Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: see what happens when muay thai guy learns from tong po

see what happens when muay thai guy learns from tong po

You can tell this guy who got kod learned muay thai from watching kickboxer like ralek learned muay thai from playing street fighter.

http://www.mma.tv/TUF/index.cfm?ac=L...44&FID=23&p=23

His hands were a little high, but high hands are used for various reasons - when you parry their hands downward, it leaves a greater opening. The clip was short, but it looks like he was inexperienced. He's got the "locomotive jab" - his hand lowers as it returns to his face. I don't think he was jabbing when he got hit though - he looked like he was trying to sweep the kick - he just didn't know that it was coming high.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

It looks like he put his arm down to block cuz he thought the kick was going to be a low kick.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Yeah, that can be a really good technique if you catch the leg and then throw a right hand, it can end the fight, but so can a head high kick

If putting your hands up like that was effective than pro boxers would be doing it too. Don't forget everything Muay thai has regarding punches they stole from boxing, because boxing has superior punches. And they judge their punches according to boxing. If you could parry hits like that why don't you see bocers on espn doing it?

because boxers don't have to scoop kicks. I agree that boxing has superior punching - that's why many thai boxers have incorporated it - but that doesn't mean that the hands high stance doesn't have it's uses.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

And no, they didn't "steal" everything about their punching from boxing. Thai boxing's straight punches travel at a downward trajectory - another reason for the high hands.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

what are scoop kicks? You mean teep kicks? Considering that those are aimed at the body what does that have to do with hand positioning?

I didn't say they don't DO scoop kicks. I said they don't scoop kicks.

Scooping a kick is merely catching the kick, lifting their leg upward/forward, upward/outside, etc. that kills their balance for long enough instance for you to counter. It's a tactic used against the teep.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Considering that those are aimed at the body what does that have to do with hand positioning?

I would think this would be obvious for a guy who has so much to say about boxing and MT. How about in boxing the main target is the head and upper body (since you can't hit below the belt) so you keep your hands high to maximize coverage. In MT, they not only punch, but kick and alot of their kicks and even punches can be lower, so you have to chose a middle ground, hence your guard might be a touch lower.

It looked to me like the KOd guy was trying to throw another jab and the kicking guy timed it just right. Ouch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

looks like he tried to block the kick and missed, leaving him open for a connect square to the jaw. Props to him for trying to get back in though!

Originally posted by Judge Pen
    It looked to me like the KOd guy was trying to throw another jab and the kicking guy timed it just right. Ouch.
    I don't think so - watch his arm - it goes straight down, it didn't go out and then down, like his jab did. I think he intended to block or catch the kick - he zigged when he shoulda zagged.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

However, if he was blocking, it seems like he would've lifted his leg, unless he hasn't broken the habit some have of using the arms to block a low kick.

-Charles Manson

- Shonie Carter

Originally posted by SevenStar

I don't think so - watch his arm - it goes straight down, it didn't go out and then down, like his jab did. I think he intended to block or catch the kick - he zigged when he shoulda zagged.
    You may be right, but I think the guy kicking was aware that he was dropping his guard when jabbing (or trying to scoop his kicks) and was trying to time his kick accordingly. Whether he was blocking or jabbing, he had his clocked cleaned.

This clip is the reason why I try to lift my leg to block low kicks. Even tong po lifted his legs to block low kicks!
    Last edited by Judge Pen; 03-08-2004 at 09:43 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.