten him actually came out after him in an aggressive manner, either that or they just waited until he ran out of gas.

The Muay thai people I have learned from would say the style is most important. Benny Urquidez was defeated by Muay thai so there. Kungfu does not have a proper gaurd with the hands up so they will be knocked out. So xinyi or "mindboxing" cannot win supposedly. Every xingyi guy I seen on the internet wants no part of fighting and just wants to pretend they are so intelligent. Punks. Screw them. Think their so intelligent. I don't really care, a loss is a loss, so WTF, why all politics and sticky hands ****? Just fight or you shouldn't say **** if you practice second hand styles or "official standardized" **** that these chinese everything "experts" who interfere practice. MMA rules, TMA sucks is the general consensus on internet forums, but most people don't care about martial arts anyways so who cares how adult or intelligent and "real" you think you are. There's some retarted **** in TMA , so do real stlyes like the 2000 year old fighting tradition of Muay Thai for standing, and a ground style , it's the future.

You reallly should take your meds like the nice doctor told you to backbreaker.

you can borrow some of my meds, bro

two asian women in an erotic position

Kungfu does not have a proper gaurd with the hands up so they will be knocked out.
    practice wu de

Actually I bored everyone to death. Even Buddhist and Taoist monks fell asleep.....SPJ

This is a good example of why I consider fine arts and martial arts to be completely seperate.

In martial arts, only one thing counts - results. It doesn't matter how it happened, if the fight ends with you healthy and the other guy not so much, you win. Therefore it is neither the artist (physical and mental attributes) or the art (concepts, methods, techniques) that matters, it is only the artifact (a KO, a surrender, some debilitating injury.)

In fine arts, everything counts. Among the many things that a work of art is judged on include: the medium, the style, the history of the medium, the history of the style, techniques, ideas, clarity of communication, currrent fashions, the fame or lack thereof of the artist, the venue in which the art is presented, the opinions of critics, dealers and the public, etc.

In essence, fine arts is almost totally subjective, and martial arts are almost totally objective. I think it is a grievious error to misconcieve of either in terms of the other.
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 03-03-2004 at 02:16 PM.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    This is a good example of why I consider fine arts and martial arts to be completely seperate.

In martial arts, only one thing counts - results. It doesn't matter how it happened, if the fight ends with you healthy and the other guy not so much, you win. Therefore it is neither the artist (physical and mental attributes) or the art (concepts, methods, techniques) that matters, it is only the artifact (a KO, a surrender, some debilitating injury.)

In fine arts, everything counts.* Among the many things that a work of art is judged on include: the medium, the style, the history of the medium, the history of the style, techniques, ideas, clarity of communication, currrent fashions, the fame or lack thereof of the artist, the venue in which the art is presented, the opinions of critics, dealers and the public, etc.

In essence, fine arts is almost totally subjective, and martial arts are almost totally objective. I think it is a grevious error to misconcieve of either in terms of the other.It's true, but it only applies to the factors that determine victory in a fight.
    I disagree....to an extent. I've heard plenty of people say someone won a fight with low-level kung fu, or in modern terms, as a brawler....

While winning is ultimately the most important aspect of fighting, I believe there is room for self-expression in combat.

The ultimate goal of a good running back is to move the ball downfield....But Barry Sanders and Emmit Smith did this in completly different ways, and both were successful. Emmit had more yards and touchdowns, but who was a better running back?
    Last edited by MasterKiller; 03-03-2004 at 01:52 PM.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Anyone in a fight is a craftsman, the person who wins used his tools in a greater fassion. Someone who makes that look good is an artist. What you concider looking good, that is the question
    practice wu de

To answer MK's question, anything besides yards and TDs is irrelevant to his worth as a running back. You can argue that since football is a spectator sport style and panache will count for the fans, but I'll bet if those fans see a spectacular run that nevertheless fails to score the winning touchdown they won't be talking much about the style and panache thereof. In any case, the good looks of the run are about showmanship and not football.

To answer NP's assertion, that's complete nonsense.

PS - I edited the last sentence out of the post that MK is quoting because it refers to a digression I made but decided against including, only somehow that sentence didn't get deleted with the rest of it. No big deal, but it didn't make a lot of sense without its context.
    Last edited by Chang Style Novice; 03-03-2004 at 02:17 PM.
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Originally posted by Chang Style Novice
    To answer MK's question, anything besides yards and TDs is irrelevant to his worth as a running back. You can argue that since football is a spectator sport style and panache will count for the fans, but I'll bet if those fans see a spectacular run that nevertheless fails to score the winning touchdown they won't be talking much about the style and panache thereof. In any case, the good looks of the run are about showmanship and not football.

To answer NP's assertion, that's complete nonsense.

PS - I edited the last sentence out of the post that MK is quoting because it refers to a digression I made but decided against including, only somehow that sentence didn't get deleted with the rest of it. No big deal, but it didn't make a lot of sense without its context.
    OK.....What determines if a piece of furniture is art? Its function or its form? I argue it's a little bit of both.