Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Let's see if we can keep our cool...

Jaguar Wong Guest
    Black Ops.

Has anyone seen this ridiculous pile of instructional video? It's the silliest piece of crap, claiming to teach real world self defense, that I've seen in a long time. It, suspiciously, looks a lot like the latest version of Combat JKD, or Chamrac Bas. Except instead of seeing C. Clugston's mug, the "host" is Mr. X. What kind of crap is that!?!

I'm not saying that special forces, or black ops type stuff isn't effective, I'm just saying that "Mr.X" doesn't show you self defense. He shows plain ambush and murder type of techniques.

For example, he shows how to sharpen the edge of a credit card and use it to defeat your attacker, but then to demonstrate, he walks past an unsuspecting bar patron and slits his throat (along both sides to make sure) when the bar tender isn't looking. Or better yet, he walks by another patron sitting at a table, and stabs him in the neck repeatedly with a corkscrew (You've gotta hold his head down with the other hand, though, cause the corkscrew will pull out bits of flesh). Then there's the classic repeatedly stab the guy coming out of the bathroom with an icepick then shove him back in to hide the body and weapon.

Then there's the entire section about unarmed and knife fighting tactics (which has some good grappling techniques suprisingly), but the only scenarios that he shows are ambush style attacks where you take out a sentry. Sounds more like a video that vigilantes would use, not regular citizens in need of a self defense solution.

He also shows how to "split a man's skull in half with your bare hands." A must see for any real world self defense enthusiast :rolleyes:. A true gem to those of us who sit through crappy martial arts movies, but a huge waste of time and money for anyone who takes it seriously.

Here's the funny thing, though. One of the takedowns that I use, I actually learned from the Black Ops video :). You'll have to see the tape if you want to find out which one, though. I'm not giving away my "killer secrets".

Jaguar Wong

toddbringewatt Guest
    Nice answers so far.

But, again, let's stay away from the subjective, "depends on the fighter -- his attitude, his likes, his strengths" arguments. This isn't the point of the question.

Assume we're dealing with a universe of clones of "average" quality in every respect. What SYSTEM is the question here.

So what SYSTEM and why?

Remember, these are all just opinions here. If you think this is a silly question, don't answer it. Browse a different thread or create one of your own.

The question here is what SYSTEM produces the most deadly real-life combat fighter over a 10 year period at 1 hour a day.?????????????????

"Bruce Leroy. That's who!"

Stumblefist Guest

A certain "something"

Does anybody remember "Nikita".
    Probably no one here has seen a Japanese-American production (japanese soundtrack) called "Brothers"?
    ...Talk about natural nasty... and "naked kill".. maybe it's not about the kungfu or the person but the life experience. The overself really knows what to do, practice is just an assist. A natural killer just goes straight for it.
    A good question, how does one learn that?

"This is the end
    My only friend, the end
    It hurts to set you free
    But you'll never follow me"

Universal Stance Guest
    F-117A Stealth fighter with nuclear payload going after Bin Laden.
    :D

I take a Universal Stance regarding the Martial Arts.

"**** it's cold out here to be practicing."

toddbringewatt Guest
    This is purely hypothetical. Unarmed. Generic Earth setting.

Go.

LEGEND Guest
    STANDUP FIGHTING: Muy thai or any kickboxing system...why??? it's simple. it's full contact. and it's proven in one on one competition and it weeds out the week.

GRAPPLING FIGHTING: Brazillian JJ. It is a combination of old skool JUDO with some freestyle wrestling and greco. it's simple although there are tons of techs. it's full contact. and it's proven in one on one competition. Strangely enuf week people can work this style.

A

Crimson Phoenix Guest
    For the second time: XINGYI...hell yeah :D

toddbringewatt Guest
    Why Xingyi?

Crimson Phoenix Guest
    Read my first post, Bruce :D

toddbringewatt Guest
    Oops! Missed it. Thank you, Phoenix.

Crimson Phoenix Guest
    You're welcome, it feels good not to be a rotten egg hehehhehe

toddbringewatt Guest
    :D

Universal Stance Guest

I think aikido should be in here...

I love how the most advanced people can flip a person while barely moving themselves. I mean I've seen practitioners stand nearly totally upright and with one-hand, flip people over their heads. My best friend who is not a practitioner was on the receiving end of one of those demos.

So picture this, a 6 foot+ person flipping someone over their head and making that person land on their's. I think that's pretty deadly.

I think any style that promotes chi(qi; ki) mastery is among the most deadliest systems. Internal damage is beyond comparable.

I take a Universal Stance regarding the Martial Arts.

"**** it's cold out here to be practicing."

Shaolin36 Guest
    I would have to go with what LEGEND said!

LEGEND Guest
    One thing I want to stess is that I'm not for or against any styles! It seems we get caught up in that alot...it's very easy to learn street fighting self defense...the most dangerous opponents out there knows basic boxing and basic grappling. Usually they're more into STRENGTH MASS training than actual fighting training which includes CARDIO. So learning how to use a style to fight is relatively easy. U won't encounter a FRANK SHAMROCK or GRACIE in the streets. So take into consideration when learning a system what is your ultimate goal??? Many people criticize bruce lee for not learning the full wing chun system...but bruce goal was to be a self proficient ins selft defenense only. His student Dan Insonto has mastered and has credentials in over 10 systems...so he had a different goal. So each of us must figure out that goal and good luck.

A