Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Low Stances

Low Stances

Well I must say in many of my years training has always been fun, but tonight I thought I was going to die.

But seriously my leags are so sore I cant walk. I went to my shrfu's house to day to practice Tai Chi. She had string all across the room about 5 feet from the floor and she conducted class from 4 to 5:30 having us perfrom the whole set many times from an extremly low position.

I'm 6'2 so you could imagine how low I had to be to not hit the string.
    I'm curious to see if anyone else has ever had to endure this type of brutality? And would like to hear your comments. thank you ED
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Teaching traditional Ba Bu Tang Lang (Eight Step Praying Mantis)
    Jin Gon Tzu Li Gung (Medical) Qigong
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

That sounds like something that may be intrestingly effective.
    I have never done a training like this but I have been enduring training for evermore lower stance position. I do this because my capability to from the lower position will be greater than before this funny and painfully fun training.( You have to train with another person with you so they can pick on your funny looking painful faces).

But, techniques such as snaake creeps low would be kinda cool to use with that extra mobility in a fight, considering all that energy coming from the earth into some ones chin or gut. Or maybe even both!?
    Style is only defined by the limitations of a system of fighting and defending. So when in medatation ask yourself not "what are the weaknesses of thine enemy" but rather so what are your own weaknesses

[mma bandwagon]

I remember when I used to train low stances

[/mma bandwagon]

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

All I do now, is hold them a minute or two when I practice Wu Bu Quan. Other than that, I prefer to be a bit higher up. My 36 year old knees can't take moving through them that low anymore.

That being said, when I used to do it on a regular basis, it DID give me quite a boost in my fluid mobility, even when I was higher up in stance. Funny thing, is it really helped my rooting at the same time.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

train low. you'll be better and stronger for it.

train high and you will not attain the strength required for real kungfu.

i'm 40 in one month, i train low while maintaining correct mechanics, this makes for good strength and strong joints. If you don't "take it to the max" you will not be able to achieve kungfu.

be reasonable of course, overtraining causes injury and then it takes even longer to develop your kungfu because of impatience and incorrect practice.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

As I am also 36 years old, (not quite as old as kung lek lol) just kidding Kung, but anyways I am feeling it today, hard to walk up the stairs.
    I am suprised at how weak I was through the set. I have done static stance training low before for quite a while and in my years of training thought I had a strong root, but it is nothing compared to performing the set in a crouched position.
    While it was very difficult to keep proper aligment at the same time

Iron wind
    funny you should say that becuase she kept saying why the face? just relax focus on breath......... yea right.

Her is a woamn who is 52 years old and can easily move through the set with no problem, snake creeps down she actually holds for a second back perfectly straight.

As the saying goes practice , practice, practice
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan

Teacher always told his students, "You need to have Wude, patient, tolerance, humble, ..." When he died, his last words to his students was, "Remember that the true meaning of TCMA is fierce, poison, and kill."

she's working ya ed-

taste that bitter and make it sweet.

cheers
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Dude, where's my keys?

wd, i remember that. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

How much can she squat?

j/k
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

I have not had a taiji teacher actyually make me do that, they would say that's up to you and they have students who do it. Your teacher sounds like she is awesome.

I have been trained pretty hard sometimes in a 1 1/2 hour Muay thai calass, pad rounds in the ring with a intense burst the last 30 seconds, sparring, heavy bag rounds. Heavy bag rounds where you box the bag for 10 seconds, then straight non stop punches for 10( or maybe it was 30, seems like it) seconds, box 10 seconds, straight punches 10 seconds( maybe 30) for the whole round. Bag rounds where you do 25 right shin kicks on the bag, 25 left kicks, 20 right, 20 left, 15 right, 15 left, 10 right, 10 left, 5 right, 5 left in one round. Beyond that I have to run which I slack off on

St jean sur richelieu (Montreal south shore)
    Low stances make your legs stronger and makes for more stability. We train those in wushu all the time Its the way to go

welcome to the club....................

Also, I find that issueing energy, can be very tiring as well.

Water Dragon,
    I finnaly found my keys! they were right over there!
    remember you and I make mud dragon LOL

Yes she is a very good teacher and very powerful in her qigong, now I understand. She showed us an excersize to strengthen our legs, please while your sitting at your computer TRY THIS.

Stick yourt leg out like your doing a front kick, point your toe and then drop down till your butt touches your ankle, then stand up. She did 10 in a row very easilyand graceful , I could do only 1 1/2 and not graceful at all!

Again give it a try , sounds easy but very difficult indeed.

PS she's 52 and a girl! if you think your strong........ dont
    KUNG FU USA
    www.eightstepkungfu.com
    Wu style Taiji Chuan